Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Pricing Help Please

Hi Girls!I am newly engaged and the first of my group of friends to get married so I do not have much experience in the wedding world. What is the average price for a dress? A few of the dresses I liked were around $995, is that alot or a good buy?

Re: Dress Pricing Help Please

• Options
    Dress prices range alot from a couple of hundred bucks to $10K. You should figure out what is your budget to spend on a dress. If $1000 falls within your budget then it's a good price. Otherwise keep looking until you find a cheaper dress. Good luck searching!
  • Options
    It seems to me that a lot of people here tend to buy a dress in the $500-1500 range, but there are tons of exceptions on both ends of the spectrum. I've seen gorgeous gowns here that people spent $300 or less on, and some people have spent $3000 or more on theirs. Take a look at your overall budget and decide for yourself what would be an appropriate amount to spend. About 5% of our entire wedding budget is going to my attire. Don't forget that you'll likely need alterations, and you may also need some new undergarments, plus your jewelry and accessories. The attire budget doesn't end as soon as you purchase the gown itself. (And don't forget your FI's outfit in the Attire budget, either.)When you go shopping, tell the saleswomen what your budget is, and they should only bring you gowns that fall in your price range - so you don't fall in love with something too expensive and then have a difficult choice to make. If you need help findnig a place that caters to certain budgets, your local board can help you. But if you love something out of your budget, there are ways to get around that. You can look for the gown on eBay, Craigslist or resale websites (preownedweddingdresses.com, savethedress.com, oncewed.com, etc.). You can contact wholesalers and get the dress for a lower price without the salon's markup (Pearl's Place, RK Bridal, Netbride, etc.). If the salon sample is close to your size, ask if you can purchase that, since it's less expensive than a new gown. You can post a picture here and ask if someone can suggest a copycat model from a less expensive designer.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for the great advice and references. Great help!! Thank you!!!
  • Options
    That's a great buy!!! So far, the dress I'm going with is $5450.00. If you find a dress you like at that price, go for it!!!
  • Options
    I recommend sorting out the three top vendors most important to you.  For me, it was photography first, food and alcohol, then videography.  After I booked those first, I saw what I had left and I had a better idea of what I could afford for a dress.For my 15k wedding, my dresses will total less than 1k, if that gives you an idea.  My photography and my videography, on the other hand, totaled about 3.5k!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    $995 definitely fits into my budget, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off at all. I truly believe research is important, especially when you are spending this kind of money. (WHOA!!, who really knew how expensive a wedding could be, right!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards