Chit Chat

Help! What do i do?

Well we are a little over 5 months left until our wedding. It is a second marriage for both of us. Feels like my first cause its been 14 years! My mom insisted on helping which we did not ask for. But we we so happy that she offered and love her for that. But the problem is , almost every week she says somthing like shes doing all the decorating and not my maid of honor cause she paid for it all. Well i said that was fine , now i just booked my hotel at the crown plaza for me and all my bridesmaids for a night of fun before the wedding day. I have a joining room for my mom and mother in law and my mom got very angry that she wont be in my room. She cussed me out and hung up the phone on me. Then called back and left a message saying shes done don't call her. This has happened before so nothing new. I feel grateful for what she is doing which is decoration, flowers,  and half my gown which is gorgeous by the way. But now i feel like i can't please her. Any sugestions on what i can do. I even told her not to do so much, that just being there was enough. It makes it so hard to be happy wedding planning when shes mad. Last week it was because i got a spray tan for one of my bridesmaids and not her and she called me selfish. When the gift i have for her is way better, and she does not even know. I just think she's to controlling! Please help!

Re: Help! What do i do?

• Its time to sit down with her and explain to her that you are getting another chance to create one of the best days of your life and she is taking it away from you.  She shouldnt be upset about something so little as a hotel room or spray tan.  I totally get what you mean about controlling, I have the same issue with my MIL... Its very hard to get people who want to help out, help out with being in total control.  What a downer... Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Its just a mom thing. Mine is the same way... they always want more and hold what they do for you over your head. I would quit telling her everything. Maybe include her in some of the stuff you do that night, and be like um only so many ppl can sleep in one room!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the quick replys. I did offer to hang out with her and all my girls, she just want's it all about her. But i have never been so happy and i am going to remain positive! I can only do what i can do. I guess weddings can be somewhat stressful! But in the end i will be with the man of my dreams!! Thanks ladies i needed that pick me up!
  • Pay for your own wedding. It really is that simple. Your pay, your say. As long as she pays, she gets some say. Don't like it? Don't take her money. Paying for everything yourself is the only way to solve this problem.
  • Was your mom the type to do this stuff before the wedding planning?  If so, you can't really expect her to change in regards to the wedding.  If not, I would say that there are underlying issues that she may be acting out on.  If she is paying, you are in a tough spot.  $ almost always = strings, and in this case, the strings are your mother's attitude.  Since she's playing the "don't talk to me card," (childish, manipulative behavior, IMO) I would simply call her or send her a card saying that you appreciate all that she has done for you thus far and leave it at that.  Stop talking to her about the wedding planning, and simply pick up where she left off.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i would continue your planning without her and thank her for helping . and just pay for the rest of the wedding. also the best thing to do is sit down and have a talk with her. let her know how your feeling, all moms love helping plan their daughter's wedding.
  • Money always comes with strings and even though your mom is acting like a bit of a child she is paying which gives her the right (as it is her money) to exert control over what she is paying for.You said this sort of thing has happened before, so how did you handle it before? If that worked then do it again.Otherwise, plan and pay for the rest of the wedding yourself unless her attitude calms down.
  • I think you should not tell your mom everything you are doing.  She doesn't really need to know everything.  Some of your activities are for you and your friends and some can, if you want, include your mom.  Don't feel obligated to include her.  I'm a mom myself and wouldn't dream of intruding on my kid's activities.  This is your time to have fun and enjoy your friends.  As you know, once you get married things do change and you don't feel as free to do those extra things with your friends.  Enjoy your time.  Your mom needs to get her own life, and don't let her put a guilt trip on you.  Best wishes.
  • Thanks again for all the advice. I am trying to be understanding, but she can be very overwhelming at times. She does not talk to either of her sisters or father at all, i guess i am afraid she will dis-own me as well. I could never do that. Life is to short, and i am a very happy go lucky person. I wish i could fiqure her out. If she stayed in the room she would be saying lets go to bed at 10.00 p.m. there is just nothing i can do. I guess i will send a card and let her know how i feel. I will tell her I want her to be there but i would rather pay for the things myself if i have to keep having it thrown in my face. I really thoght my mom was my best friend, but i guess some things are better left unsaid:)
  • I don't know what your day-to-day relationship is with her, but it sounds like your mom wants to be a "girlfriend" this time around.  Maybe she feels that because you are older for this wedding, she should be able to be included in the planning and fun things (tanning, get-togethers, whatever) like your bridesmaids.  Her way of showing her unhappiness with feeling excluded is to hold money over your head, but money may not be the real issue.
  • Thanks ladies i got it all worked out. I called her after 3 days and asked her if she was feeling better. I then explained that i love her and was very grateful for her help. I also told her i would let her go tanning with us, and explained that i got her a joining room at the hotel. I told her that i felt it was a girls night for the bridesmaids but i felt she could stay in her own room instead of mine. She finally agreed cussing and being controled was not the best way. She wants to feel more included she said. So i said she is in every aspect of our wedding, but that one night with my girls is special to me. She agreed and we continued to talk and all seems well. Maybe telling her how i felt helped. And now she knows i love her and want her included but just not on certain things.
  • Holy crap, am I the only one who doesn't think this is just "a mom thing" or that her mother is "difficult"? This is beyond being a "momzilla"---this behavior is abusive. Why did she disown your sisters and father for? For not putting up with her?Pay for your own wedding, and don't engage her in her mind games with you. Your mother does not sound mentally stable. Don't let her ruin your wedding/second marriage.
  • my mom is being crazy funny about the wedding--she and my dad got married in the most casual hippie dippie way that she wants me to get married the same way.  i envision country couture and she just hears country casual.  example: the ceremony is going to take place in a beautiful field looking out at the country and mountains and i am having hay bale seating covered in old pretty quilts.  my mom said "i got you 25 hay bales."  My response "we need at least 80, mom."  her reply "we will just use metal folding chairs for the rest."  oy vey. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards