Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

non-religious ceremony

Neither me or my FI are religious so we're opting out of the traditional bible readings. I've brainstormed some ideas of what we can do/say during the ceremony, but would like to see what some of the other couples who aren't having a religious ceremony are doing. So...for the non-religious brides, what are your plans for the ceremony?

Re: non-religious ceremony

• Our Officiant did a beautiful ceremony that was non-religious.  We incorporated a sand ceremony and presented roses to our Moms and hugged our parents after we exchanged vows and rings.  Pics in wedding bio.  If you scroll down to the bottom of my wedding bio, click the link that says Helpful Sites.  Our non-religious ceremony wording is in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our non-religious ceremony was very simple, short, and emotional.  It followed the normal ceremony format: opening, intent, vows, ring exchange, and closing.  My husband's stepmom officiated, so it was very intimate.  We didn't have a sand ceremony, unity candle, or readings and our ceremony still ended up being about 20 minutes.

Here is a site with many non-religious options for each part of the ceremony: http://www.floridakeysweddings.us/WeddingCeremonyIdeas.htm
    weddingcollage
  • I'm in the same boat in terms of looking for secular ceremony elements.  I also want the ceremony to be reasonably long, because it's in a different place from the reception, and I want people to have time to enjoy the ceremony site (my family's farm).  Otherwise I would probably do something quick.  Right now I'm just looking into poems and other non-religious passages, and I'm exploring cultural traditions from each of our backgrounds.  Please do share any more resources that you find!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am planning a non-religious ceremony (almost secretly, because both families are religious).  I am having the reading "To be one with each otehr" by George Eliot, 1st Corithians 13:4-8 (even though we are not Christians, this passage says beautiful things about love, it hung above my parents bed when I was growing up, and still does, so it is close to my heart), and the we are having the officiant do a "Blessing of the hands" ceremony without the "bless" part.  We cut the prayer part at the end, and I find it really meaningful:

Bride and Groom, please take each others hands so that you may see the gift that they are to each of you.  

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold and care for your children, the hands that will help you hold your family as one.  

These are the hands that will support and encourage you to chase down your dreams.

These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times, the hands that will comfort you when you are sick and console you when you are grieving. 

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

May they always be held by one another.

• We are having a reading from one of my favorite novels, "The Alchemist"....it's on page 94ish and is about soulmates and love being the language of the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards