Chit Chat

Bengal Cat

Seems cats are a popular topic of discussion this week...

Anyone have a bengal cat? Pros and Cons? Are they ok with infants?

Spent some one on one time with two bengals this weekend and am in love!!!!!!!!!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bengal Cat

• freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    I think they are beautiful cats but I really do not agree with designer pets when there are so many cats in shelters that need to be adopted.  I think its just as easy to fall "in love" with a non-designer animal.  Unless you're getting a breed specifically for it's disposition (i.e. a springer spaniel because they're great with kids and you have a family or something like that), I don't agree with purchasing a designer animal just for it's looks.

Most cats, in general, are not great with infants--cats are very independent, and aren't typically as flexible with being carried/tail pulled/etc.--I think it's more important to consider how an animal is with small children rather than infants, since infants aren't exactly capable of chasing an animal or playing roughly with one as a toddler or young child would be.

A quick google search can give you good information on compatibility with kids, or you could ask your vet-probably a better frame of reference than a bunch of women on a random message board...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bengal-cat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c2cd1e24-491d-46d6-8277-0c9fc4278cd9Post:2855a58d-8cdd-4667-b264-44701b807064">Re: Bengal Cat</a>:
    [QUOTE]All cats are a risk with infants.  Bengals are supposed to be good with small children (or at least as good as any cat breed), but they do take constant attention and affection, and according to the owners I know, more training than other cats.  If you're up for basically the time and attention investment of a dog, but with a cat, then that's great.  If not, I would look for a more low maintenance breed. For the record, I agree with freebird in the idea of 'designer pets', but I think there's a big difference between purchasing a specific breed because they're pretty and purchasing one because you are looking for specific characteristics.  Bengals seem to be a good choice for someone who isn't really a "cat person" and wants a cat that is more trainable, playful, and interactive.  That, to me, is no different than looking for a springer spaniel because you have kids.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div> </div><div>Totally agree Stage.  My point was that OP was indicating that she was already in love with this breed, and it sounds like she knows very little about their disposition and compatibility with family/kids.  This  is why I assumed she was "in love" because of their designer characteristics.

</div>
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bengal-cat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c2cd1e24-491d-46d6-8277-0c9fc4278cd9Post:a2ed20ef-5fc5-47b0-a81e-5dea0c647b83">Re: Bengal Cat</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bengal Cat : Makes sense.  I had assumed, since she spent time with them this weekend, that it was more about their nature.  Which I agree is amazing in short doses, but I personally would not want to handle full time in my house.  We have enough trouble with our mischevious 1/2 siamese.  No way would I add the cat equivalent to a ferret to it, personally.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I have a neighbor who has two siamese-they are great but the "We are siamese if you please" song from Lady and the Tramp is very fitting :)
  • That's ladies.

I just wanted some real life feedback if anyone happened to be an owner of a bengal.

I am slowly gathering info about the breed to see if its compatible to what we want. I am very intrigued by their unique personality and will probably start looking into some breeders in the next year. From what I have read yes they are quite a handful but we are previous cat and dog owners. We would love to get a bengal kittie and a pup together. I will keep on searching online.
  • Oh I know, thats a huge factor hanging over our heads right now. My parents cat was a rescue cat and she has made such a huge impact in our life.

We will take our time to think about it
  • As the owner of two Bengal cats that I purchased from my neighbor, I don't see what the difference is in buying a special breed cat from buying a special breed dog? I have a hunch there are people who paid money for their dogs, who might even feel a little irked if someone told them they should have gone to a shelter and not paid money for a "designer dog". I think that is a personal choice. And I am a fundraiser for shelters and rescue groups, so that's not the point. I love rescue.

Well-bred Bengals are people cats. They are highly intelligent. Many learn to use the human toilet and they are like dogs in that they love to play fetch and walk on leashes. They are interactive and good with children and dogs. People seem to say they are less allergic to Bengals than other cats.

I also own two other cats, a rescue tabby, and a rescue Russian Blue. The Bengals are definitely more active than the other two. But in general, my two are no problem at all. My boy loves to sit in my lap and knead my chest. Lol. He is the biggest smooch of any cat I have ever owned. Now that I have had Bengals, I know I will never be Bengal-less. Yes, they are beautiful cats, but I would love a pure black (melanistic) Bengal as much as a rosetted one. It's the purrsonality that I am sold on. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards