Chit Chat

White Tie vs. Black Tie

Not sure where I should post this, but I was just curious as to what the difference is between black tie and white tie.  And then my next question would be, what makes an event a black tie event?

Thanks ladies!
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: White Tie vs. Black Tie

• White tie is the most formal you can get.    Think of states dinners with the president or the Queen.  

Black ties to me means:

full 1-1.5 hour cocktail hour with lots of stationary and passed canapes
    Full premium open bar
    multi-course sit-down dinner (maybe with wine pairings)
    live music during both the cocktail hour and dinner (dj when the band is on break)
    real china, sliver, glasses, linens, etc
    top of the line decor (real flowers, lighting, etc).

The venue doesn't mean as much to me as long as the decor is done right.  I've been to black tie affairs at convention centers before.  They did the deco so well you never knew it.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Here's a link to dress codes:

As for what makes a black tie event, some things I can think of off the top of my head (based on a couple of black tie fundraisers I've been to):

- Live band (NOT a DJ) and probably "classy" music (jazz, classical, music that goes with formal dancing like the waltz, foxtrot, etc.)
    - minimum 4 course, plated dinner, with a server for each table
    - open bar with top-shelf liquor
    - high-end food (think lobster, filet mignon, etc.)
    - evening party
    - high-end favors 

I don't really know what the difference would be if it were upgraded to white tie, since I've never been to a white-tie event.

Also, I wouldn't inflict a "black tie" dress code on a crowd that's going to have no idea wtf you're talking about, so unless your friends and family are regulars on the benefit circuit or something, I'd stay away from making your wedding "black tie."  

imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I used to think the Oscars are white tie and the Emmy's are black tie, but I don't really think that's true anymore.  

I don't think anyone who isn't royalty has white tie weddings anymore.  Either way, I agree with PP that black/white tie formality is about more than just guests' attire.  The whole event needs to be dripping in upscale and formal touches.  It's about the food, the decor, the music and the booze.  
  • Thanks ladies.  I'm totally not trying to make my event black tie, I probably should have made that clear, sorry!  I was actually really just curious because my FSIL was asking about what how formal we wanted the attire so that she can relay the message to their side of the family,

Some background:  FI's family has never been to a "traditional wedding."  Everyone has either eloped or went to the courthouse, so this is a very big deal to my FIL's.  They want their extended family to be appropriately dressed and not "make them look bad."   

I could care less what people wear as long as they have a good time and honestly, their attire won't reflect on me, my FI or his family, it will only reflect the person who wears the "questionable attire."  I told my FSIL that cocktail attire I would assume would be fine.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds like cocktail attire should convey what you are trying to explain to those that are asking.  If they ask you for more detail than that, you could say something like "well, I want you to be comfortable, but if it helps, my cousin said she'd be wearing a little black dress and her husband would be in a suit."  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards