Chit Chat
Options

To toss, or not to toss?

My fiance and I will be 40 when we get married.  As we were making our guest list we realized that we have a total of 6 people that will actually be single.  I realize that "tossing" the bouquet is a traditional event at weddings, but I'm afraid that the "girls" in the wedding may feel a bit uncomfortable.  This is due to the fact that we only have one single male friend that will be attending.  Is this an expectation of all single ladies?  Do I need to explain why I'm not doing it?  Um, help.

Re: To toss, or not to toss?

• Options
    You can do whatever you want in this aspect. Do it if you want. Don't do it if you don't want to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm the same age.  We did not have one.  We only had 1 or 2 people even mention it during the planning.  We stated the reason why we are not doing the toss and never heard about it again.  I do not think our guests even noticed we did not do one at the wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm 25 and didn't have one. A few people asked about it, mostly H's younger sister and kinda whined about it, but no one else really cared or missed it.
  • Options
    My DD had all females come onto the floor for the toss. I think the DJ said something about it being for good luck for the B&G.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Most modern weddings skip it. you have probably if 40 been one of those people in teh ladies room trying to avoid this toss. Skip it nobody will notice and you will not make your single female friends feel alkward and miserable
  • Options
    We are in our thirties - no bouquet toss for us (or garter toss).We have thrown most traditions out the window as it just does not "fit" us.Besides, we are having a small wedding - under 18 guests - and many of them immediate family and coupled up. It would be grandma v. grandma fighting for the bouquet and we don't want any broken hips at our wedding ;)
  • Options
    You can do whatever you choose and not explain it.  I'm 29, we skipped the bouquet toss and the garter toss.  None of our guests noticed or mentioned it. 
  • Options
    I'm 28 and will be skipping it and no announcement will be made as to why we're not doing it. I don't think anyone will really notice and if they do I'm sure they wont care that they didn't get a chance to catch the bouquet.
  • Options
    I'm 23 and skipping it.  We have a total of two (well, technically three) single female guests, and I would never subject them to that.  You don't need to explain anything, just don't do it.  I doubt many people will notice.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I'm 25 and skipping it. Initially we were going to just skip the garter (FI and I weren't comfortable with it) ... but then we realized we only have like 10 people total attending that are unmarried anyway ... and 6 of them are either engaged or in really serious relationships (Where they pretty much would opt not to get up and do it anyway), so we scrapped the whole thing. From what I've been told, nobody really misses it if you skip it, so I wouldn't worry.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    We are skipping it as there will only be a couple of single people there.  I don't want to call them out.  Plus I don't want to pay for another bouquet to toss.  I'm keeping mine!
  • Options
    You can do whatever you want, if you feel it will make people uncomfortable, dont do it.  You can always pass your bouquet off to a mom, grandma, little girl, anyone who is special. You don't have to make a thing about it.  I know plenty of brides who aren't doing it.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    Here's a suggestion... I've been to a wedding where instead of the bride tossing the bouquet, she made a little speech about her mom and then gave her the bouquet to show her appreciation. You could always do something like that! :)
  • Options
    We didn't do a toss, and I had PLENTY of single friends at our wedding. Reasons for not doing either toss? We didn't want DH going up my skirt in front of our families, didn't want to make our single friends feel awkward, and thirdly, because no one likes this part of the wedding, EXCEPT for the bride....sometimes.We instead did an anniversary dance. Everyone who was married came out on the dance floor and danced to a song we picked. The MC would then call off "sit down if you've been married for 7 years or less..." until one couple remained. That couple must give you advice on a healthy happy marriage (or whatever you want, nothing if you prefer) and just give them the tossing bouquet.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I'm 27 and I've always felt uncomfortable with the bouquet toss.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    We're not doing a toss either.  I've always hated them as a guest, plus we don't have very many singletons coming anyway.
  • Options
    We haven't officially decided yet, but we're probably skipping it. We're in our thirties and don't have very many single friends.
    I'm considering just handing my bouquet to one of my bridesmaids who is marrying one of our groomsmen three months after my wedding.
  • Options
    I am 35 and not doing a bouquet toss/garter.  I remember what it was like when I was single and I hated being reminded that I was single I would always try and hide during that part.  I also don't want my fiance going up my skirt in front of family and friends. I haven't decided yet about the anniversary dance.  I have also noticed at weddings in the past couple of years that people are not doing the bouquet/garter.
  • Options
    We are not tossing the bouquet only because most of my friends are married or engaged. (Same boat).  I am having a band and I would hate to pay them for about a half hour where there is no dancing going on.  (We aren't doing the garter toss either).  For us it just makes sense to not have to interrupt the dancing.  You can do whatever you want!!!!! 
  • Options

I'm 35 and most of the people attending are married or still in high school so we're opting not to do the toss.  There are a lot of interesting suggestions on an alternative to the toss on the boards and internet.

Best of luck!  Laughing

• Options

FI and I went to his cousins wedding and she had a purse toss to involve all the ladies not just the single ladies. It was alot of fun and I think a few friendly threats were thrown here and there!

• Options
    This is great guys! I was going to do the bouquet toss and not the garter thing but after reading this I realize that A) the few single friends will possibly be humiliated (The last time I was at a wedding I even caught it and then dropped it becuase I was so embarrased because my boyfriend who was lagging on proposing was with me!) and B) No one will probably notice! and C) I'll save money on the toss bouquet I was going to buy!
  • Options
    My daughter and her husband skipped both the bouquet and the garter toss at their recent wedding.

To my knowledge, no one ever noticed that they were skipped.
  • Options
    We skipped both the bouquet and garter toss.  We had no desire to do either and not one guest said anything about it (I feel like it makes people uncomfortable so maybe they were relieved!).  Instead of the toss we did an Anniversary Dance which ended up being really nice.  The couple that had been married the longest got a bouquet.
  • Options
    We have no singles over 18 so we are doing an anniversary dance... the DJ will call all the couples to the dance floor, put on a slow song ("Can I Have This Dance" for the rest of my life) then he will send people off by how long they have been together so that we end up with the couple that has been together the longest and they will be handed the bouquet and garter
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  The opinions are in and it's "no toss" for us.  We really appreciate everyone's comments!
  • Options
    I am getting married in December and I am not doing the toss.  All but three of my good friend there are not married- but two of them are actually divorced.  We are in our 30's.  I always think of that Sex and the City episode where the bouquet gets thrown and lands on the floor in front of them and they look at each other and walk away.  I think I am going to give mine to my mother.
  • Options
    I'm 25, I'll be almost 27 when we get married.  We don't plan to toss either the bouquet or the garter.  The vast majority of our friends and family are married, plus I've always hated bouquet tosses anyway.  But, it's your wedding, you should do whatever you want!  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm actually sad that I will no longer be able to participate in the bridal toss as a catcher anymore... I love the thrill of ripping it out of another girl's hands (flame me all you like, it's the honest truth - it just feels really good to win).

If I were a friend at your wedding I probably wouldn't realize that you didn't do the bouquet toss until afterwards and then I'd be a little disappointed at my missed opportunity, but it's certainly not something I'd cry about in my diary (if I had one).

Just do what feels right to you.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like the tradition, it's all in good fun and I've never been to a wedding where people didn't laugh and joke about it....With that said I'll have plenty of single friends at our wedding even though we're 30...So if you don't have single friends there is not need to have a toss.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards