Chit Chat

"What are you waiting for?!" Mini-Rant

So yesterday FI and I booked our venue for Saturday, October 25, 2014....Not thinking I excitedly posted on my FB "On Friday, October 25th, 2014 I will officially become Mrs. Name Name Name!" - Only one person asked "what are you waiting for?" on my wall but I received that question in my inbox from three other people followed by another private message of "Are you pregnant?!" with the sender thinking we are getting married so 'late' because I'm expecting.

Seriously, not everyone plans their wedding for the day after they get engaged! The thing that surprises me most is that everyone who asked why we are waiting, all know us on a very personal level. FI and I simply chose our date because it made more sense financially.

And no, I'm not pregnant.
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: "What are you waiting for?!" Mini-Rant

• Unfortunately, when you post stuff like that on FB, you open yourself up to people's stupid comments. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • General rule for the rest of your wedding planning:  keep the details to yourself.  Like J&K said, not only will you be missing out on those unwise comments, but in general you won't find yourself explaining or defending your plans.  And on FB, in particular, it's not particularly nice to post about an event you won't be inviting every last FB friend to.
  • Yeah, I learned not to share with everyone lol.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We got a little bit of that. 

We were engaged in March 2009 and didn't pick a date until July 2009.  It was for May 2011, just less than two years away.

When people asked (and they did), I gave them the most straightforward answer I could: 2010 is too busy for a wedding.  That usually satisified them.
  • We had a two year engagement as well and are so glad we did.  It was really nice to be able to plan everything slowly instead of feeling rushed. 
  • Yeah, we also had a long engagement, and a few people asked.  We just told them the truth:  I didn't want to plan a wedding while in grad school, and we wanted lots of time to save up money to have a nice wedding without feeling stressed about the money.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • We get some of that too, but only in person since I didn't annouce the date on facebook. People like to share their opinions on things that are none of their business sometimes, and weddings seem to bring that out in spades!

And you know that if you had a short engagement people would ask what the hurry was. This is something you just can't win, so just know that you're making the best decision for both of ou. (And remember to keep stuff off facebook if you don't want opinions! Laughing )
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • People asked us the same thing, and we were only having a 16 month engagement. No one realizes most of us can't pull money out of our a$$es to pay for a wedding that quickly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Man, I'd be snarky enough to post another status thanking them for their concern...

But I don't know if I'd recommend that. All you really have to say is "because that's what we chose". As for the "are you pregnant" people... I'd act insulted that that's their first thought. Let them know that is not an appropriate thing to ask someone, ever.
  • Yeah, I didn't even respond to the "Are you pregnant?!" message.

In the end our engagement will be shy of three years, which sounds so long, but the first six months have already flown by!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • You have my sympathy on the "are you pregnant" thing. That was the first thing my mom said to me after I told her I was engaged. The kicker is I don't really want kids and even if I did I have medical issues where I might not be able to have them, and my mom knows about it. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, Facebook is the devil! Haha. Really though, people get on there and it's like they lose all concept of acceptable social behavior. Because they have the mask of the computer, they don't feel fully connected to their actions. It's sad really how people act these days.

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've know plenty of people who waited 2 years to get hitched.
    I've been trying to avoid posting any details (of what little so far we've planned since we haven't even been engaged a week yet...lol) on FB.
    We've decided on our invite design and I had a little twitch to post the great news, then I thought better of it. People can be pretty opinionated and I'd rather make it a surprise anyways!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest PitaPata Dog tickers my read shelf:
    Jen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards