Chit Chat

I NEED SERIOUS HELP OR A REALLY GOOD THERAPIST!!!!

So...it has taken me MONTHS to decide whether to have a destination wedding or not but due to the fact that my fiancee's hours have been cut at work due to the economy I finally decided a few months ago that we would do an In-Suite wedding at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. It made sense to us because we would have the ceremony and reception in the suite, invite our closest friends and family, and we could stay a few extra days for a honeymoon. Please keep in mind that we do not have any financial help from either of our families. However, my father is not happy and we got into a big arguement because he thinks going to Vegas is too far. We live in Maryland so it will be approx. 5 hours on a plane for my 83 year old dad. When I first told him about Vegas he seemed okay and I knew I would have to make sure he has a wheelchair and is accommodated but he is now starting to freak out! If we got married in MD, it would cost us way too much money that we don't have and we would have to sacrifice a honeymoon. I'm so confused...I thought I could get my dad there but he is really stressing me out and I am supposed to have the suite paid for this Friday or else I will lose my date in August and they don't have anymore dates in August available. I'm wondering if I should just cancel the whole thing since it may be too much trouble to get my dad there safely. HELP!!!! :-(

Re: I NEED SERIOUS HELP OR A REALLY GOOD THERAPIST!!!!

• edited January 2010
    I dont see why staying in MD cant save you money, Im sure they have nice places on the beach somewhere you could stay for your honeymoon and itd be cheaper than flying to Vegas. Personally, I woulnt want to ask an 83 yr old man to have to travel that far and I wouldnt ever give up having my Dad at my wedding. He might have been okay with it at first cause he was just excited his daughter is getting married, maybe now that you're more serious, reality is setting in and thats why hes all-of-a-sudden freaking out. Im having my wedding in FL which is a destination for me and fi but my entire family lives down there and the reason were traveling and his family is traveling is just so that my grandparents wouldnt have to travel. Idk what kind of health your father is in, he might be in a lot better shape than my grandparents, but Id still feel like this is asking too much. since we're in FL anyway, we're just gonna get a hotel on the beach for a few days, it wont be so much of a get-a-way being that my family will be within 10 mins from where were staying but we just wont tell them which hotel. Tongue out
  • I would also keep it closer to home and ensure that all the people important to me were there. Why not find a quaint bed and breakfast that can accommodate your event? I can't see how that would be more expensive than Vegas.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Oh and to add....if you find a bed and breakfast, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate if you offer some of your pics for their website for advertising...
  • I also vote for the B&B idea.  If your dad was my dad's age (64) I'd tell Dad to "suck it up". But with his age and his concerns, I'd definitely look into something small at home.  I'm sure you'd have some luck with a beachside location or B&B, as PPs have said. Good luck!
    Crosswalk
  • Thanks for everybody's feedback...I may just cancel everything in Vegas.
  • I agree with all the other ladies, and I also have to say that Vegas would not, in a million years, be my 88 year old dad's idea of a good time.  Not only because of the plane flight there, but the Vegas vibe isn't really geared toward the (quite) elderly.

For me, if the question was DW or dad..........dad wins hands down every time.  I can go to Vegas anytime.  I can get married with my dad once.  And especially at his age, how many more years do you realistically have with him?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited January 2010
    I am a Vegas Bride and I am using MB and the Vista Suite, and too tell you the truth I am SURE I could have found a place here in CA for the same price, but no matter what our guest would be traveling, that's why we chose Vegas. FI's dad is also "bed bound"  due to an accident so no matter what he could not attend, and Vegas offers Internet Viewing, which is another reason we choose Vegas. But......If he was able to attend if we moved it closer that is what we would have done. So....I agree with PP's you should try and stay closer.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • If I were in your shoes, I think I would go for a super simple cheap local ceremony and small reception for family only then go to Vegas (or wherever) for your honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards