Chit Chat
Options

ring worm

Has anyone had this?  I developed a strange looking spot a few days ago that I thought was just a really huge and annoying bug bite.  I didn't think much of it until the second day when one of the bumps looked very irregular, almost like a circle, but not a full one.  FL said it really looked like ring worm and we googled it.  Problem is, today is Friday and I can't go to the doctor until Monday.  Now my scalp is really starting to itch and I am worried it spread there.  I know it is contagious.  Any advice for what I can do over the weekend until I get to the doctors on Monday?  Thanks!

Here is a picture.. it is a little hard to see, and it looks much more pink than it did on the second day where it was a shade a red.  

Re: ring worm

• Options
    Do you have any immediate care clinics in your area? If so I would go there; they generally keep hours on the weekends.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I would absolutely go to an emergency clinic, first thing when they open in the morning.  Would not let this spread until Monday.
  • Options
    I believe there is a place near my house that is open on Saturdays.  I do not have insurance though so I would have to pay out of pocket.  I can cough up the money so I don't have to wait.
  • Options
    I did buy anti itch cream from target.  It is the same as cortizone 10.  Unfortunately it took me a few days to realize what this was, I think it happened to me on Tuesday.  I am just not sure if it is in my head and it is making my whole body feel itchy or if I actually am itchy.
  • Options
    If it's ringworm (and it sounds like it is -- I've had it a few times) then you'll need an antifungal cream.  You can try something that's made for athelete's foot, and it might help some (it certainly won't hurt).  If it's ringworm, then hydrocortizon cream won't help.  

You can try just going to a pharmacy, and asking the pharmacist what they have over-the-counter that will treat ringworm.  

An urgent care center shouldn't be that expensive.  They can write you a prescription for a stronger anti-fungal cream than you can get over-the-counter (still shouldn't be too expensive).  You may be able to get your normal doc to write a prescription for you over the weekend, but my guess is that for something like this they'll just tell you to wait until Monday.  It really shouldn't get much worse in two days.  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Definitely try to see someone about it today. When I had it, I just assumed it was a bug bite, until it obviously wasn't. It gets pretty gnarly looking, andplusalso, now I have a round scar.
  • Options

Just buy the stuff from target and itll be gone in a couple days. If not, then go see a Dr, but really all the Dr. will do is prescribe you exactly whats in the antifungal cream. Ive had it before, its very common and easy to take care of :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When I was young we lived in the country and some feral cats started hanging around our house. My four year old sister was obsessed with them and carried them around on her head ( I know, I know). Well she ended up getting ringworm all over her head and her hair fell out in big patches so YES go to the doc and do not let this spread!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ring-worm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:91d6871b-1e43-4892-a93f-a1366f08fc8aPost:ac87c34f-dcae-4d61-8147-d95a637763d1">Re: ring worm</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe there is a place near my house that is open on Saturdays.  I do not have insurance though so I would have to pay out of pocket.  I can cough up the money so I don't have to wait.
    Posted by shaina925[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't you have to pay out of pocket to go to the doctor on Monday too though?  Most urgent cares are actually cheaper than an office visit at your regular doctor.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ring-worm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:91d6871b-1e43-4892-a93f-a1366f08fc8aPost:01e4bcfd-3e6f-403e-8f12-9d51f25aa6fc">Re: ring worm</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ring worm : Wouldn't you have to pay out of pocket to go to the doctor on Monday too though?  Most urgent cares are actually cheaper than an office visit at your regular doctor.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Man. .. I wish that were the case for me :(

OP, I'd seek medical attention as we aren't medical experts here ;o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ring-worm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:91d6871b-1e43-4892-a93f-a1366f08fc8aPost:e67925f8-ec60-473f-9737-da40666b42db">Re: ring worm</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree.  I'd go to an immediate care clinic.  You might also call your doctor's office and leave a message with their answering service. Someone will be on call this weekend and can either prescribe something or direct you to wherever you should go (immediate/urgent care clinic, ER, whatever). <strong>In the meantime, if the itching is driving you mad, you could probably use a hydrocortisone cream on it.</strong>
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If it's a fungus, a steroid cream like hydrocortisone will make it <em>explode and go nuts</em>, because a catabolic steroid depresses the immune response to the fungus. (Dad's a doc; also, I got a fungus from an old sports bra in high school, and I put a steroid cream on it, thinking that it was just a rash, and it got gigantic overnight.)

</div><div>If it is something like hives or an allergic response to a bug bite, then a steroid cream will help.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you DON'T know, go to an urgent care clinic.</div>
  • Options
    If it is ringworm, you can slather it with an anti fungal cream like Monistat (no joke).
  • Options
    AthseaAthsea member
    First Comment
    I agree, use antifungal cream you can find at any drugstore. Lotrimin Ultra or the generic equivalent are probably your best bet. Ringworm in a fungus, so an anti-fungal cream should take care of it. If not, it will at least help stop the spread until you can get to a doctor. 

Although if it has spread to your scalp, go to the doctor ASAP, because regular antifungal creams don't work. 
  • Options
    I had one on the base of my neck from always tying my damp hair in to a low ponytail. I went to the doctor and he sent me to the drugstore to get an anti-fungal shampoo. It smelled like crap and made my hair frizzy but it cleared it up.
  • Options
    I got ringworm once working at an animal shelter. Opened a cage to clean and a cat rubbed all over my neck. The lady I worked with told me to dab some bleach on it. Thought she was nuts but it worked. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards