Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Catholic ceremony readers

We are having our ceremony in a Catholic church.  My family is Catholic, FI is non-denominational Christian.
We need two people to read during the ceremony.  We have already asked FI's aunt.
I ideally wanted one reader from his family and one from mine.  But I don't have a lot of family in the area.  The ones who would be comfortable doing it are already in the wedding party.  The rest wouldn't be comfortable doing it/aren't religious at all.

So, we wanted to ask FI's grandmother to do it.  She's super religious and she raised my FI so it would be nice to include her in the ceremony.

My question is, is it 'ok' to have a grandmother do a reading?  I've never seen a parent or grandparent have a role in the ceremony.   I know it's my wedding/my decision but does anyone think it's strange?   
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Catholic ceremony readers

• Options
    We're having ffil do a reading. We had trouble finding someone who'd be comfortable speaking in public and he's comfortable with public speaking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    We had both my father and my husband's mom do a reading at our ceremony. Have whoever you'd like and who would be comfortable reading!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It's fine to have a grandmother do a reading!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_catholic-ceremony-readers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:ffd45526-b7ad-4548-b4eb-8441bc340a78Post:1825645a-8ebc-4f9f-aaa7-8615025c6cc3">Catholic ceremony readers</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having our ceremony in a Catholic church.  My family is Catholic, FI is non-denominational Christian. We need two people to read during the ceremony.  We have already asked FI's aunt. I ideally wanted one reader from his family and one from mine.  But I don't have a lot of family in the area.  The ones who would be comfortable doing it are already in the wedding party.  The rest wouldn't be comfortable doing it/aren't religious at all. So, we wanted to ask FI's grandmother to do it.  She's super religious and she raised my FI so it would be nice to include her in the ceremony. My question is, is it 'ok' to have a grandmother do a reading?  I've never seen a parent or grandparent have a role in the ceremony.   I know it's my wedding/my decision but does anyone think it's strange?   
    Posted by aro1589[/QUOTE]

<div>My aunt did my reading as well as our best man and mys sister, who was my MOH, did our prayer... so I don't think having a grandmother do a reading is trange. However, make sure your check with your Priest - most Catholic churches require that the readers are baptized, practicing Catholics.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards