Chit Chat

FMIL - no real drama, just kind of a "hmmmm?" issue

Not really a vent, just kinda confused . . . . at the fact that my FMIL has bought clothes for me twice that are WAY too big. I mean, really? I know I'm overweight, but I don't need clothes that are falling off of me. I know she means well and is just being nice, but it only seems logical to me that if you're going to buy clothes for someone (especially a woman lol), then it's a good idea to get his/her size before spending your money.

The first item I couldn't return b/c it was from NYC (an "I love NYC" shirt, which is very fun, but practically fits like a dress so I just wear it to bed), and the second was her Christmas gift, (a PJ set) which thankfully, I was able to exhange for my size. No big deal really. I could easily be offended (well, maybe I was at first, I'll confess), but I know she was just being nice. I guess I just need to tell her my size so she'll know for future reference. Anybody else have any FMIL stories to share - good, bad, or neutral?

Re: FMIL - no real drama, just kind of a "hmmmm?" issue

• My FMIL is pretty good about picking out clothes for me.  She knows my size, more or less, but as I live far away from her it would be almost impossible for me to return anything if it doesn't fit.  And every single time she sends me something, I dread that it will be too small (at least slightly too big I could wear....too small is not good).   

If she doesn't know your size, then I would let her know what size you are.  If she gets that size and it still doesn't fit, then you can return it:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Oh MILs....I have my share of stories since she stayed with us for 3 months over the summer.  I rather not think about it.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most likely she just doesn't realize she's buying things too big.  My FMIL bought me a men's large sweatshirt for Christmas because she knows I like to wear my FI's sweatshirts.  But I had to tell her that if I was going to wear it in public then it needed to be a woman's medium.  Not a big deal.  Just talk with her.  I'm sure she'll understand! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Just let her know, but put a positive spin on it like PPs have suggested. Next time you talk to her just say "I love the PJs since I was able to exchange them for a (insert size here), but I have to wear the NY tshirt to bed since it's just too large. Thanks for thinking of me!"
    Anniversary
  • I'm sorry that she is buying you clothes that are too big.  I think you are being very gracious, though, and I really admire your positive attitude.

My FMIL has only bought me T-shirts, and she has asked the size beforehand. Otherwise, I have no doubt she would buy them too big because we are very different in size, so it's probably hard for her to guess what size I would be.  She is very short and has to wear petite sizes, and I am fairly tall and need to wear long sizes.
  • I agree with all PPs

With the tee, check pinterest or craftgawker.com, and see how you can easily make it something new, or into a size wearable for out in public. Many ways are actually no-sew, so anyone can do them, plus it can make shirts even more cute! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fmil-real-drama-just-kind-of-hmmmm-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e34cee3-ebbc-4e61-a83e-65d2a4834372Post:e2e38a78-629e-42c3-b7ff-abb20d09a93c">Re: FMIL - no real drama, just kind of a "hmmmm?" issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Does she ever ask how you like the clothes</strong>?  Maybe next time say something along the lines of "Yeah! They were too big, but I was able to exchange them for a good fit.  These pj's are so comfortable!"  That way it's more of a conversational piece rather than am awkward situation.  
    Posted by Beaniebeach[/QUOTE]

Nope. Both times, FI has delivered them, so FMIL was never there when I opened them, nor did she ever say anything later. I did say thank you and FI notified her that we exhanged the pj's since they were way too big. In fact, he had a really good laugh when I tried them on! lol Next time I see her, I be sure to politely tell her my actual size :)

ETA: when I tried on the PJ's, I actually stuffed a pillow in the pants as if I was pregnant - FI thought it was hilarious b/c they were obviously too big!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fmil-real-drama-just-kind-of-hmmmm-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e34cee3-ebbc-4e61-a83e-65d2a4834372Post:1725cd34-475e-4aea-9deb-fb7775b918fa">Re: FMIL - no real drama, just kind of a "hmmmm?" issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all PPs With the tee, check pinterest or craftgawker.com, and see how you can easily <strong>make it something new</strong>, or into a size wearable for out in public. Many ways are actually no-sew, so anyone can do them, plus it can make shirts even more cute! :)
    Posted by JeremyHeartTrena[/QUOTE]

Never thought of that. I would try it, except now the "heart" has fallen off so it just says "I . . . . NYC" lol! It makes a good PJ shirt though
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fmil-real-drama-just-kind-of-hmmmm-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:5e34cee3-ebbc-4e61-a83e-65d2a4834372Post:e866ffbc-53d1-4999-903e-9d5f498458fe">Re: FMIL - no real drama, just kind of a "hmmmm?" issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh MILs....I have my share of stories since she stayed with us for 3 months over the summer.  I rather not think about it.
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, I understand. I had to stay with FMIL for 5 months when I first moved here from out of state and didn't have a job. Then I moved out and got my own apartment finally (FI and I chose to live separately). Living with her was kind of a nightmare at times and I was soooo stressed b/c we disagreed on so many things, especially money issues. Fortunately, I only got really upset once or twice, but didn't totally lose it.
  • harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think some people are just BAD at estimating what size others are.  For example my grandmother on Dad's side sent my mother Petite's Large size clothes every year. 

My mom is a regular small, maybe a medium since she's a bit too tall for the length of some smalls!  Grandma once said "Well, I'm a petite medium and you're a little taller, so I thought this would fit!"  My mom was like, "Um.... thanks?"

(We never did figure out if it was a passive-agressive statement or just obliviousness.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards