Chit Chat
Options

XP: How much for cake?

We just got a quote from a baker putting a basic cake (round, buttercream frosting) at $11/person. My eyes nearly popped out of my head. That seems outrageous to me.

I know these things vary by region, fanciness, etc, but how much did you pay for your cake? What kind of cake did you get?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: How much for cake?

• Options
    Our cake is part of our package but even for NY, I think $11 a person is crazy. I would go to a different baker. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It'll vary based on the bakers education, years of experience and area. If you're looking in a major city, it's more then likely going to be more expensive then if you go outside the city.

FWIW, I'm in Ontario, Canada about 45 minutes outside of Toronto and we're paying $4/person.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yeah, my cake's pretty basic and it's like, 4.50 a slice.
  • Options
    Mine is only about 2.20/piece
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My cake was about 2.50 a slice for a two tier square cake that would feed 100 people. It too was just buttercreme, but each cake had three layers with filling too.

11 bucks a person seems insane to me, but maybe it's the area you're in? I'd totally be getting second, third and maybe fourth opinions though.
  • Options
    yeah, $11 a person seems crazy. We're paying $300 for a three tiered butter cream cake.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow I would have maybe fainted if I was quoted that price. I know it will depend on your area for what the average prices are, but I would really do some research and price comparisons. Also, maybe ask you local board for recs. We are getting our cake for 1.87 per person! And it is amazing cake.  I got the rec from ladies on my local board so I know they have good reviews! Good luck and hopefully you find something cheaper!
  • Options
    I paid $10/pp for a specialty sculpted grooms cake for H.

For our reasonably detailed wedding cake it was $5/pp. We're in MD, which I'm realising is a very expensive place to be.
  • Options
    Uh...whoa.

We got cheesecake (frosted and stacked just like a traditional wedding cake) for $2.50 pp.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Wow. I would definitely be looking elsewhere. My cake would have been over $2000 with those prices.

My cake was just under 4 a slice. I had 3 tiers. Each a different flavor with a filling. The outside was just basic buttercream with ribbon and flowers.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We paid $1 pp on my bridal cake and a little under $1 for the groom's cake. Both were perfect looking and tasted delicious. The area definitely changes prices quite a bit.
  • Options
    I went with a pretty reputable bakery in Southern California and they charged me $9.50pp for a 4-tiered vanilla cake w/lemon filling and raspberries, fondant and sugar anemones. (The 75 mini red velvet cupcakes and cake stand rental were extra.)

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    That does seem a little high. We paid $7 pp for a 5 tier round cake with flavors, fillings, fondant and a really nice design with cascading sugar flowers. She even made our cake topper an edible McLaren :)
  • Options
    That's really expensive cake! Ours is $3.00/slice for two flavors, three tiers, buttercream frosting.
    Anniversary
  • Options

Hi There,

That is high... even for the Phoenix area... That's where i'm at too. :)

So... I'll tell you that i found both higher and lower... but the best place I found - and our baker of course - is a place called A Piece of Cake.

First off... they have no haggle pricing... it's one price for buttercream frosting and another price for fondant - but both are under $5 per person. Also, the number of tiers, shape, flavor and/or filling do not change the price! I got a 3 tier cake each tier a different flavor with a different filling... a nice design on the fondant and everything - it's exactly what i wanted! Oh... and when we went for the tasting - the cake was SO YUMMY!!!  NO JOKE!!! It was really fantastic! I feel like we're getting the cake at a fantastic price!

You should totally check them out. Their shop is in Mesa. They have a ton of cakes on their website and can do anything else too.

:)

Good Luck!

• Options
    We are paying less than $3 pp for our 3 tier buttercream cake.  Im using one of the best bakers in the area, and I know things are really inexpensive where Im having my wedding, but $11 pp?!?!  Thats just crazy!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Unless the cake boss is coming with the cake, I wouldn't pay $11 a slice. I'm having trouble finding a baker too.

I think we're doing a 2 tier display cake (to cut) and then it's going to be cupcakes or a sheet cake in the back. 

Plus, I can't eat buttercream so the bakers I've talked to have been kinda snippy when I asked what other icing they use
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know what you mean.  The cake was one of our hardest finds!  We are getting married in Malibu and I nearly fainted on every vendor, flowers, photo, etc. 
    We are paying $8/person there.  It is a fairly simple 3 tier, buttercream, different flavors/tier cake. 
    Disappointing isn't it?!
    Time of our lives Anniversary
  • Options
    We're different than most and can't understand spending tons of money on a cake. We have 135 people and have a $300 cake- we are getting is from the local grocery store.

Another way to cut cost is to get a smaller fancy cake from the bakery and then get sheet cakes for the servers to cut in the back. That way you aren't getting a giant cake to feed everyone in the fancy "form."
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards