New Hampshire
Options

mail or go in-person?

I got my marriage certificate already!!!   :)Now, I know the name-change process starts at the Social Security Office...  should I go there and wait in line, or do it by mail?  One of my co-workers said it took almost a month to get her new SS card by mail; would it be quicker if I go to the office in person?  (or do I still have to wait for them to mail me a card?)Then, once I have the new card, I can hit up the DMV, right?  THANKS ladies!

Re: mail or go in-person?

• Options
    BlldandiBlldandi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always just go down to the office, but I believe they still have to mail the card, but I don't remember waiting more than a week and a half for any of mine.  (I used to move a lot and was always forgetting the "safe place" I put stuff in.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the office and it wasn't that long of a wait and had my card about a week and a half later. I actaully went to the DMV the same day, all they did was ask if I had been to the SSN office to change it, I said yes and then changed my liscense. the SSN did give me a paper stating the change which I brough to the DMV in case they asked for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go in person. Do it at a time when "most people" don't have off from work if possible. I only had to wait for 25 minutes or so. Wicked easy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    uggh I still need to do this.. I didn't even know you could do it through the mail. I just have no vaca time to take a day off to go to the ss office.  Maybe I will look into the mail thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the SS office in Nashua on a Friday and was the only one there... they still did have to mail it to you though. Just a warning -- I changed my SS and went straight to the DMV in Merrimack, and they said you had to wait a day before they'd be able to change my license. I know other girls have been able to do this... so maybe it depends on the place?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HMMM, i actually went to the (merrimack) DMV first. I handed them my old license and the certified marriage certificate, and the change of name form. They took my new picture and handed me my temporary license and THEN i went to the ssn office in nashua, it took 10 minutes (it was a monday afternoon *i believe the end of the month and very beginning are the busier times) i also handed them the name change form and marriage certificate. I received my new card in the mail about 2 1/2 weeks later. I still havent received my permanent license yet, its been over a month
  • Options
    jesse1328jesse1328 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same experience...  The Manchester City Clerk told me to go to the DMV first and then the SS office so thats what I did.  The DMV just wanted to see a copy of my marriage license and had me fill out the name change form.  The SS office in Manchester just looked at my ID and marriage certificate and mailed me my new card in about 2 weeks.  I am also still waiting for my new license though!  Yuck!!  It didn't take me more than an hour total between the DMV and driving to the SS office and the time there... but I think you can make an appointment at the SS office if you want to and are pressed for time.
  • Options
    Mrs BabsMrs Babs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the Portsmouth office on a Friday afternoon. I was the only one there, went right up to the clerk and handed her my marriage license and she changed it. She gave me a "receipt" that said I changed it and my new card came in the mail a week later. I didn't go to the DMV that day b/c she said it could take a day to enter their system. I went on Monday morning to the DMV and they didn't even ask me if I'd been to the SS office.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the DMV first and had no issues.  I didn't get to the SS office until a couple of days later - but didn't have to wait too long - and it was the Manchester office!  The only thing that was a pain was finding parking!  GL!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards