Attire & Accessories Forum

I have time right?

Hi, So I just got engaged in August and this is my first post. My fiance and I decided on October 2011, the exact date not yet decided. I was looking at photos and found a dress that I absolutely love by Maggie Sottero - Brielle. http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=Brielle&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=15&style=A3185 I think its still early for me to start dress shopping and was hoping to start next year but many of my family and friends think that the dress may not be available then. I don't know how long dresses are available for but does any one have any thoughts, experiences anything that they could offer as help. All of this is new to me so I am a bit lost. Thanks!

Re: I have time right?

• First, set a definite date and location. What happens if you buy this dress now and then settle on a casual wedding? This dress might look out of place. You need a ceremony and reception site set in stone before you start shopping for a dress. Try things on before you settle on a dress. When I first starting looking for a dress, everything I loved online looked like crap on me. You may love it on the model but hate it on yourself. Even if this ends up looking great on you, you should still try on some other things to see if something looks better. This dress style is VERY common nowadays. So even if this one is discontinued by the time you're ready to buy, you can likely find something very similar from another designer. Or you could buy a used/new Brielle from another bride. I'm wearing a Maggie Sottero from several seasons ago, so it's not like everything is automatically discontinued after one season. You have a lot of time, so relax. Look around all you want, but don't commit to buying just now. Start shopping with intent to buy around 10 months out.
  • Agreed, set a date/location and decide on the formality of your wedding first.  This dress will probably still be available in a year, and so will new styles. 
  • That's a beautiful dress, but you'd need to try it on to be sure. I bought a dress I liked online, but it wasn't my first choice. It just so happened to be the first I tried on and it looked amazing.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Thanks for all of your advice. The more I think about it and read what you all wrote I think your right. It is still too early for me. I don't even think I am ready to start looking. Thanks again!
  • Hello! I just wanted to say congrats! and i got engaged in august and we have the same wedding day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards