Chit Chat
Options

I'm a huge A-hole!

So I have the best FMIL and FFIL ever.  I could not ask for a better family to join.  Seriously they are such great people and I am a very lucky girl.   They live 4 hours away, but we live at a lake and they have a house here and come down often.  FMIL has asked what she can do to help with the wedding and really right now there isn't much she can do, I have told her that, and that when it gets closer I will need help decorating, help with the potato salad (we are doing a huge BBQ she makes the best potato salad), and she is happy with that.  I have still been keeping her in the loop, we go through the magazines when she is down and she is very excited about the wedding.  Here comes the part where I am a huge a hole.  A few weeks ago, my mom, my aunt, and I went dress "looking", and ended up finding "THE" dress so we bought it.  FMIL was not in town that weekend other wise I would have asked her to go as well.  While we were trying on dresses my mom took pictures, and I sent them to my MOH and her mom who were shopping for dresses where they live.  I also posted (not pictures) on facebook how I found the dress and it was so awesome, and my aunt commented on how pretty I looked in it.  I remember thinking that I needed to send a pic to FMIL, and honestly if you had asked me yesterday I would have said I did but..... last night we went to dinner with FMIL and FFIL and she brought up the dress, and asked in the most kind no hidden undertone way.  "I know Jeff can't see the dress, but are you keeping the dress a secret from everyone me included?"  then she mentioned seeing the post on FB and how my aunt had seen it.  I wanted to puke, my face was red, and I thought I was going to start crying right there over my salad.  I read the horror stories about MIL's on here and I always think how lucky I am, and I could tell she was genuinely hurt, not overly so but a little.  I told her how sorry I was, that I had thought I emailed her a picture, but obviously I had not and I would send her one ASAP. So of course since I failed there I also can not find that picture in my phone or email. I must have accidently deleted them. So my plan is to go over to my mothers where the dress is hidden and have her take a few pics of me in the dress to make up for it. So ladies let me have it tell me how dispicable I am please! UGH! And if you have any a hole moments to share please do tell, no judgement from me will you get.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm a huge A-hole!

• Options
    I don't think you did anything wrong.  You just found what you wanted and were excited to get it.  If you expressly promised your FMIL that she could go shopping with you, then I could see a little why she'd be hurt. But I don't know that it's her place to demand that you show her the dress.  In my family, the dress is always a secret to everyone but the bride and her parents until the wedding day, so not showing it to anyone, to me, is normal.  I kinda think she needs to shrug it off and get over it.  And if I were you, I'd keep ANYTHING about the wedding off of Facebook from now on.
  • Options
    I think you're getting upset over a very minor issue.  She sounds like a really nice lady, and I'm sure she'll understand if you tell her that you could have sworn you'd sent her a picture, and are sorry that you didn't.  I think it's great to take a few pictures for her to see.  Maybe you could include her in shopping for accessories like veil and shoes, or offer to go shopping for her dress with her.

Really, in the grand scheme of things, I think you're fine.  You didn't intentionally snub her, and I think she'll be gracious enough to understand that:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I also think you are overreacting. Honestly, Crap happens and things get forgotten. I'm sure she understands and isn't going to hold this, of all things, over your head for eternity.
    Maybe ask her to go with you to the first fitting? 
  • Options
    Take a deep breath!! The thing that makes someone dispicable and an a-hole is intent. We all say something or do something in a perfectly innocent manner that hurts someone UNINTENIONALLY and we feel horrible. The feeling horrible part is what makes someone NOT an a-hole or dispicable. You say they are wonderful people and the wonderful people I know are very forgiving when something is so innocent and not done INTENTIONALLY. You have apologized. Go ahead and let her know that you accidently deleted the pic but will get some at your mom's house. If she is as wonderful as you make her sound, you are one lucky girl. Stop being so hard on yourself!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for making me feel better.  Overreacting is actually my middle name. lol  I know she understood and probably has not thought about it since.  She IS an incredibly forgiving person. That is why I felt so terrible. We have become super close since Dear Sweet Cowboy brought me home to meet mom and dad, she is the Italian June Cleaver and the kind of mom who is honestly happy when her children are happy.  I also believe she thought she would be around when we purchased or at least see the dress, since it was me and her going through magazines picking out dresses I liked, the weekend before I got the dress and I had told here that my mom and I may go to Kansas City to shop which is FMIL's neck of the woods.  It was totally by accident that my mom and I ended up looking for dresses the day we did.  We were all actually headed to Sam's Club, and had the idea to stop by and look at dresses while we were in town.  Having her over to my moms is a great idea, then we can show her the decorations we have bought as well. 
  • Options
    StageManager- Thank you I feel way better now. :)

Lucy- She never measures anything!  So I'll tell you what she told me, the secret is in using Helmans Real Mayo and Miracle Whip, but more Miracle whip.  She also puts in mustard, celery, eggs and paprika.  I've mastered it and basically if I am doing 7 medium sized potatoes I do one heaping scoop of Helmans, then add mustard and mayo.  I just keep tasting it till it gets how I like it. 

Thanks everyone for your input!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards