Chit Chat
Options

overwhelmed

has anyone here gotten overwhelmed with wedding stuff?  I have over a year to go and already I cant wait until it's over.  We were seriously even thinking of canceling our venue and taking a trip out to vegas to elope.  This is how overwhelmed I am.  I also can;t get over how expensive everything is.  It's horrible.  Can anyone else relate?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: overwhelmed

• Options
    Definitely overwhelmed.  I think it's mostly because I can't actually start doing anything yet, because we are waiting for my military training schedule before we can set a date.  So now it feels like I can't make any progress....
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone can relate.
    Take a deeeep breath.
    If elopement is what you and your FI want to do, and will make you happy. Go for it.
    Otherwise, if budget is what's really getting to you, try to find ways to make it more affordable and more comfortable for you guys.

In the end, it'll all come together. The process should mostly be fun though, not overly stressful (although certain aspects will be).

Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I can TOTALLY relate. We have so far to go, but I'm trying to get the big things booked now so we can get good vendors and have a better idea of costs before being hit like 2 months before the wedding with how much crap is...

Makes me wanna cancel everything and use our wedding account to fly to Vegas and not have to think of linens or caterers or how much is too much for this and that EVER again...
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Do you have a budget? Are you staying within it? Can you really afford that budget? If the money is stressing you, you can always find cheaper options. Can you cut things? Weddings don't have to be big fancy things. They can be low stress.

But, do you want to elope? Would you regret it? We decided that we want to elope for many reasons. We know we do not want to have a traditional wedding just to please others.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Elopement + just the 2 of you.  Is that what you mean?  or do you mean a destination wedding?  They are different...and a DW can be just as difficult if not more than a traditional wedding.  Come over to the Las Vegas Local board if you have questions or want to lurk...
  • Options
    its weird because my parents are paying for it so the budget is pretty high but within reason.  However as I'm thinking about it, is an extravagant wedding really worth it?  Even though they have the money, I just can't justify spending that much money, when at the end of the day its just a piece of paper that says "we're married".  We already put the deposit on the venue, but now I'm thinking of just canceling it and having a nice wedding in Vegas.  Way cheaper and more intimate.  Sigh...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have a sit down with your FI first. Talk about what you two really want & why. Then have a sit down with your parents if you want to scale back or do a simpler wedding.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    The good news is that right now you are so far from the wedding that you don't NEED to be dealing with it.  About a year out I got so worn out from planning and worrying that I tossed my bridal magazines under a bed, threw my planner there, too, and decided not to worry about anything wedding-related for a month.  Giving myself a much-needed break let me relax, and when that month was over, I was more ready to throw myself into planning again.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I am just getting a tiny bit fustrated.  I am having trouble getting everyone the same page to meet up for planning.  To many vacations, house selling, Holy Communions going on right now.  Everyone is just so busy. 
  • Options
    Not overwhelmed. We've been happy as clams the entire time, been planning for 10 months. I have loved having this much time to plan and took everything easy. The DW thing has really worked for us, we couldn't be happier. Dream destination, dream venue, super efficient WC. My only nightmare has been the invitations but only because I'm on the other side of world and changed my mind about the vendor a bit too late. If you're that overwhelmed 11 months out I think you should step back and see if you're really going the direction YOU (both) want.  
  • Options
    I'm a bit stressed, but I tend to focus on all the small things I shouldn't be worrying about anyway, plus I'm planning a wedding + reception, and then a blessing + reception in another country so both families can attend each... so yeah. It's a bit stressful, but no one said it wouldn't be. The costs of things are absolutely outrages, but I find that looking on places like etsy, or even going into Michael's crafts and picking up a book from their bridal section helps to make things seem much more affordable. Big weddings are alot to deal with and they're definitely not for everyone, but no one said it had to be super big! Hope you get things figured out!
  • Options
    Kudos to those who say they're not stressed!  I'm not really stressed about the details of the day or things going as planned, but I'm having trouble keeping everyone sane!  I don't know about anyone else, but both mothers have different opinions on everything and if I don't do what they want, then I'm a bitch and so is the other mom who got "her way."  So frustrating!

Trust me, I've thought of eloping just to avoid the mess, but I know that I would end up regretting it.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was more stressed out at the beginning than I am now. Mostly because of the sticker shock associated with weddings, and the overwhelming task of trying to please everyone. Now that I am six months away, I am looking forward to it a lot more, and have accepted that if we want a larger wedding, it's going to come with a larger price tag. I really wanted to elope or do something small, but it was very important to my FI to have all of his family there, so I had a very hard time accepting the price tag. I can understand being stressed about the money. It's a really hard concept for some people to grasp, myself included. Especially once you see those New Jersey prices!

We decided on a DW in Florida, since all of our family had to travel anyway. It's saving us some money, we are still having all the people we want there, and everyone is really excited for a vacation. Maybe a DW is the way to go for you also.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I find this process very overwhelming only because of my indesiciveness. I cant seem to make my mind up on anything so I understand you 100%. I'm going to tell you like the other brides told me breath and everything will come together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards