Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Coordinating jewelry - bride and BMs

Does the jewelry the bridesmaids wear have to match that of the bride? E.g., I'm wearing pearls; do my girls have to wear pearls? I was thinking of getting them matching necklaces with a pendant that matches the theme of the wedding, but they're in silver. My florist said that we all should match, but I thought I was supposed to set myself apart. I'm also not sure that pearls will go best with their dresses. So I'm a little confused by what she said. Am I wrong? Thanks!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
photo by Scott Metzger
kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

Re: Coordinating jewelry - bride and BMs

• Options
    None of my BM jewelry matches. They have different dresses so different jewelry. I think the best you can do is coordinate their jewelry for them. Some people have long necks, a necklace looks great on them, some have no necks, a necklace would not look becoming on them. Consider your BM, not a uniform look.
  • Options
    That's a good point. My bridesmaids will all be wearing the same dress, but it was actually my maid of honor who pointed out that I could buy them all jewelry if I wanted them to match. I had thought originally that I could just say, "wear silver or white gold" and leave it at that, but I saw these pendants and thought that might work. Now I'm getting all confused! :)

photo by Scott Metzger

Anniversary

• Options
    Omg, if your BMs don't wear matching jewelery, you WON'T REALLY BE MARRIED.Very, VERY few aspects of wedding planning are that cut and dry. The next time you're faced with such a question, ask yourself: 1. Will you still be married if you do it this way or that? and 2. Will you terribly offend anyone if you do it this way or that? The answers to those 2 questions should tell you whether or not it really matters.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    No, they don't have to match you. Necklines don't need to match, either, and they don't have to wear the same fabric as you. As long as your dresses are on the same level of formality, you're fine. (So no BM sundresses if you're in a formal gown, and long elegant BM gowns would look odd if you're in a short, sassy cocktail dress). I think your idea of just giving them a basic guideline is good. You can certainly buy them matching jewelry if you want, too. My take - I'm just going to ask them if they already have something they want to wear, and will buy them jewelry if they don't have anything and would need to buy something new. I very much doubt they'd re-wear anything I'd buy for them (unless it were real pearls or diamonds that they could keep for the future), so I'd rather spend that money on a more personal gift for them.
  • Options
    I suggest that it will look better for you to be set apart from the girls. I have been to many many weddings and I have always seen the bride in something different than her maids. I reccommend Macy's jewelry department or Parisian jewelry. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback (and thanks for the laugh, ring_pop)!  It was surprising to hear my florist's comment, and my MoH's suggestion, and since they have way more experience with weddings than me (this is the first wedding I've ever been in, well, except for being a lector), I guess I thought they knew some protocol that I didn't.  So thanks for reminding me to go with my own instincts!

photo by Scott Metzger

Anniversary

• Options
    Thumbs up. Just remember that most of the wedding industry is BS. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards