New Hampshire
Options

Bar

Hey Ladies: Only 8 more days til my big day! YAY! Anyways, here's a question that I have not been able to find an answer to: I just found out that I'm pregnant....I'll be about 6 weeks along on our wedding day. I know that from family weddings I've attended, everyone buys the bride and groom drinks. Obviously, I cannot drink. BUT, we haven't told our parents yet so I'm not sure how to "decline" without having to say"Oh I'm pregnant" We're meeting with our caterer on Sunday so I wasn't sure if I should just say tell them that I will not be accepting drinks? TIA!

Re: Bar

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Maybe tell them that whenever someone buys a drink that you want a vodka/cranberry or a vodka/OJ....then don't have them put any vodka in the drink.  We are going to have to do this with one of my BMs as she is pregnant and isn't far enough along to tell anyone!After the first couple of "drinks" you could tell people that you don't want any more b/c you don't want to get drunk on your wedding night. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    CONGRATS!!  I refused to drink at my wedding because I didn't want to look loopy in my photos (just a sip of the toast - but it was out of character for me not to drink).  I let everyone know ahead of time I wasn't drinking for this reason. Make up a story about a friend of a friend who looked a mess in her photos. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the baby news!!!Maybe it was just me but I was too busy to even drink at my reception. I would have a drink in my hand then put it down on my table and totally forget about it.  Maybe take the drinks if people offer them and put them down and let FI drink them. If you're busy talking with people and dancing no one will even notice that you're not drinking.  
  • Options
    AmyLou09AmyLou09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow congrats on the little one!  Is it a surprise or were you trying?okay sorry I'll stop being nosey and answer your question!Umm if you think your family and friends would find it to be really out of charecter for you to just decline the drinks without giving a reason then yes, I would talk to the caterer and tell them that nobody knows your pregnant yet and when people make you a drink to not add the alcohol.  They should be able to comply as long as they know the drink is for you so I guess you'll have to go up to the bar with the guest who's buying you the drink...hmm that just seems difficult.  Maybe you can just tell your guests that you have a personal waitress who is getting you all of your drinks but thank them graciously for their kind gesture and then just ask your caterer/waitress to keep a glass of juice or soda in your hand at all times?good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Starfish724Starfish724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YAAAY ON BEING PREGNANT!!!! That's super exciting!!!! As for drinks, I would just pass them off to your bridesmaids or FI. I wouldn't leave it up to the bartender to make sure there's no alcohol. Or just tell everyone that you don't want to be drunk on your wedding day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!!You are going to be so busy the night of the wedding. If I were you I would do as others have said, give drinks to FI or one of the BMs. Politely tell you guests you already have a drink but you will hit theirs next. Place it on your table and make sure someone else drinks it for you.You can also tell them you had too much champagne while getting ready. I almost overdid it the day of. I did not want to be a drunk bride and had already consumed enough champagne throughout the day! I had a 9:00am breakfast to be ready for the next morning. Our toast was enough to keep my happy all night. GL!
  • Options
    Steffy3217Steffy3217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on the little one! That's very exciting news! I am usually a heavy drinker (ask Gabs, she can attest to it). I hardly drank at all at our wedding, and really nobody noticed. I found myself getting a drink and then leaving it somewhere, or just not getting to finish it. It should be relatively easy to accept a drink and then pass it along or "forget" about it. As long as you're having a good time, people won't think anything of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha. AmyLou, we weren't trying...far from it! LOL. But we have one on the way so here we go :) And thanks for the advice...I'll definitely keep it in mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tell your guest you have a special drink and that they should say to the bar tender they are getting the bride her special drink. Just talk to the bar tenders before the wedding or tell your coordinator to tell them. This way you don't have to explain anything.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and congrats on the little one   ;)
  • Options
    ninnypooperninnypooper member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Shaun!! That's very exciting news :)I think there are some really great ideas above. Honestly, I barely drank a single glass of water, nevermind alcohol. I was so busy running around seeing everyone and dancing, that I don't know where I would have drinks in. Haha!GL!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards