Chit Chat
Options

Frustrated- Vent

I'm feeling pretty frustrated with my FI right now. He's going to moving to a different city in a few weeks and had suggested taking some of my furniture with him now so we wouldn't have to get a truck again when I move in with him in a few months. I can see how he wants to try and save some money but at the same time its just hard because I haven't told my parents yet and I would  have to since they would see some of my furniture would be missing when they visit and would ask. I just thought I'd have some time before I had to tell them because it's going to be hard to do since they don't approve of living with your significant other until you are married. So that is kind of why I'm having trouble I guess because it's something I'm not looking forward to. I feel though that my FI kind of forgets about how it might be for me to tell them because his mom is very liberal and isn't like my parents at all. He seems pretty upset with me about this and it's upsetting to me to know he's mad at me. I just don't know how to handle this and wanted some advice and to vent. 

Re: Frustrated- Vent

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_frustrated-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:69b1b807-969c-44b4-9d99-b728f6123ac7Post:e082b65a-b690-4895-9ed0-86a68754b726">Frustrated- Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm feeling pretty frustrated with my FI right now. He's going to moving to a different city in a few weeks and had suggested taking some of my furniture with him now so we wouldn't have to get a truck again when I move in with him in a few months. I can see how he wants to try and save some money but at the same time its just hard because I haven't told my parents yet and I would  have to since they would see some of my furniture would be missing when they visit and would ask. I just thought I'd have some time before I had to tell them because it's going to be hard to do since they don't approve of living with your significant other until you are married. So that is kind of why I'm having trouble I guess because it's something I'm not looking forward to. I feel though that my FI kind of forgets about how it might be for me to tell them because his mom is very liberal and isn't like my parents at all. He seems pretty upset with me about this and it's upsetting to me to know he's mad at me. I just don't know how to handle this and wanted some advice and to vent. 
    Posted by redharedsunshine[/QUOTE]

You two made the decision to live together, so I have no idea why you are mad at him. I don't think your FI is in the wrong. If you are planning on living with him, then you need to tell your parents. You made an adult decision, so time to deal with it & explain what will happen to your parents.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    If you do not feel comfortable with living together before you are married you don't have to.

But if you want to, you are going to have to tell your parents, they will find out eventually, and its best if it comes from you.
    I love my BFG ♥
  • Options
    He has a good idea  if you've already decided that you're going to live with him.  You need to tell them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I agree with the previous posters.

Also, my parents (my father especially) were very much against my living with my boyfriend (now fiance) before marriage.  I loooooove my father.  Looove him.  But, I also realized that I was in my mid-twenties and completely supported myself. I could see how if he was still supporting my financially to a certain degree, then he'd have a leg to stand on about my nixing my decision.  But, I was a fully-functional adult and I could do as I pleased.

I heard initial grumbles, but after that it was accepted.  We're getting married.  My father happily said yes to my fiance when he discussed engangement with my parents.  It all ended well :)
  • Options
    I do not think you should be mad at you FI, he is just trying to do what is best financially. If you decided to live together before marriage you need to tell your parents and not be mad that FI for moving forward with your plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards