Chit Chat
Options

just got engaged,should i set a date right now

my name brandie and i just got engaged on febuary 9th 2012. should i set date now or should i wait. my fience thinks we should wait just we just got engaged. my age is 26 and my fience is 25.

Re: just got engaged,should i set a date right now

• Options
    Congratulations!!! :) Like PP's said you can't really set a date until you book a venue. As a suggestion though - the first thing you should do is set your budget! Nothing else can really happen until you know how much money you will have to spend. Your budget can even dictate your wedding date if you need to save up like KindaSparkly said.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We picked a date the night we got engaged :)

But we very quickly decided on who was paying, how long of an engagement we wanted, what style we wanted, what specific vendors we wanted, etc.

Once you make those decisions, book your venues and your date is set!
  • Options
    Everyone is different.

Personally, I do not get waiting.. So we picked the date within a week or so.    Others don't get rushing and wait weeks, months or even years.   As long as you are on the same page it doesn't matter.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    The first thing you should do is figure out what kind of wedding you want.

Do you want the big lavish celebration, or more of an intimate family-only event.
    This will help you figure out your budget and than you'll know how long you have to wait.

I don't see much point in waiting to set a date. People get engaged because they are ready to get married. I understand setting a date a year or so out, because you need time to prepare, but at least you have a goal in mind.

When you both get some time, sit down and figure out what kind of wedding you want/how you're going to budget etc. That will help you figure out a date.

Good luck, and congrats!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I had wedding dates in mind spanning a couple of years before we got engaged. Our first date was 5.14.10, 10.10,10, then 12.4.10, and 1.16.11, also 2.20.11, then 11.11.11 (our actual wedding date), and 12.1.11, and finally 1.20.13.

All the dates had special meaning to us. So if you have a date you want, start looking into it. When we got engaged in April of 2010, we knew we needed more than a few months to plan and get things sorted out. Also, his brother was getting married that year and took our 10.10,10 date. Yes that had something to do with planning our 11.11.11 wedding :)

Congratulations and have fun!

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Options
    thanks you guys you all a big help i will have fun and keep everyone posted too oh also since my answer was just made i guess i start looking for where i want to have my wedding at and have my reception too. Smile
  • Options
    Start with your budget before you do anything - and don't count on parents kicking in for your wedding unless you are depositing a check from them in your bank account.  You do not want to fall in love with a place just to realize that you cannot afford it.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Congratulations! Looks like PPs hit the nail on the head, so doesn't really leave me much room to give advice seeing as how they took the words out of my mouth. Just wanted to say Congrats!
  • Options
    Like many ladies have said, it depends.

Some people get engaged and then don't get married for 4 years. I don't personally understand that but to each their own. 

Get a good idea of your budget and figure out what is important to you. You'll need to have a preliminary guest list so you know how many guests you'll need to accomodate and what you can afford per guest.

FI and I had a broad idea of when we wanted to get married. It started with 2012. Then it went to spring or fall of 2012. Then it went to late spring since I'm a teacher and we are planning a wedding out of state. We found a venue that we LOVED and then set a date based on their availability.

Good luck and congratulations!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_just-got-engagedshould-i-set-a-date-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:419d81f0-1ca2-4ef3-bab0-350174986c50Post:b1198182-afb0-4cd5-8146-3d79ba0152d0">Re: just got engaged,should i set a date right now</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like many ladies have said, it depends. Some people get engaged and then don't get married for 4 years. I don't personally understand that but to each their own.  Get a good idea of your budget and figure out what is important to you. You'll need to have a preliminary guest list so you know how many guests you'll need to accomodate and what you can afford per guest<strong>. FI and I had a broad idea of when we wanted to get married. It started with 2012.</strong> Then it went to spring or fall of 2012. Then it went to late spring since I'm a teacher and we are planning a wedding out of state. We found a venue that we LOVED and then set a date based on their availability. Good luck and congratulations!
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

This.  We knew we wanted to get married sooner rather than later, and knew our budget when we got engaged, so once we found a venue, we were able to narrow it down and pick a date based on their availability and what sounded good to us.  You don't have to set a "date" per se, but maybe just talk in broad strokes about when you want to get married (spring, winter, 2012, 2013, etc) and then figure out how much you want to spend, if your parents are contributing or you are going to pay for the wedding yourselves, etc. 

And, there's nothing wrong with enjoying being engaged for a bit too.  Congratulations!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I would start with a budget & an idea of a venue. FI & I got engaged in 2010 & knew we wanted to get married in 2012. We knew we wanted a spring wedding & just kind of picked a date from there. We didn't choose a date right away, but we didn't sit on it for too long either. There is no right or wrong way to choose a date, do whatever works best for you & FI!

Congrats, BTW :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards