Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Need a Flower Girl

We do not have any young little girls in our close circle of friends or in our immediate family.  I do have 2 cousins with little girls, but they live a good ways off and the little girls do not travel well.  I hate to ask them because I don't want to create a hardship on them.  I'm not sure if they're coming to the wedding.  Can we ask a little girl from our church?  Can we ask an old friend's little girl?  (We're not on bad terms, just kinda moved an hour away and don't see or talk to each other as much as we used to.) 
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: Need a Flower Girl

• You are aware that you can have a wedding without a flower girl aren't you?  You'll still be just as married without one as you will with a cute little tot walking down the aisle.

This definitely falls into the category of "you don't have one, you don't need one, just skip it."

Why would you want some random little child that you're not particularly close to anyway?  The single, only purpose of an FG is to look cute.  They're most definitely not essential.  At.  All.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I'm not having a flower girl at all. I have too many cousins. I don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt. I mean, sure, people won't laugh and go "oh how cute" but who cares. The wedding is about you and your FI.
  • Just don't have one.  It would be really weird to ask someone that you aren't close to just to have a prop.
  • You shouldn't have a flower girl just for the cuteness factor. We're not having one because we don't have any very young girls in the family. You ask someone to be in your bridal party because they are very special to you and you can't imagine having your big day without them by your side- not because you "have" to.

Think of it as one less dress to pick out and stress over :)
    Photobucket
  • Why on earth would you ask someone random to be your flower girl?  Just skip it.  Hell, we have a couple of viable flower girl options in our family, and we're still skipping it because we don't want to deal with the hassle.  A flower girl isn't remotely necessary.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • yea break aweay from the tradition. for example, our "ring bearer" wont have a ring. He is just walking with my falower girl. I think the best man should take care of the ring. And actually, out of 3/5 weddings I have been to, I have seen flower girls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think a flower girl is needed and since you are not that close to any little girls it may be a good idea to skip it. A wedding party should be filled with people you love and want to be near you. Also think of how ackward the child will feel. If you don't them that well it could be very stressful for the little girl.
  • We aren't having a flower girl.  We have on girl the right age in our family (groom's niece) but she can't behave so we aren't going to risk it.  We are having her older brother be a junior groomsman instead of a ring bearer.  We are making our own rules.
  • We're having 5; you can borrow one of mine.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Ditto pps. Skip the flower girl. DH and I didn't have any kids in the wedding, but we also aren't crazy about kids in general. Either way, no reason to rent one to be a flower girl :-)
  • I don't have any either, the closest thing to a flower girl will be my fiances goddaughter who will be just about a year old at the time. We will ask her parents (our very close friends) for her to be the flower girl but I think essentially she will just wear the outfit and not walk down the aisle, since she would be just starting to learn how to walk. We will have two ring bearers (they're twins so we couldn't just pick one and think they're sooo cute, they'll be 3)
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • You should post on Craigslist.  That's what one girl did to get her bridesmaids.  She didn't have any friends left because she was being so annoying about her wedding, so she hired some on Craigslist.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_need-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:f9e94f13-2bf5-4d13-8305-76411f702de7Post:fa6b8581-b591-48dd-937f-d22b8e535b79">Re: Need a Flower Girl</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should post on Craigslist.  That's what one girl did to get her bridesmaids.  She didn't have any friends left because she was being so annoying about her wedding, so she hired some on Craigslist.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

0r you could advertise on ebay?  Let people bid to have their "little princess" be flower-girl for the day.
  • If it makes you feel better, I'm not having a flower girl or a ring bearer!  We just don't really have family in the right age group for it.  They are either too old, too young, or cause WAY too much trouble.

I think less than half of the weddings I've been to have had flower girls.  For the most part, they get antsy, and I would almost rather not have one for fear of what might go wrong.  Too much anxiety.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards