Attire & Accessories Forum

Did you choose a dress that's "you" or something totally different?

So, I tried on dresses yesterday and completely fell in love with one (the Alvina Valenta I posted below). It's exactly what I wanted and just perfect for me. I felt gorgeous and like a total princess in it!BUT, the bridal consultant had my oldest daughter choose a dress for me to try on, too. She chose the Jim Hjelm dress below. I made fun of it and said it was ugly on the hanger but when I tried it on? Gorgeous! It's so billowing and light, and really flattering. But, I'm not sure that it's really ME or THE dress. Still, it's such a unique and fun style, and really pretty.WDYT?http://www.jlmcouture.com/Jim-Hjelm/Bridal/Fall/2009/Style-8962

Re: Did you choose a dress that's "you" or something totally different?

• i fell in love with a dress that i thought was perfect and amazing and totally perfect for me and then i went to a david's bridal and the consultant was being kind of annoying about making pick out things to try on so i opened the catalogue to a page and said get this one to make her leave and it's now my dress. i walked around the store in it for a good 45 minutes because i didn't want to take it off. i think that hangers and models in dresses don't do most dresses justice. probably a lot of things will look gorgeous on you. it's only up to you what you pick, but i think you should let go of what you "think you want" or what maybe you thought was "perfect for you". try on a million more dresses! :) good luck!
  • I was in sort of the same situation...I picked a dress that was very gorgeous on, but was definitely not something that I would EVER have tried on. I ended up buying it, but had second thoughts about it for 2 months because it just wasn't ME. I was able to return it and bought my perfect dress that is definitely my style and I am SO much happier!!! The Jim Hjelm dress is gorgoues...in my opinion, you can't go wrong with his designs! But you should choose what you love and feel good in! Do you have a pic of the dress that you loved and felt like "you" in?
  • Omg Jody I LOVEEEEE the Jim Hjelm dress.  When I saw it online a few months ago I absolutely fell in love with it and think its gorgeous, but I haven't tried it on or anything.  Do you have pics of you in the dress? I'd love to see what it looks like on a real bride.....also, what is the price range for that gown.  I think you should go with the dress you feel is YOU and is THE dress!
  • It is $4800, I think. The salon doesn't allow photos, but it's amazing on... I'm a size 14/16 and it's still really flattering even on me (which I didn't think it would be with all of that material!). I know that I will not regret the Alvina Valenta dress one bit... I wore it all around the store, too :) It's just tempting to go wild and get something not like me lol... but then I'd probably regret it!
  • I just saw the Alvina one you posted before......I was confused before and thought the Jim Hjelm was the one you picked out and loved.  Either way both dresses are beautiful, but I must be completely honest and say that I would go with the Jim Hjelm dress because its just so unique and gorgeous. However, as gorgeous as it may be, if you don't feel like YOU in it then definitely go with the Alvina one.  And I wish the darn dress was not almost $5000 because I would go buy it! lol
  • I love the Jim Hjelm dress!  When I went dress shopping, my sister and my mom thought that I would want a simple and plain gown.  In everyday life I dress very casual and simple.  They were so surprised when I started picking out dresses with lace and crystals and a long train.  I loved these dresses!  I do not regret for one second dtepping out of my comfort zone for my wedding dress.  It was my time to shine and I wanted my dress to be stunning.  I say go for it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Jim Hjelm is gorgeous, but go with the dress you could see yourself all night long and for a lifetime in pictures.
  • I'm say that I chose a dress that was very "me." I'm a simple person - I wear simple clothes, not many accessories, nothing fancy. Ever. I knew I wanted a dress with little to no embellishment/lace & that's what I got.That dress is gorgeous, but if you don't feel like yourself in it then I'd keep looking. You have a good amount of time left to look for dresses and you'll know it's the right dress if you try on others and can't stop thinking about this dress.
  • And by the way, your twins are absolutely adorable.
  • I went through the same thing while shopping for my dress just this past weekend.  I have always visioned myself in a full A-line gown and had my eyes on this certain gown that I felt was very me and which I loved, but I tried on a very unique and gorgeous fit-and flare gown and I was so tempted to get it, instead.  I didn't think that style would flatter me but it did.  I thought for a long time about what I should do.  I eventually decided to go with my original dress, because I feel that if I had gotten the other dress, I might not feel it's "me" enough and still think about my original dress.  Unfortunately for me, the 2nd dress was on sale and it was a great price, but I picked the "me" dress, anyway.  I figured I'd want to be ME on my wedding day, then being in a gown that looks gorgeous but not as me.  In your case, I think both dresses are absolutely gorgeous but since you don't feel that the JH dress is you or THE dress AND the price is higher, I'd stick with your original dress.  I am not going to lie to you, I still think about the other dress because of the deal and how it was so unique (maybe I think about it still because it's still very recent. lol) , but I LOVE my dress and feel good that it is a gown that I've always visioned myself in and I look and feel great in it! :)GL with your decision making!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A consultant gave me some good advice when i went shopping becasue all of the dresses were gorgeous - When you look in the mirror do you see the dress? or do you see YOU in the dress? Its important that you see the whole package of yourself in the dress and are not just focusing on staring at the dress, becasue they are all pretty. This helped me.
  • Totally your choice, however I love the Valenta, fwiw.
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE the Jim Hjelm dress....but way out of my price range. :) Go for it!
  • Everyone who has seen my dress has said that it is so "me". Very va-va-voom and old-world glamourous, which is a style that I absolutely love... I can't wait to wear it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • ...sooo you should totally go for the one that is "YOU". You're going to feel the most beautiful in it!   Sorry, I posted the first part too soon :P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards