Chit Chat
Options

Did anyone exclude these wedding items?

I really don't see the need for a guest book or to buy a cake and knife serving set. Did anyone exclude these items? Can anyone offer other alternatives to having a guest book?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Did anyone exclude these wedding items?

• Options
    Do you mean no cake at all, or just eh knife set?

Nothing in a wedding is mandatory except the bride, groom, officient, two witnesses, and a marriage license. All the other stuff is frills and is not necessary.

If you want to save twenty bucks and not buy a guest book, I doubt a lot of people will even notice. (Some people like to do other things, like a scrap book page everyone can sign. You could do something like that so you can at least have something to look back on)

You do needs something to cut and serve the cake with (unless your cake person is providing it) You can use one you have lying around, but a lot of people like to have the nice bridal set. They have them at wal-mart and craft stores for super cheap.

So no, none of that stuff is mandatory, but a lot of people like to have them.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The cake is included in our reception package and the venue provides a serving set to use. It's not the cash i'm worried about- I found guest books online ranging from $8 to about $100. I just don't want to use an item one time and then never look at it again. I was starting to think maybe i'm not sentimental.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_did-anyone-exclude-wedding-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b6e520f3-9d8b-477d-b1d4-00a600f4f230Post:b753e530-7de7-4eb9-a258-82dfdfea224a">Re: Did anyone exclude these wedding items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The cake is included in our reception package and the venue provides a serving set to use. It's not the cash i'm worried about- I found guest books online ranging from $8 to about $100. I just don't want to use an item one time and then never look at it again. <strong>I was starting to think maybe i'm not sentimental.</strong>
    Posted by JadziaDax[/QUOTE]

<div>This sort of made me laugh--I'm the same way.  I'm sentimental, I just don't like "stuff."  Pictures are what do it for me, not "stuff" I'll probably only look at once.  If you don't want it, don't get it!</div>
  • Options
    I bought a cheap server set (less than $10) because I saw it and liked it and am not sure what my venue provides.  For the guest book, I made a scrapbook of sorts on Snapfish with our engagement photos on the left hand side and lines/empty space on the right side of each page.  I figure that way I may leave it out as a coffee table book or something since it has our engagement photos.  My brother and SIL had some sort of polaroid camera and a bunch of goofy hats and people took photos of themselves and then glued them into a blank scrapbook type thing and wrote a note.  Kind of like a photo booth, only way less effort.

If you didn't have either one, I doubt anyone would notice though.  Do what suits you and FI.
  • Options
    I would say that maybe the only upside to a guest book is keeping track for thank yous. Other than that, I don't think it's necessary and we won't be doing a traditional guest book either!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There are tons of things you can do instead of a traditional guest book - A signed photo matte to put on your wall, have each guest sign a puzzle piece that you two assemble, etc. I am definitely not doing a guest book - I don't want the memento of my wedding sitting away in a drawer. 
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little less crazy for not wanting these things now!
  • Options
    I didn't want to do a guest book either, but my parents bought one, so we'll just use it.
    I wouldn't say so much taht your not sentimental, just that you realize material objects aren't what you'll remember from your wedding day. Guest books are pretty boring. People just sign their names. Why would I want to look back in five years at everybody's signatures, when I could look at photos.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel the same way Lizzie. We'll have photos and the video and the cards people give us.
  • Options
    I'm just buying a plain cheap cake set from Walmart, and for guestbook, I'm doing a matted picture of us.  That way we can hang it at the house and see it every day and it won't be stuffed in a drawer to never be used again.

I was also thinking maybe having a guestbook "card" kind of thing.  Maybe putting out cards the size of a business card, and asking everyone to put their names, address, and phone numbers on them so we can start building our own contact list for home.  
  • Options
    I'm skipping these. I just don't care. We aren't doing cake either (pies). I certainly don't see the point in having some fancy set to have sit in some random place forever.

For a guest book we'll be getting people to sign bottles of wine. 5 bottles of wine--1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th wedding anniversary. Drink em up on those anniversaries. Much more my style haha.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    We skipped them....We even skipped the cake.  We had a fake cake with a really good dessert instead which came out cheaper.

As for the guestbook, I honestly don't get the point.  People are going to give you cards anyway and I find cards are a nicer keepsake than a guestbook.  Skip it and save the $$.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't bother with a knife or serving set since we had cupcakes.  Even if we had had a traditional cake, we probably would have just borrowed those items from my MIL.

We didn't have a traditional guest book, since I think those are fairly boring.  Instead we had cards that people could write wedding wishes (or whatever they wanted) on them and we put the cards in a little book.  That way we'd have record of who came and we'd have something more interesting to look at than just a signature.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    We're doing a photo mat in place of a guest book.  I know I'll probably never pull out a guestbook again, but I really like the idea of hanging up our signed photo mat in our house and being able to see it daily.  :)

We're not buying a cake serving set either, I could care less about a pretty serving set, but that's just me. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options

A friend of mine had 2 guestbooks.  One was of their favorite engagement pics, and people signed the pages, and another was a traditional book.  I prefer the one with the pictures, because I would actually look back at the pictures.  The book with signed names, probably not.  I think we will have a few different wine bottles and have people sign those in siver and gold sharpie.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    We did not have a cake serving set.  We just used what the venue had (ditto for toasting flutes). 

We did have a guest book, but they are totally unecessary. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ditto to the matted photo.  I bought my at WalMart (called Black Signature 11x14 frame)...you get 2 for $20 which is good for a big wedding.  Haven't had my wedidng yet but I'm really excited because they are a really nice quality and the mats are plenty big.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards