Chit Chat
Options

What should my colors be?

My fiancé and I are having our wedding in June. We had decided on dark blue and a lighter green for our colors, but I'm just not happy with that choice. I then decided on purple, green and black, but now I'm having second thought about that, too. I want our wedding to be elegant but at the same time laid back. We also differ vastly in what kind of colors we like. What should I do? Help!!!!

Re: What should my colors be?

• Options
    I think either one of those color combos are really pretty.

Your wedding is pretty far away... so you will probably change your mind on your colors a little bit.  I didn't have my colors locked in until we ordered our bridesmaid dresses, and that was a little over a month ago.

Don't stress so much!
    panther
  • Options
    sounds like you should pick 2 colors that are elegant, understated and then add a pop of color.

we are using black, silver, and pink for our daytime wedding.  i chose these colors because i wanted pink flowers popping off the black BM dresses and i love silver accents!

you could do 
    *navy and white with light green, yellow, lavender, or pink.
    *purple and white with pops of green.
    *brown and cream with light blue.

have fun choosing!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Do you have your venue picked out?  Maybe that will help you decide. 

I picked my colors based on the venue and the color bridesmaid dresses I thought would look good on the girls. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ours are black, white and green.  I chose black for BM dresses because I wanted them to all be able to pick dresses that they feel comfortable in.  Any other color like brown or blue would have too many shade variations.  For June there are all kinds of pretty colors.  Maybe green and a lighter blue?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What about adding silver to it? Our colors were purple, aqua/teal & silver. You can see pics in my married bio how everything turned out. I think the purple, green & black and/or silver would be really pretty. And I got married in June, too.
  • Options

Navy blue BM dresses with butter yellow flowers.

Or do what we did:
    We skipped a color theme entirely.  Just used a lot of white with very few pink accents.

My dress was kind of a creamy white, FI wore a light gray suit, the table linens were all white, the centerpieces were metal lanterns surrounded with greens with a white candle inside, we put a ring of dusty-rose-colored carnations between the lanterns and the plates, the programs were white tied together with a pink ribbon, and the cake was all white with light pink trim,

• Options

I would wait a while before "finalizing" the colors. Trust me, I seriously changed my mind like several times between when I got engaged to when I actually had to start making real choices and picking things.

I started out wanting aqua and brown. Then I changed the aqua to dusty rose. Then I changed the brown to champagne. Then I changed the rose color to moss green. Then the green became navy blue. Then the champagne became silver. Finally navy blue became eggplant (Or "lapis" according the David's Bridal).

Although, one of the most fun things for me while planning the wedding was playing around with the different colors. Just keep going through different magazines and online photos (Google is your friend) and see what inspires you. Like PPs suggested, you're best bet (To avoid being overwhelmed and to keep things relatively coordinated) is to pick 1 or 2 main colors and then just add little pops of another color here and there. Good luck and have fun!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_should-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:25fd4bd2-3fae-49b6-a429-826e5132e053Post:5fdd5995-f24a-4af6-8f19-7a4162874b1d">Re: What should my colors be?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would wait a while before "finalizing" the colors. Trust me, I seriously changed my mind like several times between when I got engaged to when I actually had to start making real choices and picking things.Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I went between red and blue, jewel tones and pastels, earthy to vibrant. I was all over the place. We FINALLY selected a light aqua blue with some pops of darker blues (shades of blue everywhere!! it's a water themed wedding) with silvers and whites and creams. I think selecting a few neutral tones and then a pop of color as a PP suggested is a really great way to keep things elegant and still very interesting.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I went from red, white, blue and silver (this is for a military wedding- when he wasnt going to wear his uniform, to thinking Black, pink, Silver to Black, purple silver to just using Navy Blue (marine-davids bridal color) and Fuschia- (watermelon-davids bridal color) with accents of lighter blues and pinks. now he is wearing his uniform.
    ~my new planning bio~ ~I am proud to be in love with a American Solider- He's a true American hero~ ~"When i close my eyes by your side is where i'll always be"~
  • Options
    I actually chose my colors right off the bat and stuck with them. It's been just over six months since I've been engaged and I'm still happy with my choices. But its easy to change your mind about anything and everything throughout the planning process. So I would get ideas, but don't feel like you have to stick with the decision, unless you start making big purchases in your colors, like BM dresses. 

That said, I really love it when people pair purple with little accents of green. I'm not a big fan of navy in general, but I think a lighter blue and a light green would be great. I love bright colors for summer weddings.
    April 2011 November Siggy: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We also picked our colors based on our bm dresses.  We wanted something that would complement everyone's complexions.

How about having a consult with your florist.  They can usually do a mock up of an arrangement that might inspire you.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    BM dresses actually were what sealed the deal on the "lapis" for me. My girls and I found a dress that we really liked, but we only liked it in the lapis color (For some reason, it just didn't look as good in Navy, which was supposed to be the original dress color). So dark purple became the main color after that.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options

What colors inspire you?
    I happened across a color scheme in a magazine and fell in love. The colors are/have been the inspiration for the over-all vibe of our wedding.

• Options
    Meg, we're using DB Lapis, too! It's such a nice color - elegant, understated, and not quite blue or purple (I'm obsessed with cobalt glass; FI's favorite color is purple). And, as an added bonus, it works with ALL of my girls' skintones. We're accenting it with chartreuse for our March wedding, but adding little pops of other colors too (pinks, creams, etc.)

That being said, Kate, I think a good place to start is by looking at some of the color combos on the front page of The Knot, and by perusing bridal magazines. Also, start looking for inspiration in the things you love. Do you have a patterned blouse that has really amazing colors? Is there a theme you're considering that lends itself to a particular color story? Also, as ehathewa said, consider your venue, too. If you're doing a seaside wedding, something like navy might work, especially if you want to make it a little more nautical.

Just food for thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards