Chit Chat

Banning BP..they suck big time!

I've been reading a lot about BP's oil spill and now they're saying that the oil is reaching parts of Florida..clumps of tar has reached the shores...this is gonna get much worse before it gets any better...killing so much wildlife in its path..destroying jobs...stupid BP...banning BP oil..join the fight!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!

• Am I able to ban BP if I have no BP near me? Hmmm...

I cannot find the serious link I want about the spill BUT these are just to funny not to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtfevVB5eBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM&feature=channel
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:a4f7e64a-89a8-4484-a327-0c638ac3d5df">Re: BP sucks big time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I able to ban BP if I have no BP near me? Hmmm... I cannot find the serious link I want about the spill BUT these are just to funny not to show. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtfevVB5eBk" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtfevVB5eBk</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM&feature=channel" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM&feature=channel</a>
    Posted by erollis[/QUOTE]
    I saw "BP spills coffee" this morning, and it was the hardest I've laughed at anything in awhile. Hilarious, but simultaneously sad that's true.
  • Do you mean boycott?  The truth is that gas stations are such a tiny part of what they do with the petroleum that even boycotting BP stations will do little, if anything, to hurt them. 
  • edited June 2010

You can't think like that..how ever small our efforts may be, we still have to try..one person changing may not affect the bigger picture, but joining as a group of people can definitely go a long way...anything that we can do as a group to boycott BP..

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:a4a562b5-d024-4492-821c-2db2b5407f9d">Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been reading a lot about BP's oil spill and now they're saying that the oil is reaching parts of Florida..clumps of tar has reached the shores...this is gonna get much worse before it gets any better...killing so much wildlife in its path..destroying jobs...stupid BP...banning BP oil..join the fight!
    Posted by qtxvixen[/QUOTE]

Banning (whatever that means) BP?  Not really going to help. As the more money they have the better they can pay the claims. Plus, they are no worse than any other oil company. This type of thing happens with drilling. We need more stringent  laws concerning the safety of the technology. Why do people want to boycott BP? Do people really believe they did this on purpose? Drilling in general is dangerous.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • ban: to forbid, to prohibit...

Yes of course drilling is dangerous....do I think they need to make better stronger safety regulations..hell yes..of course i do..but the fact is that animals are paying the price..for human error...and thinking that "it's not going to help" in my honest opinion is not the right mentality to have in a situation like this...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:2e689920-61de-45b7-b401-656a986c9426">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ban: to forbid, to prohibit... Yes of course drilling is dangerous....do I think they need to make better stronger safety regulations..hell yes..of course i do..but the fact is that animals are paying the price..for human error...and thinking that "it's not going to help" in my honest opinion is not the right mentality to have in a situation like this...

My point was that boycotting BP is the worse thing you can do. BP is paying millions in claims & clean up. If they stop making any $, then they can't help fix it.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Don't you think you'll be hurting local people by boycotting your local BP?  No business means they don't need the employees they have thus local people will be put out of work.
  • I have to echo the sentiment of not boycotting local gas stations. BP gas stations are franchises, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), so you would only be hurting the owners of that gas station, not BP.

It doesn't really do any good to penalize the hypothetical Jones family down the street who opened a BP gas station around the corner. They're just trying to make a living like the rest of us.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I agree. Honestly BP was drilling to supply a nation dependent on oil and its products. BP was drilling off American shores, providing American jobs, what happened is unfortunate but it could've been any company. I think its a wakeup to how much we need to reduce our dependency on oil and support alternative energy
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • i totally agree M1ssJ..i wish we could find an alternative source of energy rather than oil..maybe one day..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2010

Also, if you want to make people aware of your disgust for the situation, write your representatives. There are a lot of form letters floating around on the Internet from the Sierra Club and other organizations. You can call them, too. They all have office numbers that are publicly listed. You can also donate money to clean up, if you feel so inclined. 

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd rather not. I'd rather my dad and my friends husbands and fathers still have jobs.

It would be nice if BP would clean up their own mess, though, so people wouldn't be looking to the government and blaming hte president for the spill. He's not a friggin engineer, nor is his head big enough to stop up the hole. I don't understand how this is the government's fault. Last time I checked, all of the wild well capping companies were privately owned.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • There's a page on Facebook suggesting they plug the oil leak with Sarah Palin.  I'm down.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • you're very naive if you really think that boycotting BP is going to actually do anything, or if anyone really is going to do it. 

and it's boycotting, not banning. you can't ban a company by not using their products, that's not how the word is used. using proper english is the first step in getting people to take you seriously. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:c864c0c4-d8f9-4be8-a9cc-d01ac9aaa8dc">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a page on Facebook suggesting they plug the oil leak with Sarah Palin.  I'm down.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

lol where do i sign up for that? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:03751018-081a-40f1-84a7-a0aa3a575598">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]you're very naive if you really think that boycotting BP is going to actually do anything, or if anyone really is going to do it.  and it's boycotting, not banning. you can't ban a company by not using their products, that's not how the word is used. using proper english is the first step in getting people to take you seriously. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

First of all your missing the bigger picture here..secondly it can be used in the way I meant it..you can check dicitonary.com to help you understand what I mean..or maybe a thesaurus would be more to your liking..and lastly..have you never used slang in your speech? or when you txt/email/etc?..is proper English the only way for people to take another person seriously? It's ok to lighten up a bit..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:a4a562b5-d024-4492-821c-2db2b5407f9d">Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been reading a lot about BP's oil spill and now they're saying that the oil is reaching parts of Florida..clumps of tar has reached the shores...this is gonna get much worse before it gets any better...killing so much wildlife in its path..destroying jobs...stupid BP...banning BP oil..join the fight!

Most BP stations are actually independent stations and not owned by the BP corporation. If that's the case, they don't necessarily get their gas from the BP corporation. If everyone boycotts all BP gas stations, they are just going to hurt the small independent stations not the corporation.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:8355f5dc-794e-4b6f-8634-6cff1a3e48e1">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to echo the sentiment of not boycotting local gas stations. <strong>BP gas stations are franchises, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), so you would only be hurting the owners of that gas station, not BP.</strong> It doesn't really do any good to penalize the hypothetical Jones family down the street who opened a BP gas station around the corner. They're just trying to make a living like the rest of us.
    Posted by Licia&Wayne[/QUOTE]

My mom works for The Pantry Cooperate office in NC, They own quite a few BP's like thousands of them actually. And if they start loosing business they'll close them down. And all the workers will be out of work.

Boycotting is definitely no solution to the problem.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:714c018b-7865-47f9-b901-c0d1aaf82c4b">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Banning BP..they suck big time! : My mom works for The Pantry Cooperate office in NC, They own quite a few BP's like thousands of them actually. And if they start loosing business they'll close them down. And all the workers will be out of work. Boycotting is definitely no solution to the problem.
    Posted by Charlinichole[/QUOTE]

You're right..it does affect the locals and it's in no shape or form their faults for what is happening in the Gulf..I guess I'm just flustered about this situation and I'm trying to find the best course of action..didn't mean to impose my thoughts on anyone or tell people what to do..in no way was I forcing people to think the way that I do..when I said "join the fight" i meant ways to help this situation...people take things way too literal sometimes..black and white..everyone is more than welcome to share their thoughts here...Donating money sounds like an excellent idea and writing letters is even better.. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, not all gas stations that have BP's oil clearly advertise that they do so. So you could be boycotting the gas stations you know about...and still end up with BP oil.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    OP,  just a heads up.  The only people that will be hurt by a BP boycott are the families that indepentently own each station.  Most of the stores are not company-owned, so that will really help our economy.  The boycott will only put more local businesses out of service and more local people that had nothing to do with the spill out of work.  If you want to do something, make sure the people in your community are getting the benefits that are due to them from BP.  Set up town meetings to share the information with the locals.  Volunteer to clean the birds and fish.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:b8351237-fd59-49eb-9d9e-452a6d9439ca">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Banning BP..they suck big time! : First of all your missing the bigger picture here..secondly it can be used in the way I meant it..you can check dicitonary.com to help you understand what I mean..or maybe a thesaurus would be more to your liking..and lastly..have you never used slang in your speech? or when you txt/email/etc?..is proper English the only way for people to take another person seriously? It's ok to lighten up a bit..

Ummm.  No. 

#1 - this is a message board.  If you expect someone to take you seriously,(ie. not like a 6th grader typing away at their querty keyboard) you need to write using proper English.  Text speak is frowned upon here, big time.

#2 - "using slang" is not an excuse for using a word in the completely wrong context.  What you are trying to say does not fit with the definition of the word "ban."  Your own posted definition doesn't even fit.  Before you start trying to insult people, you need to figure out the limitations of a thesuraus.  (it suggests SIMILAR words to the word you are searching, but contextually, they're different.)

#3 - If you are suggesting that we, as individuals, stop using BP products, then the proper term is boycott.  If you are suggesting that the United States government institute a law prohibiting BP from operating within the country, then the proper term is ban.  By the context of your post, I'm guessing that you meant the former.

YWIA.  <----  text speak for you're welcome in advance.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • tide, stop using logic and proper grammatical sentences. it just confuses them. 
  • But...  I put YWIA at the end.  I thought she could at least get that part.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Wow! It's a just a bit tense in here. Laughing  Perhaps we should all just vote for representatives and Senators that support alternative energy in the November election and pledge to do one eco-friendly thing a month. Doesn't that sound like something we don't have to boycott or ban?
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • You know what? Industrial accidents happen all the time. Yes, alternative energy would be nice, but its not gonna plug the damn hole either. THis could have happenned to any company, not just BP. They are trying to fix it, but there is no easy fix. Normally well cappers don't have to work a mile under the water, so its not like they are just sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

The real way to help this situation is to go to the Lousiana and Mississippi coasts and help clean up. Money doesn't sop up all that oil that is ruining our precious wetlands and has killed the shrimp, fish, and oyster industries in southern Lousiana, my home.

PS. You could also go get your hair cut and donate it to the cause. They are making oil capturing materials out of donated hair.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bp-sucks-big-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83730243-b6f9-4c80-8e79-28eec85215fePost:ad073655-685b-4533-9024-fc6e25754c10">Re: Banning BP..they suck big time!</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS. You could also go get your hair cut and donate it to the cause. They are making oil capturing materials out of donated hair.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]
    Sarah, where would are taking the donations?  It's about time for my biannual haircut, and while I usually donate to Locks of Love, I'd be perfectly willing to go to a different cause this time.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Here: http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html

I heard Willie Nelson got his cut for the cause, which really impressed me.
  • FYI boycotting BP, and having them eventually go out of business will do nothing but ruin our economy, even further than it already is.  Someone has to clean up all that oil, and as it stand right now BP is the one covering the cost.  If they go under we'll have to declare a state of emergency and send in FEMA, which would mean taxpayers are paying for the cleanup.  Is that what you want? 

The current estimate is something like $170,000 a day (cost to clean up) is pouring out of that well.  It's been pouring out for 54 days now.  That means if we were to put an immediate stop to the flow of oil right now, there'd be in excess of 9 million dollars worth of cleanup to be done.  Do you want to foot that bill?  I sure as hell don't.

So in short, boycotting BP and putting them out of business is equivalent to severing the carotid artery of our economy when we're already trying to stop the bleeding out of the femoral artery.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards