Chit Chat
Options

Can't believe they did this to me... (awful day rant)

I might as well have been fired tonight. I've been on vacation a week from my job, a paid vacation I earned. I called tonight to see when I had to be in. My friend Amber answers the phone and said I will check but your hours got cut BAD.

I work 3 days and 16 hrs total! I went from 32 hrs to 16! Apparently Obamacare went into effect or affect not sure which to use here and to pay for the up in insurance costs the status 3 workers have to work 40 hrs and can't give any to anyone for any reason. I have not gotten my paperwork and now I won't because they say they can't afford it! I have tried for months to get the paperwork through my union rep, through my H.R and through my management and nothing!

I worked for a yr and went through all sorts of crap to get my earlier hours. I always got off at 6, 7 or 8. Now I close every night I work! 

What's worse are the ladies above me who have been there for 5 yrs working to get their seniority now have to close also! Its just a horrible situation all around.

My department manager had no idea this had happened today and walked into a group of furious women. The assistant store managers said they had no idea and called other stores who said they had no idea.

Magically, ALL HR and corporate go to people are on vacation and they can't get any idea.

I want to quit! I can't afford to get married if I stay so I am thinking of going to a factory. :-(

Re: Can't believe they did this to me... (awful day rant)

• Options
    edited October 2012
    You need to talk to your union rep.  Immediately so you can get a straight answer - not one that is rumors from co-workers. What industry are you in?  Do you have skills that are transferable?  Also, which union represents you?  While most are good (I was once part of the IBEW) there is one out here that is notorious for not representing its members.  Our insurance went up this year but not to the point where payroll was being affected.  Finally, were you hired in at full time or part time?

eta - keep in mind that a lot of companies are pulling this right now before the elections and blaming it on the Affordable Care Act along with some telling employees there will be mass firings if Obama is re-elected.  Just like insurance companies told doctors that their med mal insurance shot through the roof about seven years ago because of all the evil trial lawyers out there - truth was, they lost their shirts from stock market investments that went sour and needed to make up the money. Don't always believe the reasons companies give for why things are being done.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I work for a grocery store. My union rep never shows up and never answers.  I leave messages and nothing. I don't think there is anything we can do. If we are part time they don't have to give us insurance and I never got to fill out my status 3(full time) paperwork because they never got them to me. So now I am part time pretty much permanently and they nixed my insurance I just got eligibility for this past month. Now my son and I won't have insurance until My FI and I are married. I hate that company and will never buy anything from them again.

They say that the full time people have to work full time so they can afford to pay them insurance. I don't see how that is right at all. It makes no sense.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_cant-believe-they-did-this-to-me-awful-day-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:953d63c6-7485-44d6-b199-3a02dc42280fPost:e274f2b0-17e6-46c4-b4be-79d551caa470">Re: Can't believe they did this to me... (awful day rant)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work for a grocery store. My union rep never shows up and never answers.  I leave messages and nothing. I don't think there is anything we can do. If we are part time they don't have to give us insurance and I never got to fill out my status 3(full time) paperwork because they never got them to me. So now I am part time pretty much permanently and they nixed my insurance I just got eligibility for this past month. Now my son and I won't have insurance until My FI and I are married. I hate that company and will never buy anything from them again. They say that the full time people have to work full time so they can afford to pay them insurance. I don't see how that is right at all. It makes no sense.
    Posted by BriLeigh89[/QUOTE]

Your son is eligible for S-CHIP.  Get him signed up for that as soon as possible.

Full timers are guaranteed full time hours.  There's nothing you can do about that.  Companies will cut part-timers hours before they lay off full timers - and that really is the choice.  Full timers are going to collect a higher unemployment benefit and if you work for the Ohio based grocery store chain I think you do, the full timers are very protected by their contract.

The company may not have gotten the paperwork to you because they knew these hour cuts were coming and nobody was going to be made full time right now.

All you can do is look for another job.  I know it sucks.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You really do have my sympathy here.  I get at least one call a week from part-timers who have had their hours cut and want to take legal action.  Your best route would be your union.  Find out who the shop steward in your store is and start there.

eta - it's been years since I've practiced in Ohio, so you may want to call an attorney on Monday and see if anything has changed.
  • Options
    I have all the info on my rep. He just never answers and never helps. We don't even have copies of our new contract they set into effect shortly after July4th. We no longer get paid holiday pay, and last two holidays, I worked 8 hrs and got paid for 6. I said something and nothing happened. I don't know what is going on but I've been asking for my status 3 paperwork for 3 months. 

I will probably just find another job. I already got hurt there once. Might as well get a safer one. I just really like the staff and my customers but I just can't live in a situation where the ground can fall out from under me at any moment and they can just kick us in the paycheck whenever they want. 

Whether I get my paperwork or not I bet they won't grant it. I worked my tail off and I was moving up and I have been doing everyone's job on top of mine and I get punched in the face. I literally burst into tears when I heard the news, my FI grabbed my hand and told me it would be ok and not to worry because he has been laid off and fired before so he understands but that didn't help. I love my job and now I hate big corporations.... :-( 
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_cant-believe-they-did-this-to-me-awful-day-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:953d63c6-7485-44d6-b199-3a02dc42280fPost:64721307-4548-48ba-8f31-85842798b853">Re: Can't believe they did this to me... (awful day rant)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have all the info on my rep. He just never answers and never helps. We don't even have copies of our new contract they set into effect shortly after July4th. We no longer get paid holiday pay, and last two holidays, I worked 8 hrs and got paid for 6. I said something and nothing happened. I don't know what is going on but I've been asking for my status 3 paperwork for 3 months.  I will probably just find another job. I already got hurt there once. Might as well get a safer one. I just really like the staff and my customers but I just can't live in a situation where the ground can fall out from under me at any moment and they can just kick us in the paycheck whenever they want.  Whether I get my paperwork or not I bet they won't grant it. I worked my tail off and I was moving up and I have been doing everyone's job on top of mine and I get punched in the face. I literally burst into tears when I heard the news, my FI grabbed my hand and told me it would be ok and not to worry because he has been laid off and fired before so he understands but that didn't help. I love my job and now I hate big corporations.... :-( 
    Posted by BriLeigh89[/QUOTE]

I would definitely call a lawyer on Monday or find a legal aid office and talk to someone there.  If you got hurt, you may have a workers' compensation claim.  You and your co-workers may also have a claim against the union for failure to represent - I don't practice in this area so I'm not sure.

This happens across the spectrum, not just at big corporations.  DH and I both left Ohio because of the job market.  <em>A lot</em> of friends have done the same.  It's more expensive to live out here but the job market is more stable for us.

ETA - you can call the Franklin County Bar Association for hte name of an attorney to contact.
  • Options
    I'm sorry about your job.

I'd like to make another suggestion. Keep your part time job, for now. See what types of programs are available at your local community college. You may find a certificate program that will get you a better paying, more stable job. Visit their financial aid department to see if you qualify for assistance.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_cant-believe-they-did-this-to-me-awful-day-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:953d63c6-7485-44d6-b199-3a02dc42280fPost:0d2d25a9-9890-424e-acf7-d553ff4f2feb">Re: Can't believe they did this to me... (awful day rant)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry about your job. I'd like to make another suggestion. Keep your part time job, for now. See what types of programs are available at your local community college. You may find a certificate program that will get you a better paying, more stable job. Visit their financial aid department to see if you qualify for assistance.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Do not quit.  It is much much easier to find another job when you currently have one - even if it is only a few hours.  Maire is also right about continuing education. 
  • Options
    Bri, I'm sorry you're going through this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bri - I'm really sorry. The others had good suggestions. Keep your PT job for now while you look for something better. Also, check with the state to see if you and your son qualify for some kind of health insurance. Many states have health programs and food assistance for children.

If you decide to keep working part-time and end up going to school, some schools offer health insurance as well. Some schools bill it right along with your tuition and fees so your financial aid will cover it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards