Chit Chat

Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)

Hello ladies, I'm writing because I am actually pretty upset about something that happened earlier today.

One of my friends (she's also a BM in my wedding) just started seeing a new guy about 2 weeks ago. I met him and liked him. He seemed kind, genuine, and treated my friend well. She and this new guy have been out almost every night this week, and they've stayed up till all hours of the night talking, hanging out, texting, etc. He's really fallen for her very quickly. It honestly reminded me a lot of how FI and I started seeing each other, so I thought the whole thing was very sweet, even though it is going a bit fast.

Today, my friend and I had lunch together and she revealed to me that a  couple days ago, he told her that he is married. I was absolutely horrified. 

She asked me, "What do I do?" I said, "He's not available, he should have told you from the get-go, but now that you know, you have to stop seeing him!" She told me she didn't know if she could stop seeing him because she likes the attention, she feels a connection with him, he told her this marriage is a bad one, he's only staying for his 12 year old son, etc. 

I don't know if I'm just going off the deep-end here because I absolutely do NOT tolerate infidelity of any kind, no matter the reason, but if she continues to see this man, I just don't feel morally right having her as a BM, witnessing my wedding. I feel almost like... I don't know, it's a mockery of marriage. The other part of me says I am being way too judgmental. I don't know what to do. I would say this is none of my business, but she has brought me into it... what do I do? I want to be a good friend, but I also just can't look the other way. After all, most of us here are about to get married! Imagine being this man's wife and finding out he's cheated on you with my friend, and with numerous other women, though he told her that was over 10 years ago.... I just can't stomach it.

Please, any advice? Am I being too judgmental? Thank you so much for your input!

Anniversary

Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)

• I have been in your friend's spot, and I stupidly stayed there for 6 years. I lost a lot of friends. The ones that did stick around did not approve of the relationship, but realized that I needed their support to see how much more I deserved than what I was getting.

If your friend is this starved for attention, then she is having some self esteem issues, and you judging her and dropping her as a friend will not help her. You can certainly express your disdain for the situation and refuse to be around them or discuss the relationship, but I suggest you still be there for your friend, and try to help her see her own self worth. It micht be a long road, but I can tell you that I truly appreciate those that stuck with me even when I was being stupid and naive. They are my very best friends now. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • FWIW, one of my best friends is in a rocky marriage and is cheating on her H with a separated man. This is her 2nd affair of the marriage. She knows how I feel about it, and I refuse to discuss it, but I am there for her to support her as her marriage ends, because it really needs to, for many other reasons. I don't condone her infidelity, but I am there to support her when she decides to get back on the right track, and to help her realize that she is worthy of that in the meantime. 
  • Sarah, I completely agree with your second post. I want to be there for my friend, and I told her that she deserves so much more. After all, she is only 28, and this man is in his mid-40s. It's not really about the age difference, it's about the fact that she has so much life to live still... why torture herself this way when she could have any man she wants? She is beautiful, smart, intelligent, hard-working, everything a man would want. I just can't bear watching her do this, though...
    Anniversary
  • Milk Duds, in all honesty, I really don't want to hurt my friend and ask her to step down. I think I would only do that if she absolutely insists on seeing him. For certain, I would not allow him to be her guest at my wedding. That would just be too much for me to overlook, as she told me to keep this a secret. I hate drama and I hate hurting people, so I pray she sees that this situation is not for her very soon.
    Anniversary
  • I think you need to tell her all of that, and keep telling her that. You know she is a better person than that, but you have to convince her of that, and it might take a while. She needs examples of loving relationships where people aren't being used (and she is being used whether she knows it or not) in order to see that what she is going through is not healthy or productive. Love is NOT that hard. I promise. But unless she sees other successful relationships, she won't realize this. 

I totally get how opposed you are to infedelity, because I am too. I so get that. But I think that sometimes you have to say that you love your friend even if you don't like all of her actions. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:ba77fa29-f09e-403a-8f55-9f0e52fe38cd">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been in your friend's spot, and I stupidly stayed there for 6 years. I lost a lot of friends. The ones that did stick around did not approve of the relationship, but realized that I needed their support to see how much more I deserved than what I was getting. <strong>If your friend is this starved for attention, then she is having some self esteem issues, and you judging her and dropping her as a friend will not help her. </strong>You can certainly express your disdain for the situation and refuse to be around them or discuss the relationship, but I suggest you still be there for your friend, and try to help her see her own self worth. It micht be a long road, but I can tell you that I truly appreciate those that stuck with me even when I was being stupid and naive. They are my very best friends now. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

I agree with this whole-heartedly.  But I also see where you're coming from, OP  because this is going against your moral code and making you feel guilty by association.  I have been in a situation before where I ended a friendship with a girl because she was a cheater who did not seem to have any remorse for what she was doing.  I made the decision that I did not need someone in my life who could so easily turn their back on people they supposedly cared about.

On the flip-side, I have dated a man who was still legally married.  They were separated and living in different houses but to this day I still do not feel right about what I did.  It did not last long - a few months at most - but I could never fully invest in someone who was married.  I was very insecure at the time and LOVED the attention this man gave me so I get where your friend is coming from.  I think you should express your concern and ask her to think about how she'd feel if your H did that to you?  How would she feel if her future H did that to her?  Sounds like she could really use some perspective.

I apologize if my train of thought is scattered here.  I just took migraine Rx and I'm a bit cloudy. 

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • Thanks, ladies. I'm very appreciative of everyone's advice and totally agree. I will be supportive of my friend seeing herself as the wonderful person she is, while trying to give her some perspective on why this is very harmful to her (and everyone else involved and/or effected).
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:f211b96a-c135-4ea9-949c-9baaf32f33aa">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, ladies. I'm very appreciative of everyone's advice and totally agree. I will be supportive of my friend seeing herself as the wonderful person she is, while trying to give her some perspective on why this is very harmful to her (and everyone else involved and/or effected).
    Posted by ItalianViolinist[/QUOTE]

Good luck darling.  You sound like an amazing friend and she is lucky to have someone who cares as much as you do in her life!

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • I think if she stays with him even though she knows he is married, she is missing something in her life. I've never been in this exact situation but I have dated guys who weren't right for me and I'd try to make excuses because I had a lack of self confidence.

I think she probably knows she is doing something wrong but still needs you as a friend. You have every right to tell her how you feel and tell her you want nothing to do with that part of her life but she was a good enough friend for you to ask her to be in your wedding. She probably needs your support to help her realize that she can do better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all so much!
    Anniversary
  • P.S. are they still living together? If my husband was out every night, ummmmm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As the former wife of a cheater I can give insight to men like that.  He can tell her whatever he wants to about his marriage and that doesn't make it true.  If he's willing to break his marriage vows and cheat on his wife, then its no big deal to lie to another woman. 

Most cheaters only think about themselves and what they need.  They do not care about their partner or their new "hookup"  As much as you despise what she is doing, realize she is being used by a manipulator and has probably been lost in his charm.   You can also let her know when a man leaves his wife for his mistress (I'm sure at some point he will tell her when the child is older he will leave and be with her) he creates a job opening. 
  • Support your friend.  She will need it weeks (months or years) from now when she realizes she has made a mistake.  Right now, she is reeling from an incomprehensible series of events -- meeting someone "great," whirlwind romance, then learning the guy is married -- she needs a good friend right now.
  • EdieLaura: I invited her room mate as her guest since I know both of them.

Mm4662: I think he does still live with his wife. I don't understand how he thinks she wouldn't notice that he's out so late and often! My friend is taking a trip to Florida this weekend to see an old friend of hers, and she told me he wants to come with her. She's going to be gone for 3 or 4 days. I don't get it!!!!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:bd505026-8d1a-4f5c-9553-9f302c75fdec">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]EdieLaura: I invited her room mate as her guest since I know both of them. Mm4662: I think he does still live with his wife. I don't understand how he thinks she wouldn't notice that he's out so late and often! My friend is taking a trip to Florida this weekend to see an old friend of hers, and she told me he wants to come with her. She's going to be gone for 3 or 4 days. I don't get it!!!!

<div>Two words: "Business Trips".  One of my long time guy friends uses this as his code word whenever he heads out of town for the company of another woman.  Yes he is married, yes he knows how I feel about this...but I can't change his thinking.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:1b4bfc92-4267-40b1-89ba-93c7c94e50d5">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long) : Two words: "Business Trips".  One of my long time guy friends uses this as his code word whenever he heads out of town for the company of another woman.  Yes he is married, yes he knows how I feel about this...but I can't change his thinking.
    Posted by thesequel[/QUOTE]

<div>The thing is, he's a tailor, owns his own shop... why in the world would he need to take business trips?! So his wife totally wouldn't buy that. :( I feel so terrible about this whole situation.</div>
    Anniversary
  • edited April 2011
    I don't think you're being judgmental at all.  He's obviously not a great guy to be cheating on his wife, whether the marriage is bad or not.  While it would be hard for your friend since she clearly has strong feelings towards him now, she would be equally wrong for staying with him--and why would she want to?? He completely manipulated her by waiting for her to fall for him before he told her the truth.  If I were your friend I'd truly hate him for putting me in that position and would refuse to see him again, although I'm sure it'd be hard to do.  
    How long do you have until your wedding?  I would continue to show your friend how much you disapprove.  If she stays with him and especially if she doesn't seem to mind that he's married I think I would ask her to step down.  If you do that though, you have to expect to lose the friendship.

Edit: After reading some other posts I agree she may actually really need your friendship.  If you really care about her then I'd remain close enough so she knows she can call you/talk to you if she needs to but I personally probably wouldn't be proposing plans for double dinner dates or anything including the guy.
    Anniversary
  • I agree that she needs your friendship right now. I wouldn't kick her out of your WP because that will most likely drive her closer to him. But I totally understand where you are coming from, and I think you have a right to ask her not to bring him to your wedding (although that is usually against etiquette), since he is dishonoring the vows that you are making that day. I would also find it very hard to be friends with someone like that, but if you can help her see the light, then it will be worth it. I hope your friend sees that she deserves someone fully committed to her.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:e2757735-b4f2-44b1-b5d3-a7f726b64d4e">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long) : The thing is, he's a tailor, owns his own shop... why in the world would he need to take business trips?! So his wife totally wouldn't buy that. :( I feel so terrible about this whole situation.

<div>New fabrics, new designs...unfortunately like PPs have said - if he's lying to his wife, he is probably really good at lying to others.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:87dddba7-0537-4f89-80ce-55c9386d4916">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long) : I agree with this whole-heartedly.  But I also see where you're coming from, OP  because this is going against your moral code and making you feel guilty by association.  I have been in a situation before where I ended a friendship with a girl because she was a cheater who did not seem to have any remorse for what she was doing.  I made the decision that I did not need someone in my life who could so easily turn their back on people they supposedly cared about. On the flip-side, I have dated a man who was still legally married.  They were separated and living in different houses but to this day I still do not feel right about what I did.  It did not last long - a few months at most - but I could never fully invest in someone who was married.  I was very insecure at the time and LOVED the attention this man gave me so I get where your friend is coming from.  I think you should express your concern and ask her to think about how she'd feel if your H did that to you?  How would she feel if her future H did that to her?  Sounds like she could really use some perspective. I apologize if my train of thought is scattered here.  <strong>I just took migraine Rx and I'm a bit cloudy.</strong> 
    Posted by sherrbearr22[/QUOTE]
    i need one of those.. major headache
  • i agree with the pp. she needs you right now. good luck

• i usually am not into promoting using TV or movies for real life situations, but I've found inspiration from Charlotte in Sex and the City before:

Charlotte: He's married, Carrie.
    Carrie: I know he's married.
    Charlotte: That makes you the other woman, you're the other woman.
    Carrie: I'm not the other woman, I'm not. I mean I know I am, but, I'm not that woman.
    Charlotte: You ever think about how she'd feel if she found out?
    Carrie: Yes, I think about it all the time.
    Charlotte: "No you don't "! You think about what will happen to you if she found out. You don't think about her, she's just the idiot wife. You don't know anything about her.  I'm getting married in three weeks how would you feel if somebody did this to me?
    Carrie: I would kill them.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_am-being-judgmental-kind-of-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4ab2133d-6315-4769-9b44-ae33c1d2ba91Post:af854bbd-d208-4f28-a62f-8aa4defadd98">Re: Am I being judgmental? (kind of long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]As the former wife of a cheater I can give insight to men like that.  He can tell her whatever he wants to about his marriage and that doesn't make it true.  If he's willing to break his marriage vows and cheat on his wife, then its no big deal to lie to another woman.  Most cheaters only think about themselves and what they need.  They do not care about their partner or their new "hookup"  As much as you despise what she is doing, realize she is being used by a manipulator and has probably been lost in his charm.   You can also let her know when a man leaves his wife for his mistress (I'm sure at some point he will tell her when the child is older he will leave and be with her) he creates a job opening. 
    Posted by jenajjthr[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to say... this this this this. I have had my fair share of experiences with guys that cheat and Jena has nailed it.
    My Bio: Updated 5/18/11

June 2011
    My Morgan!

Photobucket

Miss Dayna

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards