Chit Chat

Pinterest Proposals

Anyone else see these ridiculous "Proposal Rules" on Pinterest? 
1. Ask my parents' blessing
2. Make it a surprise
3. Get down on one knee
4. Use my full name
5. Have someone get it on camera
6. Make sure my nails are done

As if guys don't have it hard enough, then you have girls thinking that these expectations are realistic. 
*VOMIT*
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Pinterest Proposals

• And the 5 carat rings they pin while they're at it.
  • I've seen this. A girl I work with has a GIANT board of her "totally realistic future wedding". There's hundreds of pins on it and this is one of them. She doesn't even have a boyfriend but she starts talking about engagements after she's gone on a second date with a guy. She wonders why they never last long. I'd be scared shitless if I were one of these guys! 
  • misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    Eh, my H did all of those. I think those are big things to a lot of girls and I don't blame them. Although, it was really funny when the camera screwed up and didn't record. But we also talked about all of these things before we got engaged.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:dcbc2cbe-5ce9-45a9-8502-5c240855cb65">Re: Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, my H did all of those. I think those are big things to a lot of girls and I don't blame them. Although, it was really funny when the camera screwed up and didn't record. But we also talked about all of these things before we got engaged.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Most of these things are pretty standard, I think what annoys people like me is that girls come outright and demand these things. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, but did you husband seriously plan his proposal around your manicure schedule?!</div>
  • misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:e487de60-f08f-4935-a42a-0843dcb7fb2d">Re: Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pinterest Proposals : Most of these things are pretty standard, I think what annoys people like me is that girls come outright and demand these things. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, but did you husband seriously plan his proposal around your manicure schedule?!
    Posted by beardownbchs[/QUOTE]

Lol. No, but I think I went with my mom the week before or something. It wasn't out of the ordinary.

I do completely agree with you though on the girls that demand it. It's like handing him a list of everything you want. I would never do that, but things naturally came up in conversation.

Eta: I was mostly joking when I told him I wanted my nails done. In all honestly, I think it may have just been a happy coincidence.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:5dcbb79e-9bcc-47eb-9fdf-9b121f3c3b17">Re: Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pinterest Proposals : Lol. No, but I think I went with my mom the week before or something. It wasn't out of the ordinary. I do completely agree with you though on the girls that demand it. It's like handing him a list of everything you want. I would never do that, but things naturally came up in conversation. Eta: I was mostly joking when I told him I wanted my nails done. In all honestly, I think it may have just been a happy coincidence.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Haha, okay good. Sure it's nice to have pretty nails. but "making sure" is too much for me. I get fake nails and I normally do the pink & whites but for some reason I decided to be obnoxious and get giittery blue tips. The one time I have these ugly nails happened to be the week he proposed to me. So we laugh about that. Too bad I didn't have this list. I don't think he even said my name at all...</div>
  • I've never understood why people still want their father's permission.  I love my dad, but I'm not his property.  I've been a fully self-sufficient adult for years.  I would have found my finacee asking for my dad's permission to be insulting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:f1670854-3f8e-4e64-b8c8-4913c286efaf">Re: Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never understood why people still want their father's permission.  I love my dad, but I'm not his property.  I've been a fully self-sufficient adult for years.  I would have found my finacee asking for my dad's permission to be insulting.
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this.
  • The first traditional 4 I don't have any objection to, but I don't get why brides MUST have them. I had a friend who absolutely refused to consider herself engaged, even after she bought a dress, until her FI made a big spectacle in front of her friends and surprised her. But it's the camera and the nails one that really get me. Seriously? Girls are expecting their friends and family to be hiding in the bushes with a Kodak right after a manicure now? For starters, that's ridiculous, and that partially contradicts the surprise element. I don't get it. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My parents live in TX and FI and I live in MD. When FI proposed, my sister and I were visiting my parents and FI flew out the next day and showed up in their back yard and surprised me. We still laugh because my mom and sisters had to keep me busy and away from the house for a few hours while my dad picked up FI, so we went shopping and for pedicures. Everone (except me)  knew what was going to happen and not one of them sugested a mani to me lol. And I ge manicures all the time, so it wouldn't have been outrageous.  We joke he should have proposed with a toe ring. 

I agree that it's more like a blessing than permission. It was important to me to have my parent's support. I think asking is a nice tradition, although I don't get "use my full name thing". He knows what my name is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BarbiiieeeBarbiiieee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:76bccf66-f3a6-4bf5-b23b-14a037932fb6">Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone else see these ridiculous "Proposal Rules" on Pinterest?  1. Ask my parents' blessing 2. Make it a surprise 3. Get down on one knee 4. Use my full name 5. Have someone get it on camera 6. <strong>Make sure my nails are done</strong> As if guys don't have it hard enough, then you have girls thinking that these expectations are realistic.  *VOMIT*
    Posted by egeurts[/QUOTE]

I guess he should treat you to a manicure first? My FI literally did none of these things. Well, except that it was a surprise, and I was just as thrilled about our engagement.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:76bccf66-f3a6-4bf5-b23b-14a037932fb6">Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone else see these ridiculous "Proposal Rules" on Pinterest?  1. Ask my parents' blessing 2. Make it a surprise 3. Get down on one knee 4. Use my full name 5. Have someone get it on camera 6. Make sure my nails are done As if guys don't have it hard enough, then you have girls thinking that these expectations are realistic.  *VOMIT*
    Posted by egeurts[/QUOTE]
    1. He asked my dad's blessing over the phone because he couldn't meet with him irl, so I guess he got that one right.
    2. The way he did it was a surprise, but the engagement wasn't a surprise.
    3. He jumped out of a closet.
    4. He didn't even use my name because we rarely say names to one another.
    5. He had our security camera running as I wandered around finding the clues for the scavenger hunt that led to him in the closet, but otherwise, lol no.
    6. lol no. lol, lol no.

I GUESS WE NEED A RE-DO.

• My FI was all about asking my dad in person so he did it when  we went home for my mother's birthday-- I knew he was asking and I knew he had bought a ring; I just didn't know when he would propose-- I had to wait 3 months!   But it definitely was a surprise, and I did not have my nails done (defiitely got a manicure that weekend though!)  And he was so nevous he technically didn't get down on one knee-- it was more of a I'm sitting on this bench and I should be on my knee but i'm too nervous to actually do that without falling on my ass.  Either way, I oved every minute of the proposal.

Anniversary
  • Yeah, a list if requirements is ridiculous. The only one my FI did was get down on one knee. It was sort of a surprise but I had an inkling it was going to happen when we were leaving for the restaurant. He didn't ask my dad and neither I nor my dad my were bothered but none of us were traditional.
  • My FH did most of these but the only one I told him I wanted was to ask my dad's BLESSING. I am still a a huge daddy's girl and that is why I wanted his blessing. My FH wanted to do it because my BIL never did, so in my dad's eye, my FH is SIL of the year. I didn't have my nails done but whatever. He wanted pictures done to have printed off for our parents. He completely surprised me with the proposal and using my full name.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • I would have been pissed if he asked for permission and I told him so..... I'm a grown women I don't need permission or a blessing but I can see where some people would like it.
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    My FI and I talked about getting engaged for a long time. I asked if he would let me pick my own ring, he said he preferred it that way (he hates picking out jewelry). I mentioned before that I hoped it would happen on a day where I had makeup on and maybe even my nails done. I asked him to talk it over with my dad first (even though it wasn't necessary, my parents love him). He did all of these things - not because I demanded it, but because I ASKED! 

ETA: I guess we have to do it over again, because he didn't get down on one knee. Then again, he proposed on the plane ride to my best friend's wedding so she'd be the first to see the ring :) Damn him for being so inconsiderate /sarcasm
  • I go back and forth on these "rules". I understand a girl wanted some of these things to happen during the proposal, but to demand them or say no because he didn't do it right? Uh.... no. I guess it worked out for me that the majority of these "rules" were followed, although unintentionally. 
    1. I did tell him I wanted him to ask my dad. He ended up asking both of my parents (over the phone, since they live on the other side of the country), and told them his plan for the proposal. 
    2. Of course I wanted the proposal to be a surprise. Looking back, on it, it was very obvious what was going on right before it happened but I was too oblivious to notice, haha!
    3. This one was another one I asked him to do. He's a "traditional" guy, so I knew I didn't have to worry about it, but I asked anyway (during previous conversations).
    4. Ehhhh.... he didn't. I'm okay with that.
    5. He actually brought a camera with him & gave it to a friend, but no pictures were taken. I got lucky and a stranger video taped it, and so I got the video. But, that was only because this girl wasn't afraid to admit she had been videoing him singing, lol.
    6. This was just a happy coincidence that my nails were done. I had a job interview that morning and having pretty nails makes me happy, so I painted them the day before.
  • You know, I think a PP already said this but most traditional guys already do most of this.  
    1. I told him to make sure my dad knew.  Not because he needed "permission" but because I knew my dad felt that it would be important. 
    2. I didn't care if it was a surprise or not, but boy was it... 
    3. He's a traditional man...He did, but I wouldn't have said no if he didn't. I don't think I'd say no for any reason... heck... he could've used a ring pop...
    4. That's just silly...  
    5. He proposed in front of our entire church, and made sure that it was caputured on camera, because he wanted to share it with the world.  He's really a private guy, and this shocked the heck out of me.  
    6. He did paid for me to do that to. But I'm a nail biter, and he has always hated that.  So, he took me one day about a month before he proposed so I wouldn't think anything was up.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_pinterest-proposals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e707c9b4-1f76-4f2e-9c3e-daab894fc69aPost:a65d8d97-038c-48a5-b684-33d44b3db0a6">Re:Pinterest Proposals</a>:
    [QUOTE]H couldn't get down on one knee. How dare he propose to me in a horse drawn carriage! I obviously should have said no.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Haha - my FI proposed on a horse drawn sleigh. I jokingly told him later if he really wanted to impress me he should have tried balancing on one knee while it was moving! My only requirement was that he put some thought into how he proposed. He sure did :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards