Chit Chat
Options

Bummed-Photographer Vent

FI and I won a free engagement session at a bridal event we attended with a photographer we liked.  She was really nice and we liked what we saw in her portfolio, etc, so we were really excited.  Along with the free session, we were able to choose either a mini album (10 4x6 pics) or an 8x10 canvas print.
We had our session, and she posted the pics on her website for us to view and choose what we want.
The pictures are AWFUL.  I mean, bad angles, double chins, weird wide angle lens, etc.  We both look short and fat in every single picture-like when you're watching something on TV in widescreen that wasn't meant for widescreen-kind of stretched.  It's just odd.  We're both fairly photogenic, generally, so it's not as if neither of us has ever taken a good picture before.  We look better in random candid photos that our friends take. 
I think what's bugging me so much is that I feel like she should have noticed that these were not flattering pictures when she looked at the digital image right after taking the photos. I'm wondering if maybe she just didn't care since it was free.
I'm so bummed.  We really liked her and figured if we liked the photos we'd book her for the wedding.  Now we don't know what to do.
We're afraid to book someone based off their portfolios b/c hers looked really good! 
Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Have any of you ladies experienced something like this?

Re: Bummed-Photographer Vent

• Options
    peachykeen26peachykeen26 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    That sucks. Can't say that I'm completely shocked though. Get on your local board and ask around for recommendations. Surely some of the girls on there can help.

As for the free stuff, I would pick the one absolute worst picture and have it done on a canvas just so that in a few years you can look back and laugh about it.
    I think a book is too much bad all in one place.
    On the plus side, at least it's free!
    ETA: Any way you can post some here?

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    HAHA That's actually not a bad idea.  We should pick the double chinniest one we can find and have it blown up.
    I can't post them due to copywriting, etc, but believe me, they're bad.  My FI's reaction: "I look like a tool in every single picture".
  • Options
    Oh that sucks! I guess I'd get them done again by whichever photographer you want to book for your wedding photos. That's what we did as a "trial", and since we liked them we booked her for the wedding.

She may do them over for you if you're really unhappy, but not sure you'd want to go through that agin or not. I don't think MY fi would try a bad photographer again, but he hates haing his picture taken.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    Stage, you're correct, so that's definitely a plus.  And I guess it narrows the choices by one. LOL
    I don't think either of us is willing to do another session with her.  Honestly for someone who talked about how much schooling and years of experience she's had, I'm calling shenanigans on the fact that she didn't notice that the pictures were horrible.  I mean, we're not exactly trolls, ya know? 
    I'm going to get on my local board and get some recs.  I'm also going to ask a few friends who they used.  I was in at least one wedding where the pictures turned out beautifully-including the ones that included me and/or FI.  Maybe we'll just go that route.
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    edited July 2012
    Linger that's a good point-but we looked at the pics on a couple of different computers with different settings and we both hated them, so I think it's safe to say they're pretty bad.
    I totally get your point about the free services thing, but in this case it was for an engagement session only, and only for the 2 specific print options.  If we wanted anything else we'd have to pay for it. 
    I think what we'll likely do is find the ones that we hate the least, take the album, and move on.  It's unfortunate though, especially since judging from the other photos I saw on her site, she has done some beautiful work.  I have a feeling she just didn't care since she wasn't going to make any money for this session.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bummed-photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1ea342f4-83ba-4986-9749-2b4d7ac4c338Post:d0709eef-2d00-40f2-b028-4196457c91b6">Re:BummedPhotographer Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sucks, but at least you know now and aren't out any money, right?
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This.  I would be happy that I found out that she stinks and that I didn't shell out a crap ton of money for her to photograph my wedding only for the pictures to turn out completely hideous.

• Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bummed-photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1ea342f4-83ba-4986-9749-2b4d7ac4c338Post:35fb07e9-bf3f-4bd4-b5eb-72ea31ba5096">Re:BummedPhotographer Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:BummedPhotographer Vent : This.  I would be happy that I found out that she stinks and that I didn't shell out a crap ton of money for her to photograph my wedding only for the pictures to turn out completely hideous.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

For sure, you are so right.  See, this is why I posted this here.  I was feeling all bummed about having to start over with finding a photographer and not knowing if their work would be any good, and now I feel better. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bummed-photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1ea342f4-83ba-4986-9749-2b4d7ac4c338Post:08fff092-9308-406b-8c84-a8658da70e34">Re: Bummed-Photographer Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sucks. Can't say that I'm completely shocked though. Get on your local board and ask around for recommendations. Surely some of the girls on there can help. <strong>As for the free stuff, I would pick the one absolute worst picture and have it done on a canvas just so that in a few years you can look back and laugh about it.</strong> I think a book is too much bad all in one place. On the plus side, at least it's free! ETA: Any way you can post some here?
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto!

<div>I ran the Disney Marathon a few years ago, and sucktastic, it's around New Year, so I still had my holiday chubs on. I ran one of my slowest times ever, but after going through my race pics, I picked out a decent one from mile 11. I still looked semi-fresh and happy, and I was running through Cinderella's Castle.</div><div>
    </div><div>The plaque with the pic came to my office. OMFG, I have NEVER seen a worse photo. They sent the wrong one. Probably from like, mile 23. I am mouth breathing. I have a double chin. I'm barely moving. I look FAT. My colleagues were laughing their happy a**es off at me. I called the photography company straight away to get it fixed, and at first they denied their error. They were like, "Well, MA'AM, which one did you want?" I told them. "Well, MA'AM, which one did you get?" I told them. "Ooohhh..." I was like, "Yeah, on what planet could anyone have thought THAT was the photo I selected?" They apologized profusely and sent me a replacement, express. But my mom still has the original plaque in her house, for laughs.</div></div>
  • Options
    This happened to FI and me. I fell in love with a DC-based photographer and HAD to have her do our pictures, so we paid some crazy amount of money for an engagment session as a trial (thank God) and we hate all our pictures too. Same reasons-- bad angles, weird focus, whatever. It ended up being a huge waste of money but we found a more affordable photographer who offered us a free engagement session as part of our wedding photography package, and he is amazing. You'll find someone, keep looking :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    You ladies are awesome, I will definitely start calling around.  BTW Pippa, that's hilarious.  At least you can laugh about it!  Plus they fixed the error, which is nice.
    It'll all turn out ok, I'm sure.  We've got a long way to go before the wedding just yet, but so far everything else is going very smoothly (I'm knocking on wood as I type that), so bad free pics don't seem so bad. 
    I just made my first gown shopping appointment for tomorrow night so that's something to be excited/terrified about instead!
  • Options
    Great, now I'm worried after reading several posts here. My photographer just sent me a link so that I can a pay a deposit.

She has really great reviews in our area, and we love her portfolio... But what if her photos of us suck? FI is very unphotogenic. He can't smile and keep his eyes open without looking like a deranged clown. Ever seen that episode of Friends, where Monica and Chandler are trying to get an engagement photo taken? Ack!
  • Options
    The SAME thing happened to us! I mean the same thing! We won a free engagement shoot and were really pumped about it. I thought it went really well and I was really excited to get the pictures. Then she sent me a teaser pic and it was just AWFUL! I hated it. Needless to say we have booked another photographer for the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bummed-photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1ea342f4-83ba-4986-9749-2b4d7ac4c338Post:92370570-0854-441d-888f-ba2db5f0048c">Re: Bummed-Photographer Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bummed-Photographer Vent : Why? Did you pick the same photographer? Don't let this scare you.  With any vendor you're taking a risk, but hopefully before selecting your vendor you did ample research and feel somewhat confident they won't fcuk you over.  It could happen, but just because it happened to someone else with a different vendor doesn't mean it will happen to you.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We did a bunch of research, and my FI liked her style and personality the best. She's got lots of great reviews. No negative reviews.</div><div>
    </div><div>I went ahead and posted in my local board just now, but it's not super-active. I just don't want to put a bunch of money down, then do an engagement session, and have it be awful.

</div>
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    gmcr78 - I could recommend 2 photographers that I've worked with and both would travel to the Philadelphia area for your wedding.  Let me know and I can send you a PM.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bummed-photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1ea342f4-83ba-4986-9749-2b4d7ac4c338Post:293fd64e-104f-4231-994a-c2ef8c1f722f">Re: Bummed-Photographer Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]gmcr78 - I could recommend 2 photographers that I've worked with and both would travel to the Philadelphia area for your wedding.  Let me know and I can send you a PM.
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

I'd love a rec, please PM! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards