Chit Chat
Options

OT- moms with young kids

Our daughter is 15 months old and I think she has croup :( She woke up this morning wheezing, then progressed to the seal bark cough and has just been bad throughout the day and got even worse after bed. We did a steamy bathroom and a humidifier in her room. I called the after hours pedi line because it seemed like she was gasping for air during her last fit (an hour ago) but now is sleeping peacefully. Nurse listened to her symptoms and asked me to hold the phone up to DD so she could listen to her breathe. She said to just keep an eye out, call if it seems worse, and call the office for an appointment in the morning. All good advice, but I feel terrible. DD has never been sick except for a cold and seeing her struggling to breathe was awful. She does seem better now, but does anyone know anything else I could do, or words of encouragement? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: OT- moms with young kids

• Options
     It's scary to see a baby not breathing so well, but I will tell you good job for keeping an eye on her! Your being a great mom by making sure your little one is ok! Do you have a baby monitor? If so, make sure you keep it close to your bed, just incase she wakes up and has another attack... I know that when I get an asthma attack, it is because of an adrenaline rush, so I am thinking because she is asleep, she should be ok! 
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • Options
    If it is croup, she should improve when you take her outside (if it's cooler). My dd had it when she was 10 months old, andwhen her breathing was wheeziest, I took her to the hospital. We were admitted and she was given steroids for a few hours. We were released the following evening (I brought her in around 10pm and we were home for supper the next day).

Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Unfortunately, as a mom, one of the things you have to do is watch your kids suffer sometimes.  I've had to watch my kids get stiches, casts, hold their hand before they went to surgery, all kinds of things I wish they didn't have to go through.  It sounds like you're doing everything right for your little one, keep up the good work! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

One of my grandsons has croup too. It's horrible to hear them cough like that.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards