Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Who Sits Where? (Divorced and Remarried Parents at the Ceremony)

Where is everyone supposed to sit during the ceremony?

My parents are divorced and both remarried. My dad is walking me down the isle.

Are you assigning seats for immediate family at the ceremony? Or are you just letting the family figure it out? Not sure how to go about this, or if I need to - help!

Re: Who Sits Where? (Divorced and Remarried Parents at the Ceremony)

• Options
    We had parents and grandparents in the first row, then everyone else just filled in behind.  You could do siblings in the second row (or parents in the first, then grandparents and sibblings filling in starting in the second row, since it sounds like you have a lot of parents).  I wouldn't "assign" seats, but you can reserve the first few rows for immediate family if you want.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_who-sits-where-divorced-and-remarried-parents-at-the-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:ff9e7ba9-946a-4a20-865c-143bbae4f441Post:93b33eb3-642b-41e3-a029-ed62834046e3">Who Sits Where? (Divorced and Remarried Parents at the Ceremony)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where is everyone supposed to sit during the ceremony? My parents are divorced and both remarried. My dad is walking me down the isle. Are you assigning seats for immediate family at the ceremony? Or are you just letting the family figure it out? Not sure how to go about this, or if I need to - help!
    Posted by daxvi[/QUOTE]

It depends on the design of your ceremony space.  Our parents stood on the altar (per Jewish tradition).  The first row held the parents of the flower girls (our siblings and their spouses) and our grandparents.  

At other weddings that I attended, the parents sat in the first row.  One friend chose to separate her divorced parents.  Mom and Stepfather sat with her siblings on the right side of the church while Dad and Stepmother sat with her new inlaws on the left side of the church.   Her Mom and Stepmother do not play nicely together.  

This tends to be a contentious area for the parents.  Good luck navigating the minefield.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Put the parents in the front row with their respective partners. If the wedding party will be sitting in the first row, the parents should be seated in the second row. If MOB wants to keep the aisle seat, since your FOB is walking you down the aisle, she and her husband simply step out into the aisle to allow him to sit next to his wife. If FOB prefers to keep an aisle seat, put him and is wife in the row behind your mother. Grandparent can sit with either set of parents.

• Options
    If you're having it at a church, or any place that does a lot of weddings, ask them what they've done in the past. It's apparently tradition (at least at the church I'm getting married in, but they made it sound like this is everywhere) that just your parents, specifically your mother, sit on the front row. If she's remarried, her husband would sit with her and your father would sit on the second row. 

I'm changing this if they let me because I want my dad, mom, her husband, and my grandmother on the first row, and I think if everyone can fit that would be fine. 
  • Options
    The first row for us I'm going to ribbon off "reserved" for our parents and grandparents. M's siblings are involved in our wedding party and I'm not particularly close with mine so they will sit with their family. I have two very close to my heart cousins that are in wheelchairs that I will be reserving spots for up in the front. Everyone else can sit where they like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards