Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Are people really that unclassy that they steal Centerpieces?

I am having a victorian themed wedding and a friend suggested that I borrow crystal vases from family and friends instead of buying vases to give a old fasioned feel. I love the idea I think they would be beautiful. Later I was talking with one of my fiances buddies about the idea and he said he doesn't think thats a good idea because people steal centerpieces all the time, he said he had stolen lots of them for his wife. Is this true do people really do that if I borrow crystal do I need to worry that I will have to replace it? Can our MC announce please to not take the centerpieces? I just think that is so tacky I don't want to have to announce it but what if I have to replace 50 year old crystal?

Re: Are people really that unclassy that they steal Centerpieces?

• Options
    I have never seen anyone "steal" a CP, but at every wedding I've been to, the CP was given away at the end of the night. I think having the DJ announce it would be the best way to communicate to your guests that they're not to be taken.
  • Options
    Agree with Jamilynn, but get your DJ to make the announcement in such a way that people aren't going to be miffed.

"Don't steal the CPs" = bad.

But something alerting guests to the fact that the B&G don't own the CPs, and how they're in borrowed, antique vases (which need to be returned) should do the trick.
  • Options
    Maybe the MC could announce something about how the centerpieces are donated from so-and-so, just so people know that they aren't yours. Or maybe a note on the table saying the same thing, that way its not announced...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I can't imagine taking a centerpiece unless it was announced that the guests were welcome to take them!  We had centerpieces that were in marble urns and I would have been pretty shocked if someone felt free to take it.  The urns belonged to the florist, btw

And i've never seen anyone try to take a centerpiece.  i think most people donate the flowers to homes for the aged but may remove the vase if it's valuable
  • Options
    I must go to wedding where there are unclassy people.  I don't think this is uncommon and  I think the bigger the wedding, the more likely.  But I do think most people think they are for the taking.  My older cousin had to pay mucho bucks for rented centerpieces that people took after the wedding.  I would also try to emphasize that these pieces are personal pieces loaned from individuals in whatever way you decide to announce it.
  • Options
    maybe you can add a little note card for each vase to list who the vase from borrowed from. like a little acknowledgment card you would see next to a piece of art. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_people-really-unclassy-steal-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:f8a2c6da-6087-4337-b3fd-71385879f203Post:4e9bd03f-0a5d-4548-a0db-a10524e1adc7">Re: Are people really that unclassy that they steal Centerpieces?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh love Audrey's idea. Thank someone for letting you BORROW these beautiful antique vases.
    Posted by MissMandey[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! I just think a simple note on the table thanking people who lent you the centerpeices would be enough to keep people from taking them. Its simple and doesn't really interfer with the flow of the ceremony. Having it announced would disrupt the flow of your ceremony.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Sit the guests at the table their vase it at?  Then if they see someone trying to walk away with it, they can yell at them.

Or any of the PP's ideas :)
  • Options

In this area, it is common for people to take the CPs at the end of the reception.   Every wedding I have been to, including my own, people have walked out with the CP's.  In fact, I have done so myself.   

If you don't want people to take them, have your DJ make an announcement or spread the word.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards