Chit Chat

NWR: How soon is too soon?

I hate my job.  I just started in June....the new director took over last August. In the year she has been in charge 5 people have quit. This is in an office of 8 (including her). I tell her I am on top of the work that I currently have and in good shape and  she laughs and tells me she hasn't given me half of what my position is supposed to do (so give it to me already-I OBVIOUSLY have enough time on my hands...I'm on the Knot all the time). I have to pick up responsibilities of a position that is currently open-meaning that I will be working late Tues/Thurs.....my FI is in class till 10pm Mon/Wed. Then I work Saturday afternoons when we have classes for our kids-so basically I see FI Friday evening and Sunday. I saw him more when we were living in seperate towns. She constantly talks down to me and treats me like an idiot. I have a freaking Master's in university admin (I work at a comm.college), and have been working at colleges for 2 years now. Not forever, but its not like I have NO experience. My job is supposed to be "all about the students" ....but whenever one comes into our office she is on my butt to get them out because we are "too busy".  If I can't get to know them however, I cannot help them apply to the colleges that are right for them.This sucks. I only started this job 3 months ago.....can I start looking? If I am truly miserable would it be understandable to other employers if I started looking so soon?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: How soon is too soon?

• Hmm that's a tough one because if you want to work in another college near where you live (do you?) they may not like the fact that you left so soon.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• i don't think it's too early.  it can be easily explained at interview as "i think i would be an excellent fit; i would hate to have this opportunity pass me by!"
  • Yeah, I would definately look for work at another nearby university. And that was my concern, that I would be unhire-able. I moved to this town in June because my fiancee started work her in January. It took me 6 months to find this job. Buuuut......now that school has started and the colleges have their tuition in, they have the money to hire people....so there are some interesting positions available at the university next door.... I think part of the problem is that I had such an amazing job before this. It paid crap, but I loved the people I worked with, I loved the students, I loved my boss (most of the time anyway!). So....I am comparing this crappy job to that. Hard to stack up. Do you think if I answered the common question on applications "Can we contact your current employer?", no-would they disregard my application because of that, giving me no chance-or if my resume is good enough, maybe they would overlook it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the others--go for it.  When you apply for other jobs, it's perfectly acceptable to request they not contact your current employer so that they don't give it away that you are looking. I was in your boat a year ago.  I had just started a new job, awesome pay, sounded like a great opportunity.  As soon as I got there, things started falling apart.  My second week there, the VP of our department was put on a leave of absence for lying to our auditors about some fudged numbers.  My boss assured me everything was going to be ok.  A job opened up closer to home and presumably with less drama, but I didn't apply because I felt bad leaving after just a month and leaving the rest of the team high and dry while the investigation went on.  I should have applied.  Things just got worse.  My boss was a totaldick the remaining 10 months I worked there.  It was a NIGHTMARE.  I finally got fed up enough to leave about 2 months ago, with no job lined up, and I'm still unemployed.  Take it from me, APPLY TO THAT JOB!  It sounds really cool, anyway. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards