Chit Chat

XP: Recessional song

Hi ladies, I have pretty much all my special songs figured out except for this one. Is it supposed to be a slow song, or a like celebrate happy upbeat song?? I know there are no rules really, but what is typical?? What did you guys use?? FI suggested "another one bites the dust" ... Lmao
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: XP: Recessional song

• You can use anything you like. We actually had a bag piper play for our recessional. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Most people use happy/upbeat for recessional songs.

My sister used "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" and I used "Today Was a Fairytale."  You can really use whatever you want, but you should run it by your officiant if you're having a religious ceremony to make sure it's okay:-)
    DSC_9275
  • We went for fun and upbeat. We used "Say hey I love you" by Michael Franti and Spearhead. I loved it!

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • We used Star Wars Throne Room for ours.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We used "Hallelujah I Just Love Her So" by Ray Charles. It was just the piano though.

A friend of mine used "How to Save a Life" by The Fray for her processional, again just the piano, and while the piano is beautiful and actually really nice for a processional, it did creep me out a bit.
  • I understand that, we weren't actually using it I just thought his suggestion was funny. This actually brings me to another question, do all the songs we have need to match whatever is happening literally?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • We're planning on using the theme song from the Avengers. We're nerdy like that.
    Anniversary
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-recessional-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b8829a69-7028-4eb1-865b-b696b3c28cfdPost:99cf817b-6178-40b1-a788-453d70d85f0a">Re:XP: Recessional song</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand that, we weren't actually using it I just thought his suggestion was funny. This actually brings me to another question, do all the songs we have need to match whatever is happening literally?
    Posted by abbyizzymommy[/QUOTE]

No they don't. Retread just takes music lyrics way too seriously. It's one of those things we know and love about her.  FWIW I used Somewhere Over the Rainbow and Biggie's Juicy as an entrance which references selling drugs and getting rich from it. It was important to use because 1) it was playing in the background when he proposed and 2) it was a nod to DH's neighborhood in Brooklyn.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-recessional-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b8829a69-7028-4eb1-865b-b696b3c28cfdPost:8b134905-656a-4c5e-bb56-d45f42514c91">Re: XP: Recessional song</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm old enough to remember what the song means, and what a sad mantra it was to Judy Garland's life. Pardon an old lady, please. :) Did anybody look up the Rod Stewart song yet? Tell me you could have sat through that without diving under the table. I dare you.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I looked it up. It's about sex, just like half the stuff on the radio. 

• RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-recessional-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b8829a69-7028-4eb1-865b-b696b3c28cfdPost:a0be38f1-c4a7-4372-bc5a-3e1a8dab4fd1">Re: XP: Recessional song</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand that, we weren't actually using it I just thought his suggestion was funny. This actually brings me to another question, do all the songs we have need to match whatever is happening literally? No, but one hopes the couple will exercise some level of taste, and not pick something horrifically inappropriate WHAT WOULD YOU THINK IF YOU ATTENDED A WEDDING WHERE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE BRIDE WALKED DOWN TO THE AISLE TO VERDI'S "REQUIEM" OR "TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT"? OR THE GROOM COMES OUT TO SOMEONE RAPPING, "GONNA GET ME SOME?" I WENT TO A WEDDING WHERE THE COUPLE DANCED THEIR FIRST DANCE TO ROD STEWART'S "TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT."  THIS WAS IN THE 70s, AND I REALIZE MOST OF YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO BE FAMILIAR WITH THE SONG.  SUFFICE IT TO SAY THAT, WHEN THE SONG REACHED CERTAIN VERSES, I HAD TO FLEE TO THE BATHROOM.  I WAS JOINED BY OTHER GUESTS, SOME ELDERLY, AND WE LAUGHED UNTIL WE CRIED. GOOGLE THE LYRICS.  TELL ME IF YOU STILL CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

RETREAD, WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING SO MUCH?!?!?!?!? SURELY THERE IS A MORE CALM AND RATIONAL WAY TO SUGGEST PEOPLE "JUST GOOGLE THE LYRICS"!!!!!!!!

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• We are using You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oats.  We are both very excited about it!  It's fun and upbeat and appropriate, in our opinion.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ease up, Retread, it was a joke. You've been around more than long enough to know that anybody who posts in all caps is going to get told to "STOP SHOUTING".

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• We're going to use "I Melt with You" by Modern English, I love the upbeat tempo, and sure some of the lyrics may be a bit out there, but come on, my Fi and myself are adults in our 40's.  We can handle it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards