Chit Chat

NWR: Job Search Angst

Completely unrelated to weddings, but...

I am SO FRUSTRATED at the job market right now.

A lot of people are told that teachers are needed everywhere and it's easy to find a teaching job - not true! I've been trying since May. part-time tutoring is fine, but it's not a career.

Is anyone else in my position? Completely qualified for a job you went to college for, gone on numerous interviews, but still jobless? Please make me feel a bit better about myself and convince me not to give up looking.

Re: NWR: Job Search Angst

• I'm not much inspiration, but I'm there.  I finished law school and passed the bar in 2008.  I work for myself, but I can't make any money and have been actively looking since June.  I think I've been on 25ish interviews, probably sent thousands of resumes, ugh.  

I'm starting to make myself crazy picking everything apart.  Right now, I have an ongoing debate with myself about whether or not I should wear my wedding ring on interviews.  
  • I relate. I have two undergrads and a Master's and have not been able to find a job in 9 months. :(
  • I also have two undergrad degrees (BA in classical studies and BS in chemistry) and an MS in chemistry.  I found a part-time job teaching at a college after I graduated in August, but I wasn't able to get anything full-time.  Now I don't have anything to do June-Aug.  What do teachers do in the summer?

Panda, are you looking for K-12 teaching positions?  I know it's hard to find those here in NC - Charlotte just laid off 500 teachers.  Have you looked into teaching at the college level?  Depending on the program, sometimes you can teach at a community college with a bachelor's degree.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-job-search-angst?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a848750d-793b-4adb-b875-c2a9cb3895f0Post:4929b950-3acf-4f65-ac38-5eb3d2a71571">Re: NWR: Job Search Angst</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not much inspiration, but I'm there.  I finished law school and passed the bar in 2008.  I work for myself, but I can't make any money and have been actively looking since June.  I think I've been on 25ish interviews, probably sent thousands of resumes, ugh.   I'm starting to make myself crazy picking everything apart.  <strong>Right now, I have an ongoing debate with myself about whether or not I should wear my wedding ring on interviews.  </strong>
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I've actually wondered this too. What are your concerns about wearing or not wearing it? I wonder if maybe an assumption will be made that you might not need the job as much if you're married and supported by your partner. Though I wear mine because I think it helps project a more mature image since I look young for my age. I realize that marriage =/= maturity, but I think people make assumptions based on it.

OP, I'm sorry you're struggling with this. I can definitely relate too, as I have been out of work for over 6 months now. I have a Masters and am months away from getting my doctorate in clinical psych, and I can't seem to nail down a mental health position no matter how hard I try. Good luck to you.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • My battle is with the kid thing.  I don't want kids, but I can't really go in and say that.  I don't want people to assume that since I'm recently married and 30 that I intend to start popping out babies and taking a bunch of maternity leave right away.  But I go back with the mature/settled thing.  I also don't want them to think I'm still a party girl.  

I know they aren't supposed to consider that, but at the last 3 interviews I've been on, being married has come up.  I'm also interviewing primarily with small offices, where I know someone being out on mat leave would be a big deal.   
  • Oh, I didn't even think about the kids thing. That's a great point. It's come up for me in interviews too, even though it's not supposed to. I feel like, since that rule gets broken anyway, it's too bad you can't just come out and specify that your life plan doesn't involve maternity leave. But obviously that would seem like oversharing. It's kind of a crappy catch-22.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Exactly!  What industry are you in?

I think I'm going to take it off for the next one and see what happens.  
  • Might as well go for it! :) Good luck with that.

I'm in mental health, where the choice to wear a wedding ring is made into a BFD in training because it can reveal things about yourself to clients, etc. It's a very sensitive issue. So that's why it's so surprising to go to an interview (usually conducted by a senior therapist) and be asked straight out what my husband does for a living in the context of salary negotiations.

• JHS16JHS16 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-job-search-angst?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a848750d-793b-4adb-b875-c2a9cb3895f0Post:e10a6c64-9c6e-4b56-8d12-c0b5261d63d0">Re: NWR: Job Search Angst</a>:
    [QUOTE]My battle is with the kid thing.  I don't want kids, but I can't really go in and say that.  I don't want people to assume that since I'm recently married and 30 that I intend to start popping out babies and taking a bunch of maternity leave right away.  But I go back with the mature/settled thing.  I also don't want them to think I'm still a party girl.   I know they aren't supposed to consider that, but at the last 3 interviews I've been on, being married has come up.  I'm also interviewing primarily with small offices, where I know someone being out on mat leave would be a big deal.   
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>At least you're getting interviews!  I passed the Bar last year and FI and I are trying to make it with our own firm, while continuing to apply for jobs too.  I completely understand that law firms are border-line discriminatory regarding hiring young women.  The wage gap between male and female attorneys remains wide as well. </div>
  • Beatles, That's crazy!  I guess it just shows how much people blatantly ignore the rules about these things.  

JHS, What sort of practice are you getting into?  I know exactly what you mean, every time I walk into a big firm, the only women are paralegals.  But the profession is pretty balanced, so...?  Then again, a lot of my female lawyer friends are unemployed, so I guess that explains it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards