Chit Chat
Options

Rushing the holidays?

I don't know about everyone else, but in South Jersey it feel like Christmas time already. The mall, grocery store, party stores, everywhere has all of their Christmas stuff out already. What happened to Thanksgiving? Did we disown it or something? Cry
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rushing the holidays?

• Options
    I work in retail, so I know your pain. My store gets Christmas cards in stock in August. AUGUST!!!

I used to love Christmas, but I can't stand it anymore! I love Thanksgiving, with the turkey and the stuffing and potatoes and pies. Now I only look forward to Christmas for about a week beforehand. 

I just feel like I've been desensitized to the joy because it's always around. At work, we have Christmas cards from August to March (when we finally manage to get rid of them all at clearance prices).
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yup, it is just disgusting and sad. I ran to Wal-Mart after work today, and there was a guy putting up a Christmas tree. I just rolled my eyes. They have had the center grocery aisle filled with baking goodies for a few weeks now.

I think it has been this way for the past 10 or 15 years or so, but has gotten worse in recent years due to the economy, etc. I can remember my parents telling me stories about when I was little the stores would close on Christmas and Thanksgiving Eve and if you didn't have what you needed, you were SOS. It is not like that anymore. The only day WM closes out of the entire year is Christmas, very sad. It all comes down to money.
  • Options
    That was one of the things that drove me up the wall at Disney.  At least they celebrate Halloween now, but I'm pretty sure the Christmas decorations will be up by Friday.

I think I'd enjoy Christmas more if I didn't have to put up with it for two entire months.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I think iTunes should automatically uncheck all of your Christmas music on December 26, and check it again on December 1st.  That way you don't get an unpleasant surprise of "Here Comes Santa Claus" in September when you're listening to your entire library on shuffle.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Oh see I love Christmas. Something about ornaments and colored lights gives me the warm fuzzies, so I don't mind that it's all out right now. It's extra exciting for me this year because we have our first home and I'm suuuuper excited to decorate for the holidays. Always wanted lights on the outside of the house. Plus, it's the first year H and I will be hosting Christmas at our house. So excited! I do love Thanksgiving as well, but I've come to sort of see it as an obstacle to Christmas, just with really good food (I look forward to it more on years that we spend with my family, this year, we're with H's family, so I'm not as excited for Thanksgiving). I will admit, Christmas stuff does not have the same affect on me on December 26 though. Something about being after Christmas makes me all "ok get rid of it," but before? Naw.

Ok I'll take all of my holiday cheer elsewhere now. :)
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong Laura, I'm a fanatic about Christmas. I'm always singing, running around everywhere with my santa hat, decorating... but it feels like a money scheme to me when christmas stuff is out the day after halloween.

I was always excited when I walked into the mall Black Friday and Christmas decorations were just being put up. I worked at Auntie Anne's Pretzels last holiday season, and I had a BALL!!!! Every day being at work with the music and deco made me more and more excited. This is not the same
  • Options
    I think Thanksgiving is becoming a forgotten holiday.  But I can understand why, besides grocery stores, there is no money to be made off of it in retail stores.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Macy's was playing seasonal music last night along with regular music. By seasonal I mean songs like Frosty the Snowman but also traditional Christmas music (can't recall the tunes).  Christmas decorations started going up at Macy's about 2-3 weeks BEFORE Halloween.  Way too early for me.
  • Options
    I love Thanksgiving. A great reason for my sister to come visit from out of state. (Her hubby is weird about staying here) Plus, I love to cook so it's my second favorite holiday.

p.s. Christmas is my first, but not this early in the year
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards