Chit Chat
Options

"Not so" Happy Hollydays - going on a long distance

Hi everyone,

First of all I am really sorry If I write something wrong in this post. Thats because I am actually from Germany. I am in the states since January 2011. 
And thats also when I met him. I came to the US as an exchange student and meet the love of my life during my first month in the states. Since this time we are unsepperable. 
This is going to be our first Christmas together..  but it wont be a very happy time because one week later I have to fly to Germany to finish up college. 
We are sure we belong together and we know what we wont.
We both think getting my degree is the most important right now.
This kinda means that we wont see each other for at least 10 months.
maybe a year.... or longer.... 
Well but I could talk about this on and on... 

Actually I write this post because I hope to get some christmas present ideas from you. I am thinking about buying a nice box or a little hand luggage ( maybe vintage? ) and I want to fill it with all kinds of stuff what you need when you are in a long distance relationship. Do you have any ideas what this could be?

I think about:
- a sleeping shirt of me
- a little flacon of my perfueme
- a scrapbook with all the pictures we took together
- a worldmap
- Pen Paper and Envelopes
- A print of my feet ( sounds kinda silly .. but I always have cold feed so i stick them in bed under him to warm them up ... during summer I also always put my feet in the car up against the front window.. so they left some tiny spots there .. i asked him if i should clean it a few weeks ago because i noticed it "he is really picky with his car" but he wants to keep them till I am back.
- a book about a place we used to go together
- a German dictinary and a German travel guide ( he wants to visit me in october ) 
- a compass

I have lots of tiny ideas... 
but mybe you have some good ideas  too 

hope to hear from you

Thanks a lot

Re: "Not so" Happy Hollydays - going on a long distance

• Options
    A clock or a watch that you set ahead of time to local Germany time. 

I hope you have a wonderful holiday and good luck!
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Options
    Cute idea!

Maybe some prepaid phone cards for international calls? Not sure if you have international calling plans or not.

Some of your favorite German treats (Candy, etc.)

Little German and US flags
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • Options
    Wow that sounds really cute!  Long distance relationships are a lot of work, but with Skype and email, communication is certainly much easier, and doable. 

I'd say don't spend a lot of money on vintage luggage--guys don't typically care much about this (my FI wouldn't know the difference between great vintage and a regular suitcase).  Does he have luggage now?  If he already does, don't get him a duplicate of something he has--spend your money elsewhere, maybe on a nice toiletry bag or something else he can use while traveling.

I love the idea of pictures/scrapbook.  What about envelopes for every month with a different picture of you and message in it to open once a month until he sees you?  Remember, guys are visual, so more pictures=better :)  Also, what about pictures of some of the great places in Germany that you want to take him?  I'd photoshop in pictures of the two of you.

For the pen/paper/envelopes--I suggest pre-stamping with the correct postage for Germany.  I find that men can be kind of lazy about stuff sometimes, and if it was my FI, it would take a lot of effort on his part to find out the correct postage.

Good luck!  I hope it works out for you two :)  Time will fly by and October will be here before you know it. [Sorry for the unorganized thoughts above--I'm at work and doing a million things!]
  • Options
    So cute! I don't have any great suggestions, but I want to offer encouragement.  Long distance relationships are tough, but they're a crucible: bad relationships crumble, good relationships are honed and come out better, like pure ore.  My FI is in India & I'm in the US. Hang in there!
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you guys so so much! This is wonderful. I love the ideas. They are so great. I am excited to work on all of these :) 
    Something else came in my mind today too:
    I have little envelopes ( I made them one time for an art project ) They are all tiny air mail looking envelopes. 
    I was thinking about writing tiny notes in each of them and hide them in different spots in his apartment. I try to hide them really carefully so he wont find them all at once. He should find them unexpectly during the year.
    What do you think about this?

I also thought about talking on one of the hallmark books ( they record your voice )

And I want to change his ringtone on his i phone ( Im not sure if this is possible ) but he always makes fun of me because I sing every song I hear in the radio even if i dont know the lyrics.. so it always ends up  with la la la la la ... ( he says it sounds like jodeling :D ) So it would be fund when I call him I "jodel". 
    ( I dont think I am jodeling ;)  )

Thank you so much for all of your help, doing all these projects kinda helps me keeping my mind of the upcoming seperation.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_not-happy-hollydays-going-long-distance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:bccba3a3-67a6-456c-be39-3c24e072acefPost:56d0c8f6-dfe7-49fe-8748-308ffbe3d8aa">Re: "Not so" Happy Hollydays - going on a long distance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you guys so so much! This is wonderful. I love the ideas. They are so great. I am excited to work on all of these :)  Something else came in my mind today too: I have little envelopes ( I made them one time for an art project ) They are all tiny air mail looking envelopes. <strong> I was thinking about writing tiny notes in each of them and hide them in different spots in his apartment. I try to hide them really carefully so he wont find them all at once. He should find them unexpectly during the year. What do you think about this? </strong>I also thought about talking on one of the hallmark books ( they record your voice ) And I want to change his ringtone on his i phone ( Im not sure if this is possible ) but he always makes fun of me because I sing every song I hear in the radio even if i dont know the lyrics.. so it always ends up  with la la la la la ... ( he says it sounds like jodeling :D ) So it would be fund when I call him I "jodel".  ( I dont think I am jodeling ;)  ) Thank you so much for all of your help, doing all these projects kinda helps me keeping my mind of the upcoming seperation.
    Posted by izzzibizzzi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is a great idea. H and I used to be long distance and he did this one time for me. He hid them when I was in the shower and I didn't know about it until I found the first one. He numbered them and it was so much fun to find them throughout my apartment. 

</div>
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all your answers... time flys by... I only have 28 more days with him...
    I know this doesnt belong in this post, but I just had to write you this. My BF got a text message of his mom saying that the whole family loooved my christmas cards and they thought it was so nice that I thought about all them. 
    My BF told me this and I sayed : I hope they like them because its actually dogs with christmas ornaments hanging around their faces.. ( they look so cute).
    He wrote his mom back... : What a weird girl she is, dogs with ornaments!!!
    his Mom: one you should keep :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards