Chit Chat

London or Ireland?

If you could go to London or Ireland, which would you choose and why?

We're looking into making a week-long trip (probably next year sometime), but are currently looking into options. We've really wanted to go to Ireland, but it seems like it'll be a bit more expensive than London. DH has also already been to London and so he's a little more familiar with it. I've never been overseas.

Another thing that makes me thing London may be a better idea for our first big trip (even though I REALLY want to go to Ireland), is that if we go to Ireland, Im dead set on going horseback riding there and DH, while I'm giving him lessons now, is still a very green rider.

Anyways, what are your opinions?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: London or Ireland?

• Do you mean travel to Ireland will be more expensive? I definitely think all expenses (accomodation, food, travel etc) once there will be cheaper in Ireland than London. Where would your husband prefer to go to? It seems like youd much prefer Ireland. I dont think you should counter argue that your husband has been to London before. id say thats all the more reason to go to Ireland, see somewhere new!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_london-or-ireland?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:56d349de-8841-42d2-a1ee-8168350d5286Post:a9627fb5-9c76-42b2-95a0-cc2194215dca">Re: London or Ireland?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you mean travel to Ireland will be more expensive? I definitely think all expenses (accomodation, food, travel etc) once there will be cheaper in Ireland than London. Where would your husband prefer to go to? It seems like youd much prefer Ireland. I dont think you should counter argue that your husband has been to London before. id say thats all the more reason to go to Ireland, see somewhere new!
    Posted by annieoldfield[/QUOTE]

My husband doesnt care. We just both really want to go on a trip and trying to decide on which location is hard.  His point for going to London possibly is that he's been there and is a 'little' more familiar with it.

Yes, from what we've been looking at in the past, London, in total looks cheaper (not including airfare). However, we haven't really looked into costs within the llast couple of months, so things may have changed.

Our other thought is in Ireland, again from what we've looked at, we'll need to rent a car, whereas London, we could walk / ride the tube.

I do agree with other posters, Ireland does seem more like a once in a lifetime type of thing. However, Im not sure why.

Thanks for your inputs :o)
  • Im not trying to argue but I cant really understand how Ireland is more expensive. Granted, ive never been to Ireland, but if youre planning on staying in one of the main cities, transport should be just as accessible as London. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's mostly because if we go to Ireland, we're going to want to visit the different main locations, as opposed to staying in one place (like we would if we went to London).

We've looked at deal sites and Dh has talked with on TA(he plans on looking for another), but most of the packages we've found, are basically bus tours, which I don't want to do. So that's one thing that I do know, regardless of where we go. I'd like to have the freedom to come and go as we please and perhaps spend an extra day at something if we wanted. (if that makes sense).
  • Ireland because I've always wanted to go there and I've been to London.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I way preferred Ireland to London.

Have you guys thought about Scotland?  Ediburgh is amazing, and I wish I could have had the chance to go to the highlands.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've been to both Ireland (all over the south coast, Dublin (twice) and then a drive up to the north west coast to County Mayo) and London (twice).

I really love both and I think it matters what you want out of the trip. 

London is very urban (obviously), but with that comes shows, restaurants, and tons of history. 

Ireland is more rural, more picturesque places to goes, and lots of variety as far as cities to see and culture to check out there.

PP is right - it is easy to travel up to Scotland and Wales from London due to the trains.  Edinburgh is wonderful.  Glasglow is ... interesting :-)
  • Ireland.  We are going to Ireland for our honeymoon.  FI has been to London, I have not, and he said he just didn't feel there was a lot there that he wants to see that would warrant a week long trip again.  I still want to see London eventually, but more excited about Ireland.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I think a week is a LONG time to spend in London itself. I think you could probably do most of what you want to do in about 3 days.  You could always take the train into the countryside (see Stonehenge, visit some castles, etc) -- which you could easily do by train/bus/taxi, or rent a car for a few days only.

I guess it really depends on what you like to do on vacation.  If you are someone who likes to DO lots of things, then London would be awesome -- tons of places to go and things to see and do.  But there aren't a lot of good opportunities to kick back and relax.  I think most people would come back from a week in London feeling absolutely exhausted.

Ireland, on the other hand, has more "relaxation" opportunities, while still having lots of stuff to do.  
    DSC_9275
  • Totally agree with Avion.

I've been to both multiple times, and would absolutely advise you to pick London.
    Tons to see and do, friendly people who understand the importance of the American tourists in their town, etc.

Ireland is very small.  Dublin, for example, is about the size of St. Louis or some other small capital city in America.  Like Tallahassee.  There is a very small downtown area that you can walk in about nine blocks, and that's it.  The people are pretty cold because they look at your feet and instantly label you an outsider, and they want to protect their way of life from outsiders. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_london-or-ireland?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:56d349de-8841-42d2-a1ee-8168350d5286Post:2693b4bc-b56f-47ce-958a-cec29f3ab1da">Re: London or Ireland?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Totally agree with Avion. I've been to both multiple times, and would absolutely advise you to pick London. Tons to see and do, friendly people who understand the importance of the American tourists in their town, etc. Ireland is very small.  Dublin, for example, is about the size of St. Louis or some other small capital city in America.  Like Tallahassee.  There is a very small downtown area that you can walk in about nine blocks, and that's it.  The people are pretty cold because they l<strong>ook at your feet</strong> and instantly label you an outsider, and they want to protect their way of life from outsiders. 
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

<div>People in Ireland look at your feet to judge who you are?  I've never heard this....</div>
    DSC_9275
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_london-or-ireland?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:56d349de-8841-42d2-a1ee-8168350d5286Post:2693b4bc-b56f-47ce-958a-cec29f3ab1da">Re: London or Ireland?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Totally agree with Avion. I've been to both multiple times, and would absolutely advise you to pick London. Tons to see and do, friendly people who understand the importance of the American tourists in their town, etc. Ireland is very small.  Dublin, for example, is about the size of St. Louis or some other small capital city in America.  Like Tallahassee.  There is a very small downtown area that you can walk in about nine blocks, and that's it.  The people are pretty cold because they look at your feet and instantly label you an outsider, and they want to protect their way of life from outsiders. 

Oh Kristin.  What?  I found everyone in England and Ireland to be very welcoming.  The British even joked with my college friends and I that we were their "wayward cousins."
  • Never been to either, but I did travel all over the main land in Europe one summer, and I found as a general rule all the big cities underwhelmed me, and it was the smaller cities that maybe weren't as touristy that I loved.
    If I could pick one, I would choose Ireland in a heartbeat. I have absolutely no desire to see London.
  • I seriously think Kristen#s lives in a parallel universe, her world experience is completely the opposite of mine.

OP, I lived in London (as well as visited) and I've been to Ireland twice. I love them both. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Ireland was FAR cheaper, I stayed in B&Bs for about 100 Euro a night or less, versus 200 pounds minimum for London. The food is also way cheaper, though London has better food.

I find Ireland very restorative, the people are so warm and welcoming and the scenery is beautiful. London has great museums, theater, shopping, culture. If you go to London, I would recommend 4 or 5 days in the city, and then take a couple of days to go to Bath, Winchester, Stratford, or even Edinborough. 

For me, the decision would be based on time of year. If you are going late May-early September, I would say Ireland. The rest of the year, London. Cold and rainy Ireland is pretty miserable, whereas at least in cold and rainy London you have plenty of places in doors to enjoy. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_london-or-ireland?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:56d349de-8841-42d2-a1ee-8168350d5286Post:2693b4bc-b56f-47ce-958a-cec29f3ab1da">Re: London or Ireland?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Totally agree with Avion. I've been to both multiple times, and would absolutely advise you to pick London. Tons to see and do, friendly people who understand the importance of the American tourists in their town, etc. Ireland is very small.  Dublin, for example, is about the size of St. Louis or some other small capital city in America.  Like Tallahassee.  There is a very small downtown area that you can walk in about nine blocks, and that's it.  The people are pretty cold because they look at your feet and instantly label you an outsider, and they want to protect their way of life from outsiders. 

This is absolutely 100% bullcrap.  H and I got married and spent 2 weeks in Ireland in December 2011 and you couldn't be more wrong about everything in this post. There is TONS to see in Ireland and the people are the nicest you'll ever meet. I don't know how the hell you ever came to this opinion but you're absoutely full of it.

OP - I could go back to Ireland 100 times and love it every single time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LeguLegu member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I live about an hour out of London, and moved here after living in London for a year. My X is from Ireland, so I spent a lot of time there also. Ireland is just gorgeous. In the sun. Which is out about three days a year. Truly, a stunning country. On the other hand, I was there with someone who knew where to take me. I love London so SO much. It's a seriously amazing city. Although, for one week, it's unlikely you'll get any "relaxing" done, but there's sightseeing galore, and there's no reason you couldn't take a picnic to one of the parks and have a "chillout" day. In which case I would STRONGly recommend St James' park, with a bag of nuts or biscuits, because the Squirrels will literally run up your leg once they realise you have food :] Whichever you decide on will be awesome, but like PPs have said, it depends on whether you want relaxing scenery, or sightseeing city.
    So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Personally I'd pick Ireland, but that's mostly cause I lived in London for a year and have enver been to Ireland. 

That said, if you don't want to take a bus tour, you could always travel independently. A year and a half ago, FI and I flew up to Edinburgh and did a week-long train tour through Scotland, picking our own cities and hostels to stay in. And the trains are pretty cheap, especially if you book in advance.
  • If you can take say a week and a half do both!! Once you are in Europe the puddle jump flight is really cheap! I spent a lot of time in the UK growing up, and I once spent literally $1.00 plus taxes to fly from London to Dublin (one way).  Whenever I go to visit family, I always try and go to at least one other country. You can also book a multi city flight with seveal airlines (my favorite is British Airways).

When it comes to cost, it really depends on how things are ecomically there at the time. Europe is more expensive in general (food/shopping) etc than the US, but when I went to Dublin 2 years ago everything was SUUPER expensive. But it is all totally worth it, just have to travel smart and prioritize... Go to the Guiness Factory or eat a fancy lunch etc.

Either way, there is tons to do in both places. Dublin is a good walking city and if you'd like to see the country you can take various tours that take you outside of the city. This way you may not need to rent a car. (Driving in a foreign country can be stressful) What ever you do, don't go to an American chain restaurant in Dublin (they do exist and are terrible).  

I LOOVE London, it is such a cool city, if you go try and see a show at the KoKo Club. If you want to see something not so city you can visit the country or go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Eiher way you can't go wrong and you'll love it. Just remember lots of batteries for your camera.
  • Also... Groupon getaways has been showing some week-long tours to Ireland for pretty cheap. Just a head's up :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards