Chit Chat
Options

Happy and Bummed

I am getting married next Saturday the 15th. . . . that means the 10 day forecast is officially up!  It looks like 0% chance of rain and high 70s.  Yay!!!!

Unfortunately, I got a text last night from a friend.  Her and her husband RSVP'ed yes to our wedding after much drama that we didn't invite their 18 month old child (we aren't having any kids at the wedding).  Initially we thought they might not come because she wasn't invited, which obviously was their right to choose to do.  Needless to say, we were thrilled when they said they were coming.  Last night I got a text that the wife that "they have to do what's best for their situation" and she will likely stay home with their daughter.  I am pretty bummed about it!  I know it's their choice, but I just got really excited when I thought they were coming, and wasn't expecting this 9 days out Frown

Re: Happy and Bummed

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_happy-and-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:90557be1-df89-47e4-958f-ff2e555c447cPost:88be8414-f952-4689-b662-87988cc85ffd">Re: Happy and Bummed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mom probably started freaking out thinking about leaving her kid alone. A friend of mine posted on facebook about how nervous and scared and uncomfortable she was to be without her baby for a few hours for the first time since she was born (15 months).  Like you said, it's her choice. At least she isn't coming with said kid in tow and then leaving before dinner is even served (same friend did this at another wedding we both were at, which I found pretty rude). 
    Posted by Harry87[/QUOTE]

Their daughter has been invited to every other wedding they've attended since she was born. . . . either voluntarily by the bride and groom from the outset, or after threats and guilt trips. . . . . . . I fear this may be a last ditch effort to get us to invite her.  I told her last night that I understand her position, that obviously her child takes priority and that she will be missed.
  • Options

It's good that you stood your ground, but that's the risk you take when children aren't invited. So far (fingers crossed) it hasn't been an issue for us.

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_happy-and-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:90557be1-df89-47e4-958f-ff2e555c447cPost:f489aefc-7c33-477d-9078-f015215969c1">Re: Happy and Bummed</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's good that you stood your ground, <strong><u>but that's the risk you take when children aren't invited</u></strong>. So far (fingers crossed) it hasn't been an issue for us.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. FI and I have alot of friend's and family who have children. We're making our receptions friendly to all ages. We're even making a kids table with things that will hopefully keep them occupied and not get too bored.
    We wouldn't want to have people decline to our invite because their kids aren't invited.

But that's just us.....other's like it keep it more formal and in control. To each their own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest PitaPata Dog tickers my read shelf:
    Jen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_happy-and-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:90557be1-df89-47e4-958f-ff2e555c447cPost:27af77ca-08f7-4fec-9282-53721c50f577">Re: Happy and Bummed</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy and Bummed : I agree with this. FI and I have alot of friend's and family who have children. We're making our receptions friendly to all ages. We're even making a kids table with things that will hopefully keep them occupied and not get too bored. We wouldn't want to have people decline to our invite because their kids aren't invited. But that's just us.....other's like it keep it more formal and in control. To each their own.
    Posted by mrsbiss2be[/QUOTE]

Same here.  But I hadn't thought of the kids table idea so thanks for that.  I'll PM you to get more details. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_happy-and-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:90557be1-df89-47e4-958f-ff2e555c447cPost:f0e9766d-9d10-4ee7-bad9-97dfee6ce87d">Re: Happy and Bummed</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy and Bummed : Their daughter has been invited to every other wedding they've attended since she was born. . . . either voluntarily by the bride and groom from the outset, or after threats and guilt trips. . . . . . . I fear this may be a last ditch effort to get us to invite her.  I told her last night that I understand her position, that obviously her child takes priority and that she will be missed.
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]

<div>Good for you.  It sucks that sometimes that choice means people you care about won't come, but you're better off standing your ground and telling her that she'll be missed.  She might just surprise you and get over it, but if she doesn't, it was her decision.  </div><div>
    </div><div>It's her kid and her call, but at 18 months, I feel like she's really just trying to guilt you.  If it were an infant or she had to travel, I might feel different, but it's pretty rare that a parent goes for 18 months without ever leaving the baby with someone for a few hours.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_happy-and-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:90557be1-df89-47e4-958f-ff2e555c447cPost:0fbcbd07-ed6a-46f7-b102-d8e2b8b84b2a">Re: Happy and Bummed</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy and Bummed : Good for you.  It sucks that sometimes that choice means people you care about won't come, but you're better off standing your ground and telling her that she'll be missed.  She might just surprise you and get over it, but if she doesn't, it was her decision.   It's her kid and her call, but at 18 months, I feel like she's really just trying to guilt you.  If it were an infant or she had to travel, I might feel different, but it's pretty rare that a parent goes for 18 months without ever leaving the baby with someone for a few hours.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

Their daughter has probably stayed for an hour or two at a click with someone else. . . . that's it.  This mom is one of the moms that falls into the "my child goes wherever I go" category.  It seems exhausting to me, but it's her decision.

You may also remember, this is the same couple where the husband dropped out of the wedding party a few months back because at the time of the wedding his wife would be 8 months pregnant and he "couldn't leave her alone for pictures".  Oh well. . . . . the party goes on!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards