Chit Chat

NWR: Camera suggestions please!

Hi ladies,

I am looking into buying a new digital camera.  I currently have Sony 10.1 cybershot, its a great camera, but it doesn't have a long zoom.  FI and I usually take lots of road trip and the landscape pictures are bad.  We are driving to Florida in a couple of months and I want to purchase a new camera before then that has a better optical zoom.  I would love to have a digital SLR, but its way too expensive.  So cameras with similar features, but a lower price tag would be great.

So far I have found the Canon Powershot
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9455127.p?id=1218107269974&skuId=9455127

Does any one have this?  or Would you recommend something else to look into? One of my problem is that the canon camera is a bit bulky than I would like it to be, and I am wondering if there is anything smaller or lighter with same features.  It is not big of a deal, but just wondering if there is something out there. 

Thanks Ladies!

Sorry for the long post! 

Re: NWR: Camera suggestions please!

• HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    Hi ladies,

I am looking into buying a new digital camera.  I currently have Sony 10.1 cybershot, its a great camera, but it doesn't have a long zoom.  FI and I usually take lots of road trip and the landscape pictures are bad.  We are driving to Florida in a couple of months and I want to purchase a new camera before then that has a better optical zoom.  I would love to have a digital SLR, but its way too expensive.  So cameras with similar features, but a lower price tag would be great.

So far I have found the Canon Powershot
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9455127.p?id=1218107269974&skuId=9455127

Does any one have this?  or Would you recommend something else to look into? One of my problem is that the canon camera is a bit bulky than I would like it to be, and I am wondering if there is anything smaller or lighter with same features.  It is not big of a deal, but just wondering if there is something out there. 

Thanks Ladies!

Sorry for the long post! 
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Hinaj!
    I have a Canon PowerShot S5 IS! It's a little bit older and has been everywhere! I totally recommend this camera - I use 4 rechargeable AA batteries, and after 4 hours of continuous shooting, either in pictures, or video mode, I can pop in 4 more.

I currently use a 32 gb stick and it goes forever, actually, I don't think I've taken pictures/video off in a few months!

The camera has plenty of features, most of which I don't use, but have played around with.

It is a little bit bulky, but the interchangeable lenses is far superior to buying a light camera.  Most Digital SLR cameras are bulky for the amount of features, and what kind of resolution you can get picture wise.

I have a bigger purse that this fits right into.  I can show you pictures to get a feeling for the type of pictures this camera takes.

I just submitted pictures from this camera to our company's 2011 calendar, and one won!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • I have an Olympus, and it's great! Not to mention the one time i had a problem, the customer service people were so fantastic and just sent me a new camera
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • I've never had that camera, but I've had 2 Canon cameras (most recently Powershot SD950 IS digital elph), and I absolutely love them.  They are the best cameras I have ever used, and the picture quality is always amazing.  I would never hesitate to recommend them.

If you'd like a smaller camera, you should check out the digital elphs, to see if any of those have the zoom power you're looking for!  I've never had an issue w/ the zoom on my camera...but I'm probably not taking pictures like you are.
  • I recently got a Sony HX1 and I LOVE it! Totally recommend it!

• Have you considered ebay?  You could find something like a Canon Rebel XT for less than $300 with a reasonable starter lens, something like an 18-70mm, and it will take much better pics than the typical point and shoot cameras, then when you have the money, you can invest in some other lens options.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for all the recommendations, I will certainly look into them!! 

Vegasgroom,

Actually, it did not even cross my mind to consider ebay to purchase the camera, even though I am big ebay buyer.  I will definitely look into it, I am probably a little hesitant buying it sight unseen and other things that can go wrong with places like ebay but I will def. check it out and see what I can find.  Thanks for the suggestion!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards