Chit Chat
Options

Venue issue, not sure where to post

So my fiance is a DJ in his spare time.  On Saturday night I joined him while he DJed an event at our wedding venue.  I have joined him for many of his gigs before, but this one was a dramatically different situation.  The staff of the venue was unbelievably rude to us.  At one point, I walked up to the bar to get a drink (at the event host's urging) and was told that I was with a vendor, so i couldn't have anything.  When it came time for our meals, they told us to go down the hall and eat in a different room, that we couldn't eat in the ballroom (a little tough for the DJ while he is mixing songs).  I have never experienced this before, nor has he.

My question is this . . . . .we really love everything else about our venue, but what is the best way to approach this issue to make sure that our vendors are not treated like second class citizens?  Obviously, I don't want our dj, mc, or photographer to be boxed halfway through the party, but if one of them gets thirsty, I don't want them to have issues getting a beer, or a glass of something!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, i wasn't sure which category it fit best into.

Re: Venue issue, not sure where to post

• Options

Are you working with someone specific at the venue?  I would talk to them or the manager and let them know what happened and that you do not want your vendors to be treated that way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Milk Duds:  They gave us a glass of water with our meal.

I guess we will just express our concerns to our contact, and tell him specifically that the vendors should be allowed to eat in the room for our event. ( i just assumed that would be a given at any event)
  • Options
    rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_venue-issue-not-sure-where-to-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:bcb26482-b87f-40d6-9583-0e72c4b7614ePost:a66bb380-90fd-4bbc-9897-f9498ada0acc">Re: Venue issue, not sure where to post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Milk Duds:  They gave us a glass of water with our meal. I guess we will just express our concerns to our contact, and tell him specifically that the vendors should be allowed to eat in the room for our event. <strong>( i just assumed that would be a given at any event)</strong>
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]
    I've never seen vendors eating inside the event room before. Usually they go to a small side room nearby. Sometimes they eat the same food as everyone else & sometimes they have a boxed lunch type meal with sandwich or something. That seems to depend on the venue and what the B&G pay for. I agree with PP that vendors shouldn't really be drinking while working. I'm sure you're not allowed to drink while at your day-time job, so this isn't any different. <div>
    </div><div>While I'm no dj expert, my dj said he will pre-mix a dinner set of songs & just have it play while all of the vendors are out eating. The live mixing doesn't occur until the dance section. Perhaps your FI does it differently. </div>
  • Options
    When we gave the seating chart to our caterer, we listed where we wanted the vendor table. It was inside the main room. I also checked in with them during the reception to make sure they were being treated well and that they all all the courses we did. I don't think everyone has to do this last part, I was just very fond of our vendors :)
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_venue-issue-not-sure-where-to-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:bcb26482-b87f-40d6-9583-0e72c4b7614ePost:77a85b79-f832-4265-8880-78a933c8f926">Re: Venue issue, not sure where to post</a>:
    [QUOTE] I also checked in with them during the reception to make sure they were being treated well and that they all all the courses we did. I don't think everyone has to do this last part, I was just very fond of our vendors :)
    Posted by angele4200[/QUOTE]

agreed.  I feel like part of proper hosting is to make sure that everyone is being treated well, and has everything they need.  It just irks me that the general consensus of employees at this venue is to talk down to vendors.  Guest, Vendor, Busboy, maintenance man. . . . . . . they should all be treated the same, and spoken to respectfully.
  • Options
    Eating in a different space is actually typical. As far as the alcohol, if they paid per person it makes sense for the bartender to say no. But if they pay by the bottle then there shouldn't be an issue...

This is something you should iron out with the coordinator. Let him/her know you want the vendors to be able to enjoy themselves as long as their work is getting done and make sure to set aside a table for them in the space.

It very well could have been the bride and groom who insisted no vendor drinks and that they eat away from the guests, not the venue.
  • Options
    I've never seen vendors eat in the same room as guests.  Mine ate in the bar area.  As for the alcohol- vendors shouldn't be drinking on the job.  They should though be allowed to have sodas and water.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My opinion differs a little. 
    My MOH runs a catering company.  Last year, when I heard that she was catering a wedding at a venue that I loved, I begged her to let me work it!  I was horrified at the way the venue owner/manager treated her!  They refused to allow her to set up her own kitchen, forcing her to use theirs.  They promised that she would have the entire kitchen, but when we arrived, the kitchen was being used by the florist, the photographer and there was stuff stored for an event the next day.  We adjusted and did the best we could.  The owner/manager complained that the kitchen looked "too messy" and "there's stuff crammed in the middle of the kitchen floor" while we were trying to serve food.  The venues' valet parking crew, kept walking in the kitchen to sneak food - even though the B&G had vendor meals.  AND, if that wasn't bad enough....my MOH had it cleared with everyone that her daughter (who's 10) be there for one hour during set up. (It was unavoidable), but the owner/manager felt that meant it was okay for her 4 year old daughter to be in the kitchen's pantry for the ENTIRE time, before calling us "so irresponsible. I'll never let them work here again."

As a result, I would never use them!!!!  I would hate to have a vendor I selected treated that way.  The issue with that venue was mainly the owner, so hopefully, you'll be able to talk to someone who wasn't involved with that wedding at your venue.  If you can't switch to a new venue, then make sure you have everything in writing in regards to how you want your vendors treated.

I'm having a cocktail style reception, and I've put my FFIL in charge of bringing the DJ a plate of food.  One BM is in charge of bringing the photogs a plate of food. (Mainly because, even though I've told them it's fine, I know that they won't!  I don't want them passing out!  =)

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards