Chit Chat
Options

I am a little confused

OK so since i was a little girl I have dreamed of getting married in the church. Well I moved several years ago and I havent been to church bc of my job. Well my FI isnt baptised and he would have to be to get married in the church, he is fine with that. Well we are having a old family priest do it and the preist here in town doesnt seem happy about it. The preist here in town just hasn't been that nice to FI and I. Honestly i dont want to get married by someone that doesnt care for us. I thought it was my imagination on the whole he doesnt like us but my FI says the same thing. So part of me just wants to have a reg ceremony, the thing is the originally date was jan 15. But for us to get married by someone else we would have to do it when it is warmer and outside, bc i dont think of a ceremony that we could do inside. I was thinking OCT wich really pushes are plans and i dont want to do it later, well bc i just dont want to. I dont know what to do.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I am a little confused

• Options

I'm not sure I follow.  Does "old family priest" mean that he is the priest at the church where you grew up?  If not, why not get married at the church where you grew up?  Or you could find a different church?  Maybe a different officiant at the same church?  You could also ask on your local boards for other (non-church) venues, such as a museum, conservatory, hotel ballroom, restaurant, etc..  If you want an outdoor wedding, pushing it back to March isn't that far from your original date.  Something is going to have to give.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ???

I agree- why not go to a different church?  Or find another officiant and venue?
  • Options
    It sounds like your priest from home is coming to a different church to marry you, correct? 

The priest probably doesn't think wanting to get married in the church since you were a little girl is a very good reason.  The priest wants you to want to get married in the church because you and your husband want to start your life together by having a relationship with God and contributing to the church.  This very well may be your intent, but if you give the impression that the church is just one more vendor to check off your list on your pretty princess day, you are going to annoy the priest. 

Also, since the presiding priest in the church where you are getting married isn't officiating the ceremony, you are pretty much just using his church as a backdrop.   Even if your intentions are pure, you have to understand how that could be insulting.  And keep in mind that by getting married in his church, you are using church resources that cost money--people will have to work on Saturday who normally don't, someone has to clean up after you leave, etc.  I don't know if you are a member of this church, but if you aren't, you aren't contributing to it financially but you are still getting the benefit of marrying there. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards