Chit Chat

Re: !

• Options
    Just because a woman wants to have some input on the ring she will be wearing the rest of her life does not mean she dragged her fiance to the store. 

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    It's just you.  Picking out your own engagement ring does not mean you dragged your boyfriend in to a store kicking and screaming.  It simply means that you wanted some input on the ring you are going to wear every day for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    I picked my own ring because my fiance wanted me to be happy with my ring. It didn't take away from the moment that he gave it to me. He didn't give it to me out of the box in the store or when we got home. All proposals are not surprises.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ummmis-just?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69a76237-96ec-4925-9cab-839588947628Post:5b1511f2-02fc-4153-8a6d-659190400649">UMMM...is it just me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]so ive been asked a lot if i picked out my engagement ring and i am always SHOCKED and kind of offended! <strong>do a lot of girls pick out their own ring? doesnt that defeat the purpose and romance of the surprise?</strong> i know my fiance proposed because he WANTED to, not because i dragged him to the store and showed him which one i wanted! just sayin'
    Posted by taylorbea[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, yes and no. Many girls pick out their own ring. I've had friends who have, it's because the groom takes them to the store to do so, or they window shop when they are talking about maybe getting married. As for ruining the surprise, I can only speak to my own experience. We had discussed marriage for some time before the proposal, he hunted out and purchased just the perfect stone, then he showed it to me and told me he had scheduled a consultation with a custom jeweler, and asked me to come and give input in the design (I loved that). The actual time/place/manner of the proposal was still a wonderful surprise. </div>
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Why would you be offended? Unless, of course, they asked you this,  kicked you in the shin and ran away. Or asked you this and then told you to go home and get in the kitchen. Or asked you this and then called you fat. Or  asked you this and then called your mom a whore.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ummmis-just?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69a76237-96ec-4925-9cab-839588947628Post:d44e2eed-6472-4c25-ad0b-e6c804388ff6">Re: UMMM...is it just me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just because a woman wants to have some input on the ring she will be wearing the rest of her life does not mean she dragged her fiance to the store.  Just sayin'.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>if you say so</div>
  • Options
    i am so glad i didnt see this post before all of you answered...you've all said what i wanted to say. Thank you!
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Is your ring so ugly that you are offended that people think that you picked it out? 

This is really the only logical reason I can think of as to why you would be offended at people asking you if you picked it out.

But seriously, many women (myself included) had given my fiance an idea of what I wanted (princess cut solitaire diamond.)  Keep in mind, we talked about this MONTHS before he even bought the ring, let alone a proposed.  It was still a surprise even though I "knew" what kind of ring I was getting.  By no means did I badger him into propsing or even buying a ring.

Edit:  You do realize even though you deleted your original post, it has been quoted so people can still see what you wrote.  It only makes you look worse to delete.

Just sayin'
  • Options
    Only losers delete their posts.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ummmis-just?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:69a76237-96ec-4925-9cab-839588947628Post:2699fccb-8173-4bd3-9bbe-b2d6359a35a8">Re: UMMM...is it just me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: UMMM...is it just me? : if you say so
    Posted by taylorbea[/QUOTE]

I believe I did say so.

But no, you're right.  I actually tied DH to the back of my car and quite literally dragged him to the jewelry store.  Luckily, it was only a few blocks so he only lost a couple of pints of blood.  Then, I stole his wallet, purchased my ring of choice and told him I would drag him all over town until he put that goddamn ring on my finger.

Now look at me, happily married! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ummmis-just?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69a76237-96ec-4925-9cab-839588947628Post:788db7f0-5c77-4b0f-ba08-d31ee473f9a2">Re:!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Only losers delete their posts.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Yup.

I'm glad you were quoted though, so I can comment on what a ludicrous idea this is.

I picked out my own ring and I didn't drag anyone to the ring store.  In fact, I always tease my fiance for "dragging ME to the ring store" because it was his idea to go look in the first place.
    panther
  • Options
    I picked out my ring. H took me to the store and said, "Which one do you want?" Kinda like that scene in Sweet Home Alabama. Except not at a Tiffanys. Man, H is such a fucking cheapskate.
  • Options

I picked out my own ring. DH and I were talking about what to do for our anniversary and he said he wanted to get me a special gift, but was afraid of getting something I didn't like. So I asked what he meant by that, he said he wanted to ask the big question, and we started looking for rings. He asked me to pick it out, and I have no problem telling people we searched together.

But just so you know, all that above is code for "I dragged his lazy, noncommitted ass to the jewelry store and MADE him buy me the biggest, most expensive ring in the store because I'm tired of waiting for my engagement ring, damnit!" Good times.

• Options
    I picked my ring out and I love it so so so much.  So does FI. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ummmis-just?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69a76237-96ec-4925-9cab-839588947628Post:cf59502c-bcfa-48bd-b10b-1e91cd058fa1">Re: UMMM...is it just me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to UMMM...is it just me? : Well, yes and no. Many girls pick out their own ring. I've had friends who have, it's because the groom takes them to the store to do so, or they window shop when they are talking about maybe getting married. As for ruining the surprise, I can only speak to my own experience. We had discussed marriage for some time before the proposal, he hunted out and purchased just the perfect stone, then he showed it to me and told me he had scheduled a consultation with a custom jeweler, and asked me to come and give input in the design (I loved that). The actual time/place/manner of the proposal was still a wonderful surprise. 
    Posted by PetraStonegirl[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this.

OF COURSE I had input. The proposal didn't come out of nowhere. How I spend the rest of MY life wasn't his decision - marriage was a mutual decision resulting from several conversations and, well, our entire relationship up to that point. Once we MUTUTALLY decided to get married sooner rather than later, we went to pick out a ring together. My FI was very relieved over the situation - he didn't want to pick out a ring without my input because I rarely wear jewelry, so he didn't want to pick out something I wouldn't like. He agrees that since *I* am the one wearing it for the rest of my life, it should be something I truly love. (And I did have a list of things I wanted, which he agreed with - for example, we both like white metals and interesting/intricate settings.)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Before we got engaged, DH had a friend propose to his then-gf (Now wife). His friend picked out a ring completely unassisted ... and the girl totally hated it.  She loves him very much, and he adores her to no end but the man just has no taste in jewelry.

DH picked out my ring, bought it by himself, and the proposal was a complete surprise ... but after it came out that his friend's FI hated her ring, he's the one that sat me down and pretty much said "Look, you have to wear it forever,and I really want you to love it ... so please tell me what you'd like".  I didn't pick anything out (We never shopped together), but I did tell him "Well, I prefer this metal and this cut, I hate solitares, etc ..." And guess what? I absolutely love my ring.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I picked out my ring too. I think you are being ridiculous to assert what you have DELETED. I agree with PP when they said that they should have some say in what they will wear for the rest of their lives. I don't care what people say about me picking out my ring. Also, I did not drag anyone down to a store and demand that they spend thousands of dollars on me. Grow up. This is 2010 and not 1910. 

I love that we picked out the ring together. Also, my proposal was still super sweet. :) 

Too bad you got railroaded with a ring that probably doesn't even suit your taste. Better luck next time! (wink)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    FI and I have known for 15 years that we're getting married.  We also know that I used to sell jewelry so I know more about stones, settings, and styles than he does.  I have very definite ideas about what I like and don't like for myself.  Not only that, but I keep track of our finances so I would have noticed a sudden large withdrawal from our joint account. 

So...  not only did I pick out my own ring, I also told him what our budget could be and kept it well below that.  No surprises in our relationship... just two adults deciding that it was the right time to get married and knowing how much we could spend to do so. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards