Chit Chat
Options

Overwhelmed by the planning

Anyone else out there overwhelmed by all the planning?  I like many of you am working a full time job plus am having to plan my wedding on my own.  I am pretty stressed out because I am also trying to fit in a 30 minute run in each day (minimum).   Any tips to not run myself into the ground?  My occupation already is stressful enough- I am a transactional attorney.    

Re: Overwhelmed by the planning

• Options
    If you can't handle the planning, then either hire some help, get your FI involved, or scale back the production. Seriously. There is no reason to go grey or have herat palpitations over planning a party.

Also, take everything someone tells you that you have to have or have to do with a grain of salt. Think about if they are trying to sell you something that you don't need. Programs, favors, OOT bags, bathroom baskets, etc are not needed if you don't have time. The essential elements, IMO, and the bride and groom, an officiant, a marriage license, and photographer (non-pro is fine). If you want to invite guests, then add in invitations, guest seating, and food and drink for the reception.

Try to keep it simple in your head, and only keep in mind the important parts: you are marrying your FI, and you want to be a good hostess to any guests you may invite.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Sit down and make a list of things that you WANT in your wedding.  Then make a list of things that you actually NEED in your wedding.

Now go back to your WANT list and you'll see an awful lot of things that are just not particularly important.

Put down the wedding magazines, log off the wedding websites, turn off the wedding tv shows, and return the wedding planning books to Barnes & Noble.  Those exist solely to convince you that you simply MUST have "thus and so" to make your wedding memorable, creative, unique, one-of-a kind, and special.  Because if you believe that, you'll buy the product their advertisers are selling.

And you know what?  Your wedding will be memorable, creative, unique, one-of-a kind and special because it's YOURS.

It won't be less special if you don't have OOT bags, or hand made favors, or hand painted monogrammed aisle runners, or petal cones on each pew, or....or.....or

If you're feeling overwhelmed by planning a party, then you're overthinking and trying to overdo it. 

Get back to basics.  Decide what you really NEED that day.  Jettison the rest.  Focus on the real meaning of the day:  you're pledging your life to the person you love.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I am avoiding stressing by not caring about things that don't matter.  It's working out great.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    The best advice I can give is to stay organized - but not sweat too much about the small things.  Think of all the weddings you've been to in your life and what you remember about them.  Most people aren't going to notice or remember little things here and there. 

I know what you mean though.  Of course, I work full time as well and I'm trying to get to the gym for an hour and a half to two hours, four-five days a week - while trying to plan a wedding in my hometown which is three hours away.  It's stressful, of course - but you have to remember that while you want your wedding day to be special, it's just ONE DAY.  What's important is what comes afterwards.  Keep the big picture in mind, and don't sweat the small stuff.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Overwhelmed by the planning:
    [QUOTE]If you can't handle the planning, then either hire some help, get your FI involved, or scale back the production. Seriously. There is no reason to go grey or have herat palpitations over planning a party. Also, take everything someone tells you that you have to have or have to do with a grain of salt. Think about if they are trying to sell you something that you don't need. Programs, favors, OOT bags, bathroom baskets, etc are not needed if you don't have time. The essential elements, IMO, and the bride and groom, an officiant, a marriage license, and photographer (non-pro is fine). If you want to invite guests, then add in invitations, guest seating, and food and drink for the reception. Try to keep it simple in your head, and only keep in mind the important parts: you are marrying your FI, and you want to be a good hostess to any guests you may invite.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

This, this, this! 
  • Options
    Prioritize!  Make a list, set deadlines, and what you can't do yourself, have your FI do.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm just taking it a little at a time and really looking at what "I need to do now".  I am getting married in May 2011.  So right now I have my venue booked (ceremony and reception) and I'm booking my photog.  In my mind those were the most pressing issues.  I have lots of ideas that I write down in my wedding planning binder and as the time comes to make the decision depending on the budget and my stress I will decide.  Also, I have been fortunate to have many people offer to help and I don't turn anyone away.
  • Options
    If you have a massage envy near by USE IT. lol. I have been very overwhelmed the past two months in the final count down. I have a membership at massage envy its like 45 dollars a month for 1 free massage. if you cant go one month you get credit for the massage you didnt use and can have a 1 hour massage. its lovely. lol. It has really helped keep my stress levels low though. I suffer from anxiety attacks and it helps keep those to a minimum because of how overwhelmed I am.

To have help with the planning ask for it. get your MOH involved, your fiance, your bridesmaids everyone. Give them a to do list with deadlines and what not. my mom has taken over alot to relieve some stress so has my matron of honor. It helps!
    "To my Husband: I pray that you never have to steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal I pray you steal away my sorrows, if you must lie I pray you lie with me all the days of my life, and if you must cheat I pray you cheat death so I never have to live a day without you" -Irish Wedding Toast Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards