Chit Chat
Options

Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)

Hey, ladies.  I went to a bridal show a couple of weeks ago and I had a really craptacular experience and I was wondering if any other brides had bad experiences at any of the bridal shows they went to.

First, when I signed up for the bridal show were were promised several gifts, although some were first come first serve.  One of these gifts was a wedding planner.  I was, literally, the first bride in the door, and when I got to the registration table the woman working it told me that since I was carrying a notebook with me (which was just filled with magazine tear outs, btw) that she was wondering if I'd forego my planner since they apparently hadn't made enough.  I was slightly irked, but in the end I agreed to forego the planner.

Then, when I got inside some vendors were pushy and some were downright rude.  David's Bridal was offering a $50 off coupon, but when we went to redeem it we found out that in order to get it, we had to make an appointment before a specific date.  That was fine with me, but there was a woman beside me who was trying to explain that she only got her schedule week to week and wouldn't know what date she could come yet.  The woman at the counter was horribly cruel to her in front of all the people at the booth.

Other vendors, I found, made it very clear that they didn't want our business after they asked our budget.  I'm a budget bride and I understand that weddings aren't always cheap, but I was surprised at how many vendors quickly went from open and wanting to talk to cold and wanting to move on to the next customer just based on the amount total we wanted to spend on the wedding.

We did, however, find a few vendors that understood my needs as a budget bride and were excited to work with us in the future.  Sadly, those booths with all of their love and enthusiasm for the job were the ones I noticed being visited the least.

Afterward, we received phone calls from several booths saying we'd won, but even that was an issue.  The first thing I won was supposedly a 3 day, 2 night trip, but after a little research found out the company is a scam.  The second thing I actually legit won was $300 for a cosmetic procedure of my choice.  However, when I signed up for that booth, it said I'd get the procedure free.  Now they are telling me that they'll only give me $300 and all of the procedures offered are $600-$5000 dollars.  So that is a no go.  Finally, I got a call today about a cruise we had registered for, and when the guy on the phone was confirming our info and found out that we made less than $50000 a year, he took back the prize.  He said we were no longer eligible when the booth had made no signs that our income would determine whether we won or not.

It was just an overall crappy experience.  I know that not all bridal shows are like that, but I was just so sad to have had that as my bridal show experience.

Anyway, sorry that this was so long.  I needed to vent.  Anyone else have any bridal show horror stories to share?

Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)

• Options
    No, all bridal shows ARE like that. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:745b834e-c044-4907-ab94-95513e8131c2">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, all bridal shows ARE like that. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    That makes me sad, tbh.  Several of my engaged of recently married friends have been to bridal shows before and they LOVED the experience.  Then again, they did have a lot more money to burn on their weddings than I do.  They just made it seem like so much fun, so I was expecting things to not be like they were.<div>
    </div><div>Like I said, I still found a few really amazing vendors that I'm excited for, but it took a lot to find them.</div><div>
    </div><div>I guess I shouldn't be surprised I didn't enjoy myself.  When FI and I picked out my engagement ring, we went to all of one place because I could not bring myself to look at any more rings.  I was so done with it after one store.  Haha!  I feel like I'm not made out for all of this wedding stuff sometimes! :)</div>
  • Options
    I think that's pretty typical actually.  Sorry it sucked.
  • Options
    They're all there to sell you stuff.  They're not there to make you happy or give you ideas or anything at all, unless you're buying what they're selling.  It's a bunch of vendors, all in one place for convenience more than anything.

• Options
    What J&K said.  They suck.

And now all those a-holes have your contact info and will bug the crap out of you for months.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:a846f7b5-deee-4040-bafc-9a9a30bb3d9b">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]They're all there to sell you stuff.  They're not there to make you happy or give you ideas or anything at all, unless you're buying what they're selling.  It's a bunch of vendors, all in one place for convenience more than anything.
    Oh, yeah.  I definitely understand that.  I guess I was just bothered that when I was talking to a florist about wedding flowers, once she found out that I only wanted two bouquets, a handful of boutonnieres and an arrangement or two for the altar it was obvious that she no longer wanted my business.  Like, I get wanting to make as much money as possible, but the idea that a vendor would want to make no money over a small amount was kind of appalling.<div>
    </div><div>Luckily, I found another florist who was enthusiastic about my ideas for flowers even though I didn't want a ton and she gave us a smaller quote on calla lilies than the first florist.  Plus, she home grows her flowers and she has so many amazing kinds!  Her displays were even better than the big "couture" florist, as well!</div><div>
    </div><div>We had a similar experience with the bakeries there, as well.  It was like, because we wanted to do something fairly plain and elegant, some bakeries seemed less keen to work with us.  But we found a woman who does cakes out of her kitchen and she was excited to make us a beautiful lemon pound cake for our homey feeling wedding!  Plus, her cakes were divine!  She seemed happy for the work, not critical of our lack of wanting some huge artistic creation.  IDK.</div><div>
    </div><div>But at least I feel better knowing that isn't weird for bridal shows to be crap. :)</div>
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, which show was this?  It wasn't the one in Raleigh on April 17th, was it?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:f27902f2-40b8-4ad3-8018-ebf163929193">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Out of curiosity, which show was this?  It wasn't the one in Raleigh on April 17th, was it?
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]
    Yep, it was.  I've had friends go to ones at the fairgrounds before and they loved it.  I guess my experience was strange compared to my friends.<div>
    </div><div>Why do you ask?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:b26977ce-2270-43b2-9728-62cee9c03d9d">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]What J&K said.  They suck. And now all those a-holes have your contact info and will bug the crap out of you for months.
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

One of the jerks that I DID give my email address to sent out an email with all the recipients in the "TO" section instead of the BCC section and I flipped my shiit on him.  SO unprofessional and stupid. 

• Options
    brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I actually had a great experience at the one bridal show I have attended.  I found the bakery that will be making our cake, and won a door prize (bottle of wine in a cool wine bag made out of a real sail from a sail boat), and the grand prize of the day (huge spa package,  two nights in a romantic cabin on the coast with a private beach with free breakfast, a two hour sailing trip, wine glasses, cake pops, etc.  However, I know my experience is the exception and is uncommon. 

Edit: I also only met one pushy vendor and I ignored him.
  • Options
    I had the same experience with the one I went to.  When I thought about it, it kind of made sense.  I mean, I can't imagine wanting to go to any other situation where I would pay to go into a room where a bunch of people were trying to sell me something.  Why would I want that for a wedding?

BTW, the cruise thing, be glad you didn't qualify.  That was one of those time share deals.  They sign you up for a free weekend somewhere, and it is free, but you have to sit through timeshare presentations the whole time and you never get to enjoy it.  That's why there is an income requirement, because they want to make sure you can afford to buy what they are going to try to sell you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:f2bbfd6c-b975-4771-a6b7-3a915b0bbf19">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the same experience with the one I went to.  When I thought about it, it kind of made sense.  I mean, I can't imagine wanting to go to any other situation where I would pay to go into a room where a bunch of people were trying to sell me something.  Why would I want that for a wedding? BTW, the cruise thing, be glad you didn't qualify.  That was one of those time share deals.  They sign you up for a free weekend somewhere, and it is free, but you have to sit through timeshare presentations the whole time and you never get to enjoy it.  That's why there is an income requirement, because they want to make sure you can afford to buy what they are going to try to sell you.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    Hm, you know I didn't even think that might be why they wanted to make sure we qualified.  We definitely don't need a time share.  My FI's parents have one and we are using that to go on our honeymoon to Disney, so we have no need for one of our own.<div>
    </div><div>FI was just sad because he's been on two cruises and I haven't been on one and he absolutely loves them.  He was so excited about signing up to win one. :(</div>
  • Options
    This is a lesson every bride learns after attending the first bridal show. They only good thing I got was free jewelry cleaner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's just the way it is.  I actually have a good time at bridal shows.  You just need to understand that weddings are a business and you just need to find the people who are willing to work with you based on your needs. 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:79c9ea68-c60a-4c74-a0c3-1ff18ed87261">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long) : Yep, it was.  I've had friends go to ones at the fairgrounds before and they loved it.  I guess my experience was strange compared to my friends. Why do you ask?
    Posted by MeganAngela[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's disappointing.  I went to the one the weekend of January 1st and it seemed pretty fun (for a bridal show, I still hate them in general!).  Granted I wasn't there as a bride meeting vendors, but they seemed to have plenty of gift bags, brides were in good spirits, there were lots of legit give-aways, etc.  I'm sorry you had a crappy time.

• Options
    I went to the show at the Raleigh Fairgrounds last August. I did find some good vendors. I thought that the florist who grows her flowers was very nice! I  recently found out that when you pre-register for the show, your information is given to every vender. So if I ever go back..I will not be registering. It's worth it to pay $2 more if you don't have to get all those emails.
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_bad-bridal-show-experience-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d24bc359-19f5-4650-b672-e8280e4fe21ePost:745b834e-c044-4907-ab94-95513e8131c2">Re: Bad Bridal Show Experience (A little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, all bridal shows ARE like that. 
    This. Never give anyone your real email or phone number unless you want to call them. Nothing is ever free. All contests have a catch. Them's the rules!<div>
    </div><div>Also, most of the vendors have to pay exorbitant pricing to even set up there, so you won't find the lesser known, budget friendly people. My caterer only goes if there are spots left over the day before that they are trying to fill at half price. If it hadn't been for my local board and google, I'd have never found her. ALL of the photographers were too expensive for us, but we found ours on Craigslist. I could have skipped the whole show if it wasn't for the free cake and ideas for flowers. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    =/

i've found that the best bridal shows are the ones that are free and smaller. I've been to 3 shows, one when a friend was getting married and 2 since i've been engaged, and the super big one with the $15 cover charge was a nightmare. the two small ones that were free were a lot of fun and i actually got a lot of good information from it and met a lot of seriously  helpful people. I actually ended up getting my DJ from one of those, because i enjoyed talking to him so much at the show.

the ones that are the best are less well advertised, and less funded, but so far, they've been better (to me) overall.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    Sorry for taking a bit to get back to everyone.  I'm really glad to know this isn't unusual, but sad at the same time because I feel like something like a wedding show should be fun and not a place that makes brides feel bad or upset.

Like I said, we did end up finding a few budget friendly booths, but you could see the scorn that some of the larger booths had for them.  For example, as I was walking around I was talking to my FI about how we needed a videographer, but they are just so expensive.  I heard this loud, booming voice say, "Expensive?  Who said expensive?".  I raised my hand and he pulled me over and asked what our budget was for video.  I told him that we needed it less than $1000, but preferably under $800.  He smiled, and handed me his flyer.  He was $600 for a basic, but really great package.  I was ecstatic!  I stayed and watched a few of his sample videos, and while they weren't some huge production, they were actually quite good for the price.  There was another videographer in the booth beside him and when we passed by she pulled me aside and literally started talking a ton of trash about the guy I had just talked to.  She said that he didn't have her experience and that they could give us what we'd want to keep forever and ever.  I wasn't totally surprised because they want to make money, but I was surprised at her calling him out directly.  And, honestly, to me their videos were the exact same quality except she was asking for $2000 for her basic package and she offered a few other options.  I told her as much and told her that she was way too expensive for us so we wouldn't be using her services and I could just see her start to seeth.

Honestly, I haven't minded the emails so much.  I've actually found other vendors who didn't make it to the show that way.  The calls have been the annoying thing, but those have only been from booths where we actually signed up for something.

LoveMuffins, how do you find the less advertised bridal shows?  I might be willing to go to one more show if there was a different atmosphere that was more accepting of budget brides.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards