Chit Chat
Options

Don't do this!

I was recently a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding. Today, I received a Thank You card. The card was clearly a do-it-yourself kit. The card just had a border and the bride and groom printed Thank You on the front. On the inside (and this upset my stomach to see, much less read) was a typed, generic note containing many misspelling and grammatical errors. It basically said very generically, thank you for coming out... "thank you for the wonderful gift"... We hope to keep in contact "with everyone such as Christmas cards, birthdays, or just to say hey cards." It goes on to talk about how they are planning to buy a house in the next year or two, but for now you can contact them at XYZ address or via email (with the email address). Let me just say that this was incredibly insulting. Plus it was tacky looking, especially since they printed the note on a separate sheet of paper, hand cut and glued to the inside of the card. As a bridesmaid, I went out of my way to make her day special. I spent a lot of money purchasing gifts for not only the day of the wedding but for the many bridal showers... and you sent me a generic, typed message that spends more time talking about you than thanking me? Brides, don't follow this lead! Take the time to write a short note. Everyone knows that the Thank You note writing process can be long and painful, but it's worth the impression that it makes!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Don't do this!

• Options
    OH wow! Thats horrible! Especially since you were a bridesmaid! She should have sent you a much more special note! That is tacky and rude!
  • Options
    If I had a choice between that and nothing, I'd choose nothing.
  • Options
    Unreal! For the amount of effort that the cutting and pasting took, she could have hand written them!
  • Options
    It's so sad that people have taken the easy way out instead of sharing on a personal level.   It takes care to maintain relationships and this bride does not have a clue.
  • Options
    the generic pre-printed card seems to be taking over... i don't mind the car itself... but please include a personalized note. otherwise it can be hurtful.
  • Options
    sooooo tacky!!!
  • Options
    Sorry, the point I was making about it being a homemade card was that if she was going to send such a generic card, and she already had a kit that she could put through the printer, why didn't she print the note directly on the card? My fiance - who has just about no opinion on the finer details of wedding activities - was even appalled by it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Klassy girl.I hate generic thank yous.  I got one for my cousin's wedding, but it was at least hand-written.  I wanted to ask, hey, did you get my gift?  Because I did send one.  But I didn't say anything. 
  • Options
    that is about as tasteless as you can get!   People have completely lost touch of what etiquette is any more.  Its almost as if they are saying hey so glad you gave us something but dont expect us to actually acknowledge it any way!   also with the economy being as bad as it is, it is all that much more important to send people a REAL thank you note to show that you appreciate them being willing buy you a gift.
  • Options
    some people just don't have enough respect for the work everyone else put into making everything perfect for them.
  • Options
    If I had a choice between that and nothing, I'd choose nothing.THIS!!!It took her the same amount of time to create that monstrosity than it did to write a personalized note.I've been working on mine and specifically thank the person for what the gift was, how we intend to use it, and mention whether or not we'll see them at Christmas, the next football game, etc.  It's really not that hard!!!
  • Options
    That is so tacky. Since FI is a graphic designer, we were going to make our thank you notes, so I'm all about the DIY. But we were planning on making them look really nice and, of course, every single one would have a personalized message. I just can't imagine having people share our day and then send them a crappy card with a generic note. ::Sigh::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards