Chit Chat
Options

Trash the Dress Ideas

We're deciding between a casual small ceremony or eloping in Central Park with 50 of our closest friends and family.  Then we'll go out to dinner for a reception.  The morning after instead of a brunch we want to do a group trash the dress event.  We were thinking of renting out a paintball place in the morning - feedback?

Not sure if I'll wear a wedding gown, I may just get a nice white dress, but I'm not planning on spending a ton of money on it.  Any other suggestions?

Re: Trash the Dress Ideas

• Options
    I wouldn't do paintball per say. They actually hurt when you get hit. I really love the idea of paint though. Just get a bunch of tarps and pin them to the grass/ground and have a paint war. That would be SO fun. =)
  • Options
    That's a good point - I've actually never been, but thought it would be a really cool dress to frame afterwards.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    Besides hurting you actually have to wear a lot of equipment paintballing so you woun't really see the dresses. And also there aren't any paint ball places near Central Park.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:d3a6e7cf-4109-419b-9f0a-453f08900144">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dislike trash the dress events.  If you do get a lovely dress, at least donate it to charity so someone else can use it.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel the same way.  The "trash the dress" concept seems pretty wasteful to me. I'm not sure that as a guest I'd want to go to an event the next day specifically for the bride to "trash" her dress.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I don't think it' actually eloping if you invite 50 people:-)  Though a Central Park ceremony sounds really cool.</div>
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    It's the bride's dress, she can do whatever the hell she wants with it. No one should be made to feel guilty for doing what they want to do with a dress they paid for just because someone else thinks they should be obligated to donate it to charity.

OP, I agree with the others about the paintball thing. I would stick to just using paint, if that's the route you really want to go. I saw one TTD where the bride's kids made paint handprints on her dress, and she framed it. That ended up looking really neat, and made for a nice keepsake.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:38ce1cd6-a5c2-486a-a7d2-131e148f0142">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It's the bride's dress, she can do whatever the hell she wants with it. No one should be made to feel guilty for doing what they want to do with a dress they paid for just because someone else thinks they should be obligated to donate it to charity.</strong> OP, I agree with the others about the paintball thing. I would stick to just using paint, if that's the route you really want to go. I saw one TTD where the bride's kids made paint handprints on her dress, and she framed it. That ended up looking really neat, and made for a nice keepsake.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm going to second that.</div>
  • Options
    As a guest, I don't think it would be all that fun to watch the bride do a TTD session.  If that's something you and FI want to do, do it on your own time and don't make it part of the wedding festivities.
  • Options
    I think a wedding dress is like any other article of clothing: the bride owns it, she can do whatever she wants with it, and it's nobody else's place to judge her. If she wanted to destroy a t-shirt and jeans that she owned by rolling around in paint in them, would you be judging her?  Hate to break it to you, but her own wedding dress isn't any different: her property, her decision.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:762b8283-7453-4dcb-8694-9d7c92ea8dbd">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a wedding dress is like any other article of clothing: the bride owns it, she can do whatever she wants with it, and it's nobody else's place to judge her. If she wanted to destroy a t-shirt and jeans that she owned by rolling around in paint in them, would you be judging her?  Hate to break it to you, but her own wedding dress isn't any different: her property, her decision.
    Posted by RamonaFlowers[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. </div><div>I won't be doing one just because I can't bear to ruin my dress. To each their own.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I think you should skip paintball and just do regular paint. Also, before you set up shop and start tossing paint, you may want to make sure that NYC is okay with it and you won't get arrested!</div>
  • Options
    I had friends that did paintball and even though they wore tons of equipment, they were COVERED in bruises.
    Pictures at the beach in the waves and edge of the water can make for some cool shots. I couldn't bear to trash my dress though.
    Good luck with your decision!

I bet it would be a fabulous tax write off if you changed your mind! :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:d3a6e7cf-4109-419b-9f0a-453f08900144">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dislike trash the dress events.  If you do get a lovely dress, at least donate it to charity so someone else can use it.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2012
    "I dislike trash the dress events.  If you do get a lovely dress, at least donate it to charity so someone else can use it."
    Posted by CMGr

I agree with this sentiment as well.  I also cannot wrap my head around such an utter and complete waste of time and money.  The boards are filled with stories of brides searching high and low for THE dress.  Then more time and money is spent on the hunt for the perfect shoes, the perfect accessories,and the perfect veil.  And after all that, everything is considerable disposable??

I'd hate to think that this is a generational issue, but I frankly have a higher regard and respect for the money I earn, the work I do to earn that money, and the awareness that not everyone is as fortunate.  Although that may sound judgmental, I do adhere to a "to each his own" philosophy.  It is merely one concept I will never understand.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:7ae97c21-9ecb-4992-804b-87e7d532930a">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE] I frankly have a higher regard and respect for the money I earn, the work I do to earn that money, and the awareness that not everyone is as fortunate. 
    Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]
    So wearing a dress once and then having it sit in a closet/attic/basement forever it a better idea/more fiscally responsible (face it most women don't donate their dresses afterwards) then wearing it a second time and having some fun in it?  OK, yeah.
  • Options
    I really don't understand the disdain some people have for others who do trash the dress photos. As pp's have said, most dresses sit in a closet - and that's not looked upon harshly. So what's the difference between memorializing the dress in some romantic/fun 'just got married' pics, and holding onto  it and not doing anything with it for sentimental reasons.  Certainly, donating it is a nice option for some...but the judgement about what someone does with a dress is really silly to me. Plus, most people don't actually 'trash the dress' to the point beyond repair where they can't keep it anymore. Of course, if they DO, it's their choice....cause it's their dress!

Anyway, back to the point - I would probably hold off on doing paintball for the reasons other people have stated. You might want to do just regular paint....and of course, you don't actually have to 'trash the dress'....sometimes just some playful shots in the water, dirt, etc are fun and interesting. In most cases, you can clean the dress to at least close to the original condition in that case.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:7ae97c21-9ecb-4992-804b-87e7d532930a">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]"I dislike trash the dress events.  If you do get a lovely dress, at least donate it to charity so someone else can use it." Posted by CMGr I agree with this sentiment as well.  I also cannot wrap my head around such an utter and complete waste of time and money.  The boards are filled with stories of brides searching high and low for THE dress.  Then more time and money is spent on the hunt for the perfect shoes, the perfect accessories,and the perfect veil.  And after all that, everything is considerable disposable?? I'd hate to think that this is a generational issue, but I frankly have a higher regard and respect for the money I earn, the work I do to earn that money, and the awareness that not everyone is as
    fortunate.  Although that may sound judgmental, I do adhere to a "to each
    his own" philosophy.  It is merely one concept I will never understand.

Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]

You don't need to wrap your head around it, because, it's not your dress. If the bride decides to pack it and preserve it and never do anything with it, what is the difference? It's actually getting more use to do a TTD than to preserve it and let it sit there. It's her dress, her property, and she can use it in any way she sees fit, whether it's playing paint ball, donating it, or wearing it to mop the floor every second Saturday of the month. If donating your dress gives you a warm fuzzy, good for you. That doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to follow suit.
  • Options
    Andplusalso, having regard for the money you earn and the work you do have nothing to do with anything. I work hard and paid for my own dress, just like many other brides, and I get to choose what I do with the property I paid for. YOU might see it as a waste, but that doesn't make it true for everyone else.
  • Options
    Thanks, QJ ;-)
  • Options
    I get that people don't "need to wrap their head around" what other people do with their property, but I have to agree with PPs that it seems pretty wasteful. Even if you think a wedding dress is just like another article of clothing, it still doesn't make sense to me. If someone bought a pair of jeans and a tee shirt for the sole purpose of wearing them once, then purposely wrecking them later, I wouldn't like that, either.

I don't agree with telling others how to treat their property, obviously, because no one can do that. But if I saw someone purposely destroying ANYTHING they owned, I would "side-eye" that, whether it be a car, clothing, a computer, etc. To each her own, I guess, but I would be really uncomfortable participating or watching a bride destroy her dress.

Where did this TTD idea come from, anyway? Just curious, I had never even heard about it until I came onto TK.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_trash-dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4aa959bf-9e77-4504-9cfb-f0be8f3ae643Post:34b39a07-5566-4616-901b-98fdb04e9f1d">Re: Trash the Dress Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Andplusalso, having regard for the money you earn and the work you do have nothing to do with anything. I work hard and paid for my own dress, just like many other brides, and I get to choose what I do with the property I paid for. YOU might see it as a waste, but that doesn't make it true for everyone else.
    Posted by Queen Jane[/QUOTE]

<div><div>I completely agree with this. The OP asked about PAINTBALL as a trash the dress event, not anyone's opinions on if she should trash the dress. Her property, her decision. </div><div>
    </div><div>I for one WILL be trashing my dress. Not via paintball though because of the same reasons PPs mentioned! ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>Have fun whatever you decide!</div></div>
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jparli - how are you planning on trashing your dress?  I don't think we're going to do paintball anymore and it may just be the two of us doing it together (rather than involving everyone).
  • Options
    rockandroll, we did ours on the beach (the pic in my sig is our TTD). We went to this awesome driftwood beach and got some great shots on the rocks, sand dunes, trees, and in the water. My dress got dirty, but not trashed (a dry cleaning had it good as new again save for a small tear on the bottom).
  • Options
    Rockandroll,
    I haven't decided yet! My wedding is in September so we have a little while to decide. I LOVE the beach, so I'm thinking something like what Sesha did. I think you could get some great pictures that way. Also, we live in New Orleans so we could do a shoot in the dress around the city. The city is certainly dirty enough to trash the dress haha ;) I REALLY like the idea of putting down tarp and having a paint fight. 

Do you have anything that means a lot to you and your FI? Try and incorporate an activity that you like into the shoot. Hiking, camping, the beach, etc...

Goodluck and if you end up doing it, post pictures!!!! Don't let anyone's personal opinions sway your decision! 
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards