Chit Chat
Options

Wedding Band for my guy

Wasn't sure where to ask this, but I have a question about choosing a wedding band. He and I went to have a look at some this weekend, and we figured out the general style that he likes, but we're torn on the type of metal to get. In general, he tends to like the tungsten/titanium ones best, but we've heard that they can't be nearly impossible to cut off in an accident. On the other hand, I've heard they won't wear down like gold will. Platinum is out of our budget, I'm sure. He doesn't care about his ring being a status symbol, but we don't know which is more practical. Thoughts?
BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
"And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List

Re: Wedding Band for my guy

• Options
    I would go with what you can afford, alot of men are wearing the tungsten ones. They do wear better. They are nice looking has well.
  • Options
    Definately do your research...we've been told the same thing but when we asked a family friend who is a jeweler he said it's a ploy to sell the more expensive ones. There are ways to get the band off in case there is an accident. We decided on tungsten once our jeweler told us the facts.
    Jen Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    My engagement ring band, my band, and my FI band will all be paladium. It's not an easy metal to find, by Reeds has it. It looks and wears like platinum, but is much cheaper.
  • Options
    All hospitals carry the very simple equipment necessary to remove a titanium or tungsten band. Tungsten in particular is designed to be very brittle, and thus easily crushed. This rumor came into existence partly because of confusion about the difference between airplane grade titanium, and jewelry grade titanium. It would not be a great idea to get a ring made out of airplane grade titanium, though it could still be removed... it would just take a while because it's not a common piece of equipment. But anyway. You'll be totally fine with either of those metals. It's very true that jewelers will try to upsell you on the platinum by pulling out this old wives' tale.
  • Options
    Thanks bunches girls. This is really helpful! Now I guess we just have to decide if it's a problem to not be able to re-size the ring.
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    My FI got his tungsten ring from the Diamond Cellar. He chose the size and then in the future if his fingers change we go there and fill out a form and send the ring in and get a new one in the right size. I believe the cost is $50.  So as long as he is not going to freak about having the actual ring he originally had he should be fine.
  • Options
    My DH wanted a ring with a brushed (not shiny) finish and a custom-fit inside (to conform to his finger). Bought it at JCPenney for $125.  Titanium. And here's the link about how titanium certainly CAN be cut off in an emergency: http://www.snopes.com/weddings/horrors/titanium.asp
  • Options
    Couldn't be happier with the tungsten ring we found at Tungsten World. Any good reputable jeweler will have a warranty or sizing policy with tungsten rings in case you need to get that done down the road. Ours came with it, or else we wouldn't have gone the tungsten route. Here's the ring we got, its called the Sattino 8mm http://www.tungstenworld.com/SATTINO-8mm-Satin-Tungsten-Wedding-Ring/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards