Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Short, Plus Size, Conservative Bride needs style advice!!!

Ok, so I am short (5'3") with an average length torso and very short legs and arms. I am genuinely large boned but even for that I am overweight. Here's a picture that shows my body flaws pretty accurately: As you can see, I'm moderately large busted (DDs here) but my belly shows up farther than my breasts. Although I am very active (90 minutes of cardio 4 days a week, been doing this for 10 years) and I have grown up with minimal meat and fat (meat only twice a month) I am still rather overweight. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, leading to the weight gain. Here's the trick: My waist can fluctuate four to six inches within any given month, more likely six inches if I have skipped my period. I literally have everything from a 14 to a 22 in my closet, and it all fits within some time of my cycle. Third day of my period and I am back into my smallest clothes again. Thus, I cannot wear a wedding dress style that relies on a fixed size waist, as it is nearly guaranteed it will not fit me the day of. Here's a jacket I think works on my figure very well: As you can tell my hips and legs are rather slender compared to the rest of me. Okay so I'm planning on making my wedding dress, as I do sew rather well and I have so many fit issues to work with that would double the cost of my wedding dress. Here's a hilarious try on that made me look rather dumpy IMO, but the saleslady tried to say would work on me: I mean I like it but I'm not sure it did a thing for my body type at all. I think it just made me look more like a hobbit than I already do. And, alterations on it would double its cost. But here's the clincher: This is a pattern I already have, but I wonder if you gals think it would look halfway decent on my body type. My fiance and I are more Medieval and Renaissance aficiandos than anything else, we're not into what's hot in fashion. I'm not willing to wear spaghetti straps or strapless, or anything that shows cleavage. Sorry for so many pictures. Let me know what you think!
Married in civil ceremony November 4th 2009 "Vow Renewal" ceremony August 28th, 2010

Re: Short, Plus Size, Conservative Bride needs style advice!!!

• Options
    Actually, that type of dress is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, after reading your post. I think it will hide your "flaws" perfectly. I really like that dress. ;)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Beautiful!  You'll truly look like the Princess Bride on your wedding day.
    Dr. Googs is married to Mr. Pelvis. Happily ever after!
  • Options
    I would say look at more of a german renaissance neckline.  that V looks a bit deep if you want to go conservative with the bewbies.  I do completely agree with the lines of the dress and sleeve.I am 5 feet, size 22 and feel very hobbity myself.  I wanted to go with a dress like the one you have chosen to make but the FI said no way.I am looking for a picture of what i mean right now.  i will get back with you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I really like the dress a lot, and if you are sewing it, you can alter the neck line to fit your cleavage all in there. Have you thought of making a corset back, so even if you are much smaller, the dress would fit, and if you are having one of your larger months, there would just be more fabric/string in the back? This way you can somewhat alter how large the dress will be.
  • Options
    I think the pattern you have would work great and I agree with the pp that adding a corsette back might be easier for you.  Please post pictures when you are done, I would love to see how it turns out!
    MyBio
    Yes I am.....Living the Dream
  • Options
    Thanks. Yes the corset back is a good idea, I'll have to see if I can find help incorporating it into this pattern. I was planning on raising the neckline.My dress has to have SLEEVES not just straps, to get married in my church.I've tried empire style dresses and unfortunately they make me look VERY pregnant. Also I am not looking for anything REMOTELY modern, so your brand name designers are out.
    Married in civil ceremony November 4th 2009 "Vow Renewal" ceremony August 28th, 2010
  • Options
    I'm am shaped quite like you [only bigger] and my Mom made me a very similar pattern a number of years ago for me and it turned out wonderful! My one warning is that the similar pattern we used was designed for the waist to go in a fair amount, so you will need to make sure you alter the pattern just right. Making up a mock version can be really helpful. If you like lace, the sleeves also look beautiful with it, if that is covered enough for your location. I thought about having a Renaissance-style dress and passed on it because I had worn several before to other events and wanted something different, but I like the idea. Its unique, and if it suits your personality then you will be happy!
  • Options
    Okay so I got married, but it was JOP, so we're actually scheduling a wedding now, for August 28th. I've lost my belly by losing 50 pounds (and I ate more and had more fat intake to do it!) but here's the dress I eventually chose.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards