Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

ceremony early or with a reception immediately after

What do people really think about having a ceremony early in the day (2ish) and asking people to come back for the reception later in the evening (6-630ish)
Or do people prefer everything all in a row....

I like the idea of having the time in between for a lot of pics and relaxing with  my bridal party, but wasn't sure what people really thought about it.  I don't mind/haven't minded in the past...

Re: ceremony early or with a reception immediately after

• Options
    I was talking with one of my BMs about a wedding she attended this summer that had a gap.  She just couldn't believe how rude it was.  I guess it's currently in vogue in her area, but all of the guests were grumbling about it.  Apparently it's If I were invited to a wedding with a large gap, I'd either skip the ceremony or decline the whole thing.  Unless I'm actually IN the wedding, I'm just not giving up my entire day for it.

We're doing a two-hour photo tour with the wedding party... before the ceremony.  I'm not going to leave our guests twiddling their thumbs while we run off and gratify our own vanity.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Gaps are rude.  Its really as simple as that.  Even with the so-called, unavoidable "Catholic gap" they are rude because they put the wants of the bride and groom before the needs of the guests.  Very rarely are they unavoidable but mainly occur because the church requires an afternoon ceremony while the couple wants an evening reception.  The gap could be avoided by having an afternoon reception.  In this case the gap isn't unavoidable; the couple simply doesn't want to avoid it.

You can take pictures before the ceremony if you are worried about time.  Additionally, the bride and groom are not meant to be present at the cocktail hour as it is supposed to be used to entertain guests during picture taking.
  • Options
    Jennyloves, you're CREATING the gap?  Shame on you.

Many people understand that coming up with the perfect timing is tough.  However if you outright ignore your guests and host nothing for them, it's very rude.  What's also rude is to decide that you won't even consider starting your reception earlier because you "needed" (eyeroll) to have a formal evening reception.

Please don't be rude to your guests.
  • Options
    We are also having a 2pm ceremony but having the reception right after. We have to figure out time frames but the reception will start either 3:30pm or 4pm.  We have our hall for whatever 5 hours we pick, but we were adamant about an early reception so as not to inconvenience our guests.  We are doing as many pictures as we can beforehand with our bridal parties and families (we are not seeing each other before) then we will do full bridal party and family pictures after the ceremony. 
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    I think everyone pretty much covered it.

I went to two weddings this summer and both had gaps.  They were short (maybe an hour and a half), but no one told us about the gap (we found out from a sign on the reception door) and no one offered a good place to go.  It was confusing, annoying, and quite hot to sit outside in formal clothes.

If the gap is 3 hours, then you're really pushing my patience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards